Pet Peave...aside from not using direction signals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So pet peaves......... I have too many to list, none major just stupid little one that depending on my mood. ... well you know.

So here are a couple of my Chef interaction ones that get me a lot. Lets start for those that don't know, I am a Banquet/Catering Chef in a large convention center. We have over 250k sqft under air. For us to have a group or 2 of over 1k people is not out of the ordinary, even a group of 3k happen several times a year.

So with that info here we go...

Piss pour planning on the guest part who are attending the conference. If you know you have a food allergy or intolerance and are traveling. Make sure to let the meeting planer or staff know either before arriving or once you arrive at the conference. Waiting till you are seated and everyone is being served is not the time to drop on the staff that you have multiple allergies. This will almost 100% of time mean you will either have to wait a long time and eat your entree while the others are done with dessert or you will get a half assed meal. I don't like or want to give you subpar food, but me or my staff are not mind readers or psychics, if we were, we would not be doing what we do. Same for meeting planners, if someone tells you they have allergies, make sure the people you are working with knows.

Entitlement. ... I understand at home you may have certain foods every morning. We have a contract with the group or person hosting the event you are at. They have chosen the meal for the group. You have a continental today, no you can not have steak and eggs with mango juice that was freshly squeezed by ....... (insert your own fantasy here)..

Tons with my crew.... not counting, late, not reading, not following directions, not taking responsibility for their choices, etc......

Well chef, fully comprehend your thoughts. While not involved in that field I have attended large catered events. At the table frequently is your fully described person. I have sat back and just grinned know exactly what you have described is about to happen. To that end, the "guests" comments about how these affairs alway give them problems...." Bang zoom...to da moon, Alice " ....maybe dated but you Honeymooners fans will understand that.

As for the people I work with, you comments are just universal. I'd bet in any field you could make these same claims and be 100% correct.

Piss pour planning on the guest part who are attending the conference. If you know you have a food allergy or intolerance and are traveling. Make sure to let the meeting planer or staff know either before arriving or once you arrive at the conference. Waiting till you are seated and everyone is being served is not the time to drop on the staff that you have multiple allergies. This will almost 100% of time mean you will either have to wait a long time and eat your entree while the others are done with dessert or you will get a half assed meal. I don't like or want to give you subpar food, but me or my staff are not mind readers or psychics, if we were, we would not be doing what we do. Same for meeting planners, if someone tells you they have allergies, make sure the people you are working with knows.

Entitlement. ... I understand at home you may have certain foods every morning. We have a contract with the group or person hosting the event you are at. They have chosen the meal for the group. You have a continental today, no you can not have steak and eggs with mango juice that was freshly squeezed by ....... (insert your own fantasy here)..

Yup, I hate this as well! How about the "I have a life threatening allergy" bomb! If you have a life threatening allergy I want you to be my first or last table! If you come in in the middle of the rush you are going to be waiting for a long time!!! I am NOT your personal chef!

I once had a nut allergy, dairy allergy and a shellfish allergy all get ordered at the same time in the middle of the rush! I have nuts, dairy and shellfish everywhere on my menu! I almost lost it... Let's just say pans where flying! :biggrin:

Yup, I hate this as well! How about the "I have a life threatening allergy" bomb! If you have a life threatening allergy I want you to be my first or last table! If you come in in the middle of the rush you are going to be waiting for a long time!!! I am NOT your personal chef!

I once had a nut allergy, dairy allergy and a shellfish allergy all get ordered at the same time in the middle of the rush! I have nuts, dairy and shellfish everywhere on my menu! I almost lost it... Let's just say pans where flying! :biggrin:

My hert goes out tonthose that suffer from true allergies. Most are very understanding and take ownership of it. I have so many that are just beside themselves that were are willing to take care of them. We do a very good job of it. But there are the few who ruin it for the rest. If you have one of the food food allergy issues, do your part and contact someone where you are or want to go ahead of the time. I know personally I would rather plan something with you ahead of the time that is safe and you will enjoy. Then have to scramble and give you a half assed dish that brings the kitchen to a halt. If you have these allergies you know how hard it is to convert your home kitchen to be safe. It takes a lot of work and time, now you want me to do this on thw drop of a dime and still keep the pace for the rest of the dining room. ....... sorry I will stop. I feel your pain!

Fantastic pet peeves dear Chefy!
And well expressed!
CAN I ADD PEOPLE WHO SNORE TO MY LIST?
Or is that not smoke & wine related enough?

Cheers to the weekend all!
Today's smoked bluefish over brown rice spaghetti was terrific!
Many smiles, Leah

Thank you.
I am told I snore. I have never heard it.....

Well chef, fully comprehend your thoughts. While not involved in that field I have attended large catered events. At the table frequently is your fully described person. I have sat back and just grinned know exactly what you have described is about to happen. To that end, the "guests" comments about how these affairs alway give them problems...." Bang zoom...to da moon, Alice " ....maybe dated but you Honeymooners fans will understand that.

As for the people I work with, you comments are just universal. I'd bet in any field you could make these same claims and be 100% correct.

I figured the work place part is very generic.

I just love the ones who want you to hold ather coworker accountable, but if they do the same thing they have a billion excuses on why it was not their fault....

In New York in June eating at a great little Basque place recommended by Dis 1 a Gen Y female  near us had a complete tantrum
hopmad.gif
because the vegetable dish wasn't vegan.There was some anchovy in it. Demanded to speak to the chef ,is nasty to the young waitress,the whole 9 yards. 

Chef  points out he is a Basque cooking traditional food & he hasn't claimed anything on his menu is vegan in the first place. You can't win arguing with idiots,she is crapping on about her rights as a consumer that her veganness has been disrespected blah blah blah. 

He says if you had asked or actually read the menu in detail maybe, then gives up.

Vegan is not an allergy ,you aint going to bust out in lumps if you eat bit of anchovy, Princess.He didn't sub a great big lump of chargrilled beef for your sautéed greens or stick blood sausage in your broccoli
laugh1.gif
. The place is full,its serving  authentic food someone else will walk in & take your table, go elsewhere.

Vegans :102:

The ones that get me are the ones who claim to be vegan, but will eat fish, chicken, eggs or dairy........ :rules: are to be followed you nut job....

In New York in June eating at a great little Basque place recommended by Dis 1 a Gen Y female  near us had a complete tantrum :hopmad: because the vegetable dish wasn't vegan.There was some anchovy in it. Demanded to speak to the chef ,is nasty to the young waitress,the whole 9 yards. 
Chef  points out he is a Basque cooking traditional food & he hasn't claimed anything on his menu is vegan in the first place. You can't win arguing with idiots,she is crapping on about her rights as a consumer that her veganness has been disrespected blah blah blah. 
He says if you had asked or actually read the menu in detail maybe, then gives up.
Vegan is not an allergy ,you aint going to bust out in lumps if you eat bit of anchovy, Princess.He didn't sub a great big lump of chargrilled beef for your sautéed greens or stick blood sausage in your broccoli :laugh1: . The place is full,its serving  authentic food someone else will walk in & take your table, go elsewhere.

Bravo for him. No need to deal with it. Unfortunately i have too. One time i told a guest they could eat elsewhere, i thought i was going to get fired. The only thing to save me was they were using thier potty mouth and i did not.

Such funny stories and fantastic!

On Thursday I am a guest speaker to some college kids in Massachusetts and all about food. It should be interesting.

But yes, some crazy restaurant goers do exist and it is fascinating to watch.

I appreciate a Chef's day indeed.

Here's wishing all a happy Sunday!

Cheers, Leah

If you lose their attention when delving into ground camel and sautéed goat....snap them back to reality and remind them that Wendy's has a new bbq pulled pork sandwich

You know I'm kidding...but not about the new sandwich. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hilarious!! (Knuckle47).

Indeed, if they don't have a penchant for kangaroo, what is one to do? Smiles. I like your suggestion!!!

Happy new week! OH - I ate the best damn thing yesterday ever!!! Grilled emu - still nice and rare in the middle - and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make today wonderful!

Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky