Pet Peave...aside from not using direction signals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, you're sayin' I use girly shampoo? ( only kidding). My wife buys most of the soap, washes, shampoos. Whatever is in there at the time, I use. I saw the name and recognized it when the post appeared. At a craft show 10 yrs ago at Jay Peak we bought homemade soaps called " aging hippie " a strong patchouli scent. Still gets to me.

That is a very pretty picture. I'll bet that since those trees bear nuts, the wood might prove to be good for the smoker. Gonna check that out even though I'll never have any. I build acoustic guitars as another winter distraction and the shipping of koa from Hawaii I has gotten outrageously pricey so that comes to a close now. Can you imagine shipping a few kukui logs to the east coast?

Candle nuts used a lot in Indonesian & Malaysian dishes. Macadamia the Aussie nut.
Nice field looks like FNQ ,Far North Queensland . Same climate.
I can grow galangal,kaffir lime ,chilli ,lemon grass but the true tropical stuff a bit harder. Mango will grow in Sydney but you don't always get a fruit set, avocado will grow. Banana's not worth the trouble . We get all those diverse Asian basils & other herbs shipped from the north .The food here really lightens up in summer ,more seafood,lots of oysters, Asian salads with lots of lime ,fish sauce in the dressings,green paw paw(papaya) & green mango salads,Som Tam. Lot of char grilling ,fish market shifts up a gear,if thats possible.
People drink more white wine & beer. If thats capable of being accurately measured:biggrin:

We have both kukui (candlenut) and mac-nuts here. But they are very different trees... I'm kinda confused about your first line!

Yes climate is a huge factor in what you can grow! I live just above the 2000 ft. elevation line and I have similar problems trying to get mangoes. papayas, bananas to yield decent fruit. My FIL lives a mile away but 700 ft lower in elevation and he is in the perfect zone for everything!!! I can grow citrus and avos no problem.

The only place that ever had oysters here is a place called Pearl Harbor. Once the American Navy took it over it got quickly polluted and no more oysters in Hawaii. I'm named after my grandfather who died there in 1941.

So, you're sayin' I use girly shampoo? ( only kidding). My wife buys most of the soap, washes, shampoos. Whatever is in there at the time, I use. I saw the name and recognized it when the post appeared. At a craft show 10 yrs ago at Jay Peak we bought homemade soaps called " aging hippie " a strong patchouli scent. Still gets to me.

That is a very pretty picture. I'll bet that since those trees bear nuts, the wood might prove to be good for the smoker. Gonna check that out even though I'll never have any. I build acoustic guitars as another winter distraction and the shipping of koa from Hawaii I has gotten outrageously pricey so that comes to a close now. Can you imagine shipping a few kukui logs to the east coast?

According to my local ag extension agent kukui wood is to soft to be used as a smoke wood. I had to trim some off of my driveway a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't look soft to me!

Curly koa is an unbelievable beautiful wood! I have some koa on the far side of my property. is it curly? I'll have to let my grand kids tell you...

Yes, curly koa is magnificent., tell the kids to just let it grow. Really any tree is a prized possession but the grain on the koa is mind blowing. Look what has happened to Brazilian rosewood. They have literally stripped the forests

My concerns for smoking might be more of the smoke it gives off. You might blow through more of it because it is soft but if it has no ill effects like pines, then I'd would use it. After all the meats only need a short exposure to the smoke and at one point will not take on anymore smoke flavor.

I've discovered that my RF stick burner might just be better off using charcoal after the first 2 hours or so on ribs. The oak I use give a very strong smokey taste. Some prefer just a tad lighter flavor.

Different smokes for different folks. :yahoo:

Last edited:
Yes, curly koa is magnificent., tell the kids to just let it grow. Really any tree is a prized possession but the grain on the koa is mind blowing. Look what has happened to Brazilian rosewood. They have literally stripped the forests.

If you look at the top left of my photo you'll see a tree growing almost sideways that is a Brazilian rosewood. We call them jacarandas here. They have a very beautiful flower and every June they are covered in small purple flowers.

Well that's very cool. Is that a limb growing from a larger trunk or the tree is growing horizontally? These book matched wood sets used for guitar tops and sides are from huge trunks. The stumps have become sources due to bans on new cuts and imports. And $500-$1000 is more common than not for well figured sets. Or, maybe just toss em in the fire pit ! :icon_eek:

Well that's very cool. Is that a limb growing from a larger trunk or the tree is growing horizontally? These book matched wood sets used for guitar tops and sides are from huge trunks. The stumps have become sources due to bans on new cuts and imports. And $500-$1000 is more common than not for well figured sets. Or, maybe just toss em in the fire pit ! :icon_eek:

That's a tree growing sideways to try to get some sun! I don't have any big jacarandas on my property, I think there's six of them, but my FIL has some big ones on his. I'm not sure how big huge is but they are pretty big.

I've heard that it's not a great wood for smoking.

I do have some huge silver oaks on my property! It's also called silk oak or lattice wood. I don't know if that can be used in guitar making.

Hell of a lot of jacaranda trees here including a massive one in my backyard.
Macadamia is native to Australia. Introduced to Hawaii .
Currently in Darwin waiting to fly to remote fishing camp,humid . It's got all the tropical stuff ,plus couple of thousand US marines now stationed here.
Mango season just starting. Getting ready to cook chilli mud crab & fish curry .Dropped a chunk in the Fishing tackle store. This town rebuilt twice bombed over 50 times in WW2 then levelled by Cyclone Tracey 1984.
I will stick some photos up in a week.

Hell of a lot of jacaranda trees here including a massive one in my backyard.
Macadamia is native to Australia. Introduced to Hawaii .
Currently in Darwin waiting to fly to remote fishing camp,humid . It's got all the tropical stuff ,plus couple of thousand US marines now stationed here.
Mango season just starting. Getting ready to cook chilli mud crab & fish curry .Dropped a chunk in the Fishing tackle store. This town rebuilt twice bombed over 50 times in WW2 then levelled by Cyclone Tracey 1984.
I will stick some photos up in a week.

Yes there's a lot of stuff here that's from Austrailia: mac-nuts and sharwil avos come to mind. The hard wood on the downstairs is spotted gum eucalyptus (I know I don't have that spelled correctly but I aint gonna look that up! :biggrin: and I also have a bunch of furniture made from the Aussie version of our koa trees. My upstairs wood is mesquite from Texas!

You gonna make some pickled mangoes? Chutney?

I look forward to the pics from your fishing trip...

Be safe...

When I was born 54 years ago, my great-uncle owned a BBQ restaurant that is still in business today. Of course my mama had his sauce recipe. It is surprisingly simple, but tastes great on pork and chicken, as a topping for mashed potatoes, or a dip for potato chips. Growing up, I never had store-bought BBQ sauce until I joined the Navy and moved away. During my Navy years I attended lots of BBQ's where store-bought sauce was used. I ate it, but I never had any that even came close to Uncle Doug's simple sauce. When I read posts in the pork and chicken sections on this site and someone comments that they don't use finishing sauce, I just think, "You haven't tried Uncle Doug's."

Howdy ... I just joined the group, so not sure of the :rules:. Punish me as you wish if this request is improper, but I have to ask ...

Are you willing to share the recipe for Uncle Doug's sauce?

Thanks ...

Milt

Hi Milt and WELCOME to our wine cellar!!!! We have a ball!

No rules here but for everyone being kind! That's easy enough with this great group, and so more wine for all!!

Happy weekend and feel free to post anything you like - comments, start threads, join them, photos, videos, or whatever it be. And enjoy some fantastic food and wine this weekend of course too!!!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah (And yes, all the recipes and chutney and/or treats from Mick's fishing trip should be incredible, and I get excited to see and drink in them via the screen even)!!!

Sitting in a hotel back in Darwin ,fly out 230 home at 730.
Had a big old time .photos are on camera except a few location shots on I pad.
Funny for Aussies to see gum trees overseas ,heaps in Spain for example.
Spotted gum is great for furniture ,floors etc. major industry here recycling timber because now the tools have caught up with hardness of the wood. Back in the day 1 crew cutting 1 crew sharpening gums like iron bark,red gum,jarrah,kari,black butt. I love all of if.& I love the fact that a tree cut in the 1800s is being used now.
Now that we are heading into summer I will do a few things mangos cost plenty now.
Curry paste a definite, I used to do a hot peach chutney ,great with cold meats might bust it out again.

Baggage handling fishing camp style,! The croc at boat launch only 6 foot. We saw a few others between us including a 14 footer that was few K s offshore ,looking for new territory after being pushed off his patch by a bigger guy!

Moikel please don't take this the wrong way...I really think it's so cool ...but this is the kinda stuff I'd only seen in Crocodile Dundee!

There is no wrong way to take it. I put a bunch of photos up just now in Blowing smoke section.

This is as  wild as Australia gets,I love it but I am a bit city boy soft.5 days is it.

The "Top End" as its known was the last place to be settled because it was so far away & the climate so tough.I watch stuff here about Alaska & think that its the same sort of vibe.Its a very Aboriginal place with a lot of people living in communities in Arnhem land & the Gulf country.

If you wanted to get away from what ever & really go wild then its the place. It was the frontier & attracted a lot of free spirited people.Croc shooters then buffalo hunters,prospectors ,pearlers,fisherman,crabbers. then it became a military & government town because of its location. 

Darwin is easy to get through from an Asian destination.Lot of backpackers,lots of seasonal work around the tropical fruit industry.Big mining boom still going ,several military bases including 2000 US marine rotated through there each year.They seem to like it
biggrin.gif

Huge tourism industry at much higher comfort levels than our fishing camp.Its all about the "dry season" April to November.

Our ABC TV  network made a great doco series in 4 parts about Kakadu National Park in Eastern Arnhem Land .Its on youtube.

Its based on the 4 seasons,real people no actors no scripts.Just what real life is like up there. Its serious crocodile country so thats a big issue when there is so much tourism. It runs 4 x 50 minutes. I will try to send you the link.A couple of forum members have watched it & loved it.

Darwin was bombed 63 times by the Japanese in WW2, full scale raids trying to disable the port & take out the US navy ships .

Your US  dollar will get you about $1.12 here,stick it on your bucket list
biggrin.gif
 The guys at the big Tackle store told me the fishing just blew the minds of Americans who came out to do trials of gear.The Bomber lure company sent people over,Shimano,Loomis do a lot of field testing there.Where do you sign on for that job?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky