Pet Peave...aside from not using direction signals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knuckle47

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
New Jersey
What better place to take heat for commenting on something but here on a smoking forum.

There is probably even a better place to post this irritating platitude but I'll share it first with my buddies here in the Winos & Wood Chips group.

Nearly everyone here has gone out of their way to produce tasty offerings in their efforts in smoking, brining, and all kinds of time consuming preparations even building smokers and equipment. Then, add store bought BBQ sauces loaded with high fructose corn syrup. There are so many options that beg for simple creativity, easy online recipes and commercial sauces without this ingredient.

My experience in smoking is only a year old. I don't come from a long line of handed down ancestral recipes ( except the Italian winemaking ones) I read the label in the supermarket, and go find something else. In fact I now just make my own BBQ sauce in less than 30 minutes, usually Jeff's without the cayenne and 1/2 the black pepper

We are doing so much to monitor time, temperature, rubs, injections, and more....Try making your own. There's even organic , no high fructose corn syrup ketchups.

Try it.... You just might be amazed

Ok...flame away

Last edited:
I am with you on the store bought sauces. I am very wary of the preservatives  ,I get skin rashes not just the sugar content.

We don't have the volume or variety way down here partly because we are to small a market.I can't buy a lot of the stuff I see on the forum.

I make just about all my own so I know what I am giving people.

My curry paste over in the fish forum has about 5 tabs of palm sugar to 4kg of paste. It keeps for months in the frig without stabilisers or preservatives that go by numbers instead of names. While I am on my soap box
biggrin.gif
, 4 kg cost about $60 to make. $15 a kg a 250gm jar with some celebrity chefs name on it costs $7 . All you need is a mortar & pestle you can make  a curry paste from scratch in ten minutes. Cook the whole dinner in 20  but people buy a frozen meal & stick it in the monkey oven(micro wave) then complain about the cost of living then watch cooking shows on TV! 

Ha! That's funny Moikel. Then the impact of some of those things shows up 10,000 miles away as well. I'm no health nut. In fact friends of mine who are seem to have a cold every 10-12 days. Certainly, it's odd we spend $75 and more on a thermometer to watch the temperatures and not take a little time to mix up a key element in BBQ...the sauce.

Will need to look into your curry paste. Thanks

I am not a health nut either I just had to cut back on some stuff as I got older. 

My GF  says "Look out, Micks got his cranky pants on & he has pulled them right up high"
laugh1.gif
. I just find am astounded at poor food choices ,eat what you want but don't complain if it costs stupid. Not big on food fashion either.

I was in Rumania in 2008 & saw people ordering Corona beer at some dumb price & the local beer was called Ursus made right down the street for 100s of years & real good beer was half the price & obviously way fresher . People told me when they saw me drinking Ursus "its not very fashionable Corona is way cooler Ursus is for old guys" Yeah old smart guys that don't buy beer to be fashionable.

Good Morning Gentlemen and what an interesting thread!

As a "Sensitive Sally" to the nth degree, (hence me making the simplest fare and with just oil, sea salt, pepper, spices and such most of the time), I cannot buy or eat bottled dressings (most have wheat gluten, not to mention color dye, tons of added sugar and miscellaneous junk; but sauces and so much today is gunked up to high hell!

Moreover, and very apropos to this "group" even; is the fact that WINES here do not need to label what is inside the bottle and there is so much garbage added into many wines today, that despite "tasting" palatable even, my body's reaction to some wines - while drinking, and then afterward too, and even the day after too, can be just so awful.

That's why it's really delightful to learn of the unadulterated Aussie wines, as they have proven to serve me really well and that's quite rare and so enjoyable! (A good reason to seek out minimalistically arranged smoke sauces or spices too).

As for pet peeves; mine are:

People who are late.

People overcooking their meat.

People who leave their shopping cart in the parking lot like a slovenly and selfish schmuck. (Versus pushing it into the designated bin area or walking it back to the store).

People who won't eat, when getting together for food.

People who refer to or list a restaurant dish as "tartare" or "carpaccio" when it is actually seared some and not really raw.

People without any sense of humor.

People who show up or "swing by" unannounced.

People who are rude or demeaning to waitstaff.

Men who OVERTLY flirt with EVERY stewardess, waitress, and female nearby, and in gross ways, as if STARVING beyond belief for some ego affirmation.

Dog owners who tell you what, and how, you SHOULD be doing all things with your dog and how you're doing everything "wrong."

And then I have some pet peeves which are not "G" rated and so I'll refrain, since this is a "family site" as they say, and I don't want the admin to kick me off. (I realize that it's a smoking site too, but the Pet Peeve mention got me a little carried away).

NONETHELESS, Knuckle47, thanks for your thread!

And what's everyone smoking or grilling or eating and drinking today? (I'm drinking "19 Crimes" Aussie red, and grilling a camel burger)!

Happy all!

Cheers! - Leah

Last edited:
I eat most of my smoked goodies with poi! I NEVER put BBQ sauce on anything... If someone wants sauce I'll serve it on the side.

You can't get any more simplistic than taro root, water and Hawaiian sea salt!

Oh Welshrarebit, I am a fan of your Hawaiian sea salt indeed!

Black sea salt, red, and bamboo jade green!

And then your fish!

And then your coffee!

And then your kukui nut bodycreams and oils!

And then this and that and WOW do you live in a fabulous place! I have not been there, but will live vicariously via your posts!

Cheers! - Leah

When I was born 54 years ago, my great-uncle owned a BBQ restaurant that is still in business today. Of course my mama had his sauce recipe. It is surprisingly simple, but tastes great on pork and chicken, as a topping for mashed potatoes, or a dip for potato chips. Growing up, I never had store-bought BBQ sauce until I joined the Navy and moved away. During my Navy years I attended lots of BBQ's where store-bought sauce was used. I ate it, but I never had any that even came close to Uncle Doug's simple sauce. When I read posts in the pork and chicken sections on this site and someone comments that they don't use finishing sauce, I just think, "You haven't tried Uncle Doug's."

No sweet tooth here, I tend to avoid bbq sauces because of the high amounts of sugar.

Some sauces are also high in salt, but the "hot wings" sauces are far worse, especially the hottest ones - the intense salt makes me pucker.

I have on hand James Beard's Treasury of Outdoor Cooking from 1960. This is his "uncooked barbecue sauce":
This sauce is so simple to do. No particular equipment is needed for its concoction. You may shake it up in a glass jar, or a cocktail shaker, or, if you have one, an electric blender. Combine 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 cup chopped scallions, 2 teaspoons prepared mustard, 1 teaspoon of dry mustard, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup beefsteak sauce (Heinz or A-1), and 2 cups of any of the following: tomato puree or sauce, or strained canned tomatoes. Shake very well and add a small dash of Tabasco. If you prefer a not-so-sharp sauce, add a pinch of brown sugar.

Last edited:
GrillMonkey - what a story! Here is to Uncle Doug! I love that!

And BlueWhisper, as a woman who hasn't any sweet tooth either - but for bone dry wine that technically IS made with sugar and so I suppose that I thus 'drink my sugar' but NONETHELESS, I loved your input here and so here's to that!

This "Wine Group" is made up of the best people ever, and it's a kick, and a joy - yes I am chuffed - each and every day to be on here in this section, as we have a good time! (My only wish was that we would be sitting around a table, sharing in the cooking, drinking copious rounds of vino, and sharing hilarious life stories, but then hold onto your hat all, as I am a "never say never" kind of gal, and so it may happen)!

Meanwhile, It's Sunday!!!

And I grilled camel burgers, and drank my 19 Crimes Aussie red (because the grocery sells it and my skin likes it) and here is to that!

Cheers! - Leah

Well gang,

All really great comments, in fact the recipe you present BlueWhisper has been printed and ready to try next time. As for that kukui nut shampoo, we use it here routinely .

Your pet leaves Leah are ours also. I now just look up and smile because otherwise I'd explode. My dogs can be a little crazy when people come over and they all have suggestions but, they're my dogs and 99% of the time , it's their house too. Had friends over 20 years so F'ing late that it was insanity. Have not spoken in 10 yrs now, finally broke the camels back as they say. I love the one about dinner with people that won't eat. Frankly, all of the ones you list are true for us. Except ...for some reason, I don't get the one about flirting with every female.....:biggrin:

This is New Jersey where rude aggressive, FU me first attitudes are the majority. I've despised it since we moved from VT and I just can't wait to get out...

I've heard and read that in a lifetime, you will directly meet, know and deal with about 475 people that have an affect on your own life. But less than 50 will be positive experiences . How do you like them apples?

Wow.... Great plan, what time is dinner?

Last edited:
OK then here's the other bbq sauce recipe in the book:
California barbecue sauce

1 finely chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup vinegar

1 can tomato sauce

1 can tomato puree

1 slice lemon

1/4 teaspoon Tabasco

Use a skillet or saucepan over a medium heat. Combine the above ingredients in the order listed. When the mixture begins to boil, lower heat and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes.
I enjoy transcribing recipes from old books that are not available online. For the heck of it, I looked up "james beard's barbecue sauce" and I found something completely different.

http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/james-beard-barbecue-sauce/12bec0f0-f706-0130-769e-12313d1e3932

Oh Kuckle47, it's refreshing to hear that MY dogs are not the only ones who don't behave like little prep schooled militant soldiers! I am relieved! Smiles.

But yes, it is hilarious to see the temerity of what people SUGGEST, (I cannot imagine suggesting to anyone, about what they "should" do with their pet, kid, wife, life, or so it goes), in the name of living.

Nonetheless, with eating too, may everyone find their best things which work for them, and which "love them back" health wise!

Meanwhile, BlueWhisper, what fun that you shared these!!! Thank you!

Cheers to all! - Leah

Thanks also BlueWhisper. This is something that I will really enjoy. Yrs ago on some fad diet, we used to sauté all kinds of vegetables so that they were soft but not mushy, in fact, any way you like them is perfect. The last 5 minutes, drain off a bit of the liquids and add in your favorite BBQ sauce. Another great way to enjoy the taste of your favorite sauces and have a filling healthful meal.....cheap too!

Since were sharing, in the mid 1970's in Vermont. We had barely enough money to finish the end of the month. When we were running short, we'd eat kraft macaroni and cheese for 19 cents a box. When it was really bad, we'd buy a loaf of Wonder bread and pour on a packet of brown powdered gravy. Hot meal! We also had no potable water so we used to melt snow on the stove in the winter...

Was fun, we were 20 yrs old and froze as it was near -54 below zero back then. We beat out International Falls, MN and Gunnison, CO. that month. Geez, that coming close to 40 yrs ago

Last edited:
I haven't tried kukui nut shampoo but I do eat it five days a week! If you dry the kukui nut meat it's called inamona and its great on
our local dish called poke....

I have a ton of Kukui in my property, it's the state tree, and they are all loaded with nuts. I'm planning on smoking some soon!

In English it's called a candlenut tree.

Last edited:
That sounds terrific! I use Kukui Nut Body Cream (by "Alba") daily, and their brand's kukui nut body oil (layer them both) and adore it - although I'm told that I smell like "coffee ice cream," but then that's not such a bad thing, right?

It would be fun to try eating this ingredient when having the opportunity! That sounds really exciting! Thank you for sharing! I learn so much here!!! Cheers! - Leah

It would be fun to try eating this ingredient when having the opportunity! That sounds really exciting! Thank you for sharing! I learn so much here!!! Cheers! - Leah

:ahijack:

I'm glad no ones pet peave are thread hijackers! :biggrin:

If I get more than I can possible use I'll send you some smoked inamona... I always have some in my freezer and it costs a lot of money which is why I'm gonna try and make my own.

Here's a pic of my "soccer field," all the short bushy trees with the light green leaves are kukui. The medium sized ones in the background with the dark green leaves are guavas and the really tall trees behind them are ohia trees.

I haven't tried kukui nut shampoo but I do eat it five days a week! If you dry the kukui nut meat it's called inamona and its great on
our local dish called poke....

I have a ton of Kukui in my property, it's the state tree, and they are all loaded with nuts. I'm planning on smoking some soon!

In English it's called a candlenut tree.
Candle nuts used a lot in Indonesian & Malaysian dishes. Macadamia the Aussie nut.
Nice field looks like FNQ ,Far North Queensland . Same climate.
I can grow galangal,kaffir lime ,chilli ,lemon grass but the true tropical stuff a bit harder. Mango will grow in Sydney but you don't always get a fruit set, avocado will grow. Banana's not worth the trouble . We get all those diverse Asian basils & other herbs shipped from the north .The food here really lightens up in summer ,more seafood,lots of oysters, Asian salads with lots of lime ,fish sauce in the dressings,green paw paw(papaya) & green mango salads,Som Tam. Lot of char grilling ,fish market shifts up a gear,if thats possible.
People drink more white wine & beer. If thats capable of being accurately measured:biggrin:

It's wild that so many cultures know this nut, eat it, and so it goes! Very exciting!

That I am addicted to the scent may make me nutty, (don't feel the need to answer that), but how fun that my scent is edible even!

I never knew that until today and so "the things" I learn on this smoking forum, just continue to amaze me!!!

Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky