Pops Easter Pork Boston Roast, Boned and Rolled, Cured and Smoked!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, had a hiccup - ran out of propane around 5pm, internal maxed at 137°.  It'd be enough for partially cooked ham, but... wanted to still get it over 145° for fully cooked.  What's a smoker to do?  Command the oven, of course!  Luckily the wife had to take the granddaughter home so I had free license to make an executive decision (as long as she wasn't planning on using the oven for dinner, lol!) and confiscated the appliance for desperation's sake!  She got home, explained to her what happened and she immediately said, "You mean I have to take you to get a refill?" (as she was really wanting to sit down and catch up on Facebook and have a cup of fresh coffee I'd so artfully prepared for her and watch the news)....   "Nah, honey, I just stuck them in the oven at 250°for an hour or so, only have to get them to 145° or so.... sit down, relax, we'll have a quick stove-top supper tonight, I'll fix it, you take it easy darling!' as cured and smoked pork wafted gently through the house.  I'd sold my truck as I can no longer drive, so she happily agreed and sat down to watch Judge Judy and sip her coffee!

So, just a little hitch, they on longer need smoke, just heat and the oven will suffice!

Oh yes, and I fixed dinner in the oven too!  Pot pies and french fries!  Turned it up to 400°, put the roasts on the top shelf and the rest underneath!  They got a little brown, but delicious!  

Slicing Qview:

It was like I had suspected; the injecting and curing tenderized it, plus the low temp, 225° for most of the day!  It is as comparable to any ham, and better than commercial hams processed in 3 days start to finish!  Great flavor and a great meal!   I am proud to serve this on Easter!

Oh, the cauliflower and peanuts on the new A-Maze-N Matz?  Wow, delicious!  Smoked in a fraction of time vs. having the pan with the grate with the stockinette with the nuts/veggies on it!   SOOO much easier and quicker, and the Matz fully supported the product even on that wide-spaced grate, no sag or nothing!  SUPERB PRODUCT!

I can see a TON of uses for these!  

Oh, and the modified recipe?  Stupendous!  Not too sweet, not too salty!  To Recap, and this will now become my "standard" brine recipe:

Pop's Curing Brine Recipe:

1 gallon of cold water

½ cup plain non-iodized salt

½ cup white sugar - sucrolose

½ cup light or dark brown sugar - brown sugar/sucrolose mix

1 oz. (heaping tablespoon) pink salt Cure # 1

Stir together with spoon, do not heat, elements will dissolve and remain in suspension throughout the curing process.  If injection is needed, draw from mixture and inject, then cover with enough brine for product to float slightly and be completely covered with brine in an apppopriate-sized food safe container (
 ), weigh down with ZipLoc[emoji]174[/emoji] bag half-filled with water and squeeze out the air,   and immediately refrigerate.

Oh, and the modified recipe?  Stupendous!  Not too sweet, not too salty!  To Recap, and this will now become my "standard" brine recipe:

Pop's Curing Brine Recipe:

1 gallon of cold water

½ cup plain non-iodized salt

½ cup white sugar - sucrolose

½ cup light or dark brown sugar - brown sugar/sucrolose mix

1 oz. (heaping tablespoon) pink salt Cure # 1

Stir together with spoon, do not heat, elements will dissolve and remain in suspension throughout the curing process.  If injection is needed, draw from mixture and inject, then cover with enough brine for product to float slightly and be completely covered with brine in an apppopriate-sized food safe container (
 ), weigh down with ZipLoc[emoji]174[/emoji] bag half-filled with water and squeeze out the air,   and immediately refrigerate.
Hi Pops,

I tried this exact recipe to cure some ~4 lb fresh pork leg sections (bone-in, skin off).  I injected and cured the sections for 12 days in a 37 deg frig, and made sure the pork was submerged the whole time.  However, I didn't keep a close eye on the brine, so when I pulled the pork out after 12 days I found out that the brine had gone "ropy" with some blue blobs floating around.  Any tips on how to keep the brine from going ropy?  Thanks for any expert advice!

Clarissa

Looks great Pops!!

Great Qview of the sliced Ham, and I love the BearView that appears when I left click on that picture!!!

Thanks for a great post!

Bear

Hi Pops,

I tried this exact recipe to cure some ~4 lb fresh pork leg sections (bone-in, skin off).  I injected and cured the sections for 12 days in a 37 deg frig, and made sure the pork was submerged the whole time.  However, I didn't keep a close eye on the brine, so when I pulled the pork out after 12 days I found out that the brine had gone "ropy" with some blue blobs floating around.  Any tips on how to keep the brine from going ropy?  Thanks for any expert advice!

Clarissa
Either the water or the container was contaminated, or the ingredients not stored properly.  Change the brine to fresh brine and inspect the meat to make sure it had not soured.  The only thing that otherwise can deteriorate is the product itself was not washed off and had bacteria on it which was introduced into the brine.  Some blood will seep from the meat, but normally will not contaminate it unless meat is over a week old in the air.

Looks great Pops!!

Great Qview of the sliced Ham, and I love the BearView that appears when I left click on that picture!!!

Thanks for a great post!

Bear

Oh..you mean the Gallery View. 

For whatever reason (too much light in the room, I think) the flash didn't go off, even after a couple shots, but good enough to submit.  Without the flash, the color was muted somewhat and the Qview was off-color, not reflecting the true pink color of the meat.

Oh..you mean the Gallery View. 

For whatever reason (too much light in the room, I think) the flash didn't go off, even after a couple shots, but good enough to submit.  Without the flash, the color was muted somewhat and the Qview was off-color, not reflecting the true pink color of the meat.
I know what you mean, but when you zoom in to the huge BearView, you don't need as much light. Looks mighty tasty!!!

Bear

Either the water or the container was contaminated, or the ingredients not stored properly.  Change the brine to fresh brine and inspect the meat to make sure it had not soured.  The only thing that otherwise can deteriorate is the product itself was not washed off and had bacteria on it which was introduced into the brine.  Some blood will seep from the meat, but normally will not contaminate it unless meat is over a week old in the air.
As always, thank you for the info.

Clarissa

Looking great so far!!!! one question. i used your brine on a 8 lb. but and weighed close to 6 after i boned it out and trimed ect. i smoked it on day 14 of brining. i see you are brining these for 3 weeks. mine turned out great with your brine. could you tell me about the additional week of brining [what that one more week does]? thanks.  nice to see someone do a great job on the butcher knot and the tying the butt son nice. looks like you have the same knives i have? Forshner Victorinox. these are the knives we used when i was still working. thanks Reinhard

Looking great so far!!!! one question. i used your brine on a 8 lb. but and weighed close to 6 after i boned it out and trimed ect. i smoked it on day 14 of brining. i see you are brining these for 3 weeks. mine turned out great with your brine. could you tell me about the additional week of brining [what that one more week does]? thanks.  nice to see someone do a great job on the butcher knot and the tying the butt son nice. looks like you have the same knives i have? Forshner Victorinox. these are the knives we used when i was still working. thanks Reinhard
Timing is all, just wanted to smoke right before Easter, the extra time doesn't matter as long as they are kept refrigerated.  You can keep product in the brine for up to 45 days with no difference, done it many many times.  When you are using 1/3rd the amount of maximum cure, it allows flexibility; whereas full strength cure does not.

Yes, meatcutter 40+ years; raised in a meat market long before elastic netting was invented.  You had to tie it right or cut off the strings and redo it according to my dad!   After all the strokes, it took me a long time to tie these, but finally got it done and none of them would have been acceptable for my dad!  (¾" apart, perfectly spaced and all knots in perfect line and perfectly parallel to each other!  Or, re-do it until it is correct!).  See my butcher knot link in my sig line - had to go back to that to re-learn how to tie one, but learned it for the opposite hand as my good (left) hand was severely numbed by the strokes.  Good, common sense knives for general butchery/meatcutting, reasonably priced, replaceable; not like a fine chef's knife for hundreds and hundreds of dollars; more like $12 - $70.  Dexter/Russell, Forschner Victorinox, CaseXXX, and still have some old old old Dexter carbon steel knives too, wood handled.

This meat looks outstanding pop, if you or anyone on here needs a meat taster feel free to contact me. I am in for lagre bites :)  peace Happy Easter to all:)

Larry

Had some of the butt roast today for lunch, my favorite - grilled!

about a 1" piece with mixed veggies:

Just delicious and tender!  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky