Playa Del Carmen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I sorry I have not been posting much. Something about posting on this forum still makes it hard thinking about losing Gretchen and I have not really made anything worth posting lately. I am at the turning point I think. My hands got a lot better while on prednisone but have gotten pretty bad again since I been off it. I got doc appt Jan 11. I am meeting my brother and wife in Playa Del Carmen tomorrow. Anyone been there recently? Been over 20 years since I have gone. Was looking for places to eat and drink? We are staying at El Faro on Calle 10 Nte near the beach. I always loved the whole Red Snapper grilled in Cancun.

Glad you are feeling better. Enjoy Playa. I've been to that resort area, mostly down around Riviera Maya many times. . Have never went into Playa.

Glad you are feeling better. Enjoy Playa. I've been to that resort area, mostly down around Riviera Maya many times. . Have never went into Playa.
I hope doc gets something figured out on my hands. Cant hardly use them in the mornings again. Got to have something do to inflammation since that prednisone made them feel a lot better while on it. I pretty nervous about travel. Been a long time.

I just got back from Playa Del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, and also stayed in the Xcarat resort area.

Isla Mujeres beats all of the above, 10x fold.

Undoubfly, you're going to be steered to somewhere on 5th Ave, which is touristy as touristy gets. You're going to be bombarded every 10-20 seconds when you're just trying to mind your business. Just a warning. Personally, I hate 5th avenue and avoid it like the plague.

For drinks, expect to pay a pretty penny. They're not cheap, average is going to be $12-15USD on 5th avenue for a mixed drink. Many places will have "2x1" signs but be very careful what they truly mean by that. Usually it means for one person, not you and the wife. I just found out it also means that you have to order the same exact drink twice, even if both drinks applied to the price. Stupid as sin. I got totally ripped off

The place that did it to me was La Vagabunda De La 38, which isn't even on 5th ave. Food sucked, drinks sucked, and my bill for a late night snack + a few drinks was $75 USD. Never again (beware, they have a location on 5th as well).

For the same price, we had a VERY nice dinner, with better drinks, in front of a cenote on 5th. I recommend going to Aldea Corazon. If they don't have a 2x1 sign in front, just ask them to give you the deal and they will.

IMO, we recommend going to 25th Avenida nte / Benito Ave (it's the main section in town) and hit the local taco trucks. $2 a taco and beats anything else there.

You can drink on the streets there. Just do that rather than spending $15 on a drink!

The best "local" restraunt if you want to go sit down and eat is going to be El Fogón (we heard this over and over again).

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
There is on place on the main drag facing the ocean not far from Carlos n Charlies, can't remember the name but there are stairs at the street level that go up to the second floor where the restaurant is. The view is terrific, and they have really HUGE Lobster that is to die for. They usually have someone at the bottom of the stairs hawking their menu and attracting business. I wish I could remember the name. Mexican and Seafood Cuisine.

Sorry about your hands , but you will get them fixed when you get back Brian.
Can't help you on the dining out as we always stayed done in the Riviera Maya, and went to town just to shop and things.

Enjoy the trip. And we will be here when you fell up to getting back to some smoking.

As you know it is hard to lose a great family member.

David

Safe travels
Not a clue on Mexico vacations. Haven't been there in 45 years and that was west coast.

Hands, I may have some help.
About 10 years ago my hands started getting very achy.
Wife did some research and suggested removing aspartame from my diet.
Argh, diet Mountain Dew was my best friend.
Well in a few months I was aspartame free and caffeine free.
Started taking fish oil and glucosamine with chondroitin on a regular basis.
It really helped reduce the achy hands and made a big difference in the arthritis symptoms in my knees. Still needed my right knee cleaned up with the harpoon (arthroscopy), but the doc said to schedule for cushioning shots. I haven't been back for a shot.
Good luck

Reactions: Barefootdog
I sorry I have not been posting much. Something about posting on this forum still makes it hard thinking about losing Gretchen and I have not really made anything worth posting lately. I am at the turning point I think. My hands got a lot better while on prednisone but have gotten pretty bad again since I been off it. I got doc appt Jan 11. I am meeting my brother and wife in Playa Del Carmen tomorrow. Anyone been there recently? Been over 20 years since I have gone. Was looking for places to eat and drink? We are staying at El Faro on Calle 10 Nte near the beach. I always loved the whole Red Snapper grilled in Cancun.
Last time I was there in 2006 we found a place called The Blue Lobster. It was either very good are the drunken condition gave a false sense of taste lol. I did enjoy the 2 days we were there before moving on to Cancun. Hope you have a great experience there.

Unfortunately I havent been down there for about 9yrs on my last cave diving trip 🙁. So most places have probably turned over. It’s easy to get ripped off but you can also find some great places. Enjoy!

I took a look and it appears Manne’s is still there. Old school Playa and Manne is a great guy. I once had beef ribs out of his huge rotisserie oven. Worth a visit:

Exit: Manne used to serve mescal made by some friend of his and poured it out of Jagaermeister bottles. Consume at your own risk… 🙃

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
We've been going to Cozumel for years now. Couple of years back we took the ferry across to PDC. Streets are crazy full with pushy vendors. We ate lunch then hit the ferry back to Cozumel. We've seen PDC and have no desire to go back

Yep, just avoid 5th. Once you avoid 5th, there doesn't seem to be much else IMO. I'm sure there is, but we didn't stay there long enough.

Thanks everyone. I was going to go to Florida to visit Tom and Linda. Kind of off season there and thought this would be fun plus no drinking and driving:emoji_wink: Over twenty years ago we use to go Cancun fairly often. Week kind of long time but will be OK. I normally ready to go home after a few days but I always had dog to get home to.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Safe travels
Not a clue on Mexico vacations. Haven't been there in 45 years and that was west coast.

Hands, I may have some help.
About 10 years ago my hands started getting very achy.
Wife did some research and suggested removing aspartame from my diet.
Argh, diet Mountain Dew was my best friend.
Well in a few months I was aspartame free and caffeine free.
Started taking fish oil and glucosamine with chondroitin on a regular basis.
It really helped reduce the achy hands and made a big difference in the arthritis symptoms in my knees. Still needed my right knee cleaned up with the harpoon (arthroscopy), but the doc said to schedule for cushioning shots. I haven't been back for a shot.
Good luck
I need to get back to my low carb fasting thing. I kind of been messing up for a while now. Hands are so painful at night and morning. Still bad during the day. They where almost back to normal while on that prednisone which says something.

$2 a taco and beats anything else there.
Brother said by ferry last time but not there. I think you talking about couple blocks up from ado busses? Everything going great so far. Got really good fish last night.
20231207_180513.jpg

Brother said by ferry last time but not there. I think you talking about couple blocks up from ado busses? Everything going great so far. Got really good fish last night.View attachment 682870
That looks great.

Yep, the local taco stands are 2-3 blocks up from the ADO bus stop. There's there Banco in the deperatment store there that has the best exchange rate as well.

Good looking whole fish. 👍 I forget exactly where, but several blocks off 5th, near the van pools there was a huge open fire chicken roasting shack, always wanted to try it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky