Philly Cheesesteaks and Webbers (Step by Steps & Short History included)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice looking sandwiches, Bear, and they sound very tasty.

I've had a few of those in past when I lived and worked in Philadelphia, and occasionally the Allentown/Bethlehem area for business. I quickly learned the the cheese steak world changed abruptly once you crossed I 276 heading North. I stopped one afternoon around Coopersburg or Quakertown at a little joint that had a big sign praising their famous cheese steaks. I ordered one and when I went to eat it I noticed some red sauce and thought I got the wrong order. The server confirmed that the order was correct and confirmed that all of the places around that area did pretty much the same, but their "Secret" sauce was considered the best. The sandwich was pretty good, but I guess I was a little let down as it was not what I was expecting, being a true Philly cheese steak purist. One thing I vividly recall on the menu was a German pizza. When I asked the server about it, she told me it was a pizza with their sauce, the steak meat, fried onions, and jalapenos. Dumbstruck, I paid my bill and never returned.

I have to side with JJ on the subject, and for the most part, I'm a "Wit & Wiz" kind of person. I found that the secret with the Cheese Whiz is for it to be well blended with the meat and onions rather than just flopped on the top. As JJ mentioned, my first choice is well aged sharp imported Provolone, but not many do that. Processed American cheese isn't a consideration. And, to me, green peppers, mushrooms, and the other things that some places add, are something of an alien invasion to a true Philly cheese steak.

SQWIB is correct that Pat's and Geno's are tourist traps. There are any number of places that make a much better sandwich, but to a cheese steak virgin, a visit to either one of them, particularly Pat's, is something of a rite of passage. I read recently that, on a busy day, Pat's sells around 3,000 sandwiches so they are certainly something right

Yup those look very good Bear! 
32.gif
  I'll second your statement that you need to get 2 webbers at The Pub - 1 just won't get you where you need to be 
th_anim_burp.gif
     I make it a point to go there when I'm in the area visiting family. About 15 years ago there was a stand in the Q-Mart that had good ones but it closed down a long while back...

Nice looking sandwiches, Bear, and they sound very tasty.
Thanks dis1 !!

Bear

Yup those look very good Bear! 
32.gif
  I'll second your statement that you need to get 2 webbers at The Pub - 1 just won't get you where you need to be       I make it a point to go there when I'm in the area visiting family. About 15 years ago there was a stand in the Q-Mart that had good ones but it closed down a long while back...
Thank You Jeremy!!

Yup, they're small & expensive, but worth it. I'm glad Somebody else here has had Pub Webbers, and knows how good they are. Smitty's that I mentioned in my OP made the only ones that were better, and that's the place that gave birth to the Webber. Smitty's is gone for about 40 years now!!! The Pub's the only place left that makes them right. We only get them if I go to Quakertown to one of my many Drs, because Mrs Bear won't go in a Bar without me. So I got a standing order----2 Webbers for me, 1 Webber for Mrs Bear, and an order of Fries for my trip home (about 18 miles).
biggrin.gif

You know Q-Mart too??? That place has so many stores & they change hands so often, I can't keep track of them. There used to be a place there that made little chickens & small Hams in a rotisserie.

When I was young the newer Q-Mart part wasn't there, and all they had there was the long string of small shops on the right called "The Farmers' Market". They auction cattle there & everything. When I was 10 years old I got my first non-farm job there----unloading watermelon trucks for 50 cents an hour with two of my 5th grade buddies. We were allowed to take a break & eat one if somebody dropped the toss from the truck, so we unionized early. The hotter it got outside, (OOOOPS) the more often we dropped them.
biggrin.gif

Bear

You got me jonesing for a cheesesteak so it's Cheesesteaks and Webbers for dinner tonight. I'll report back with my review...JJ

Update: The Webber was quite good, a bit messy to eat but a unique change of pace. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

You got me jonesing for a cheesesteak so it's Cheesesteaks and Webbers for dinner tonight. I'll report back with my review...JJ

Update: The Webber was quite good, a bit messy to eat but a unique change of pace. Thanks for posting.
Thank You Jimmy!!

Yeah---The trick is getting the right amount of Mayo in it----The ones I made were about right---I had a Heaping TBS total for both Sammies.

Also you have to keep the Tomato pieces to a minimum, because they will really make it too "watery--messy" if you have more than I had in the picture, in my Original Post.

I don't overload it with lettuce either, because that's the way the Pub does theirs, and theirs are Awesome!! Too much lettuce will dilute the flavor.

Glad you liked it Jimmy!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky