PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Finally took a look at this Al & I will be giving this rib method a try very soon.

My wife is a "Membrane On" person and I am not but I will do this to the letter.

They look fantastic!

Chopper
Thanks chopper!

When I foil the ribs, I usually put them meat side down & you can see the liquid that is built up under the membrane.

I have even done 2 racks with membrane on & membrane off. The membrane on was juicier.

Judy, my wife told me from now on always leave the membrane on and she is my worst critic.

Looking forward to hearing how yours turn out.

One last note, you need a thermapen or one like it with a thin probe that measures the temp right at the tip.

I've tried a Maverick & it doesn't work. The readings are inconsistent.

Good luck!

Al

Al, I'm gonna do your ribs this weekend.. I was wondering u said u do meat down in the foil. So u put the parkay and sugar on the membrane side?

Al, I'm gonna do your ribs this weekend.. I was wondering u said u do meat down in the foil. So u put the parkay and sugar on the membrane side?
No I either put it on the meat side then flip it over onto the foil, or I put the parkay & sugar on the foil & lay the ribs on it meat side down.

Al

I didn't notice Al that you had said you do them meat side down. Any specific reason? Wondering cause I actually did do muine meat side down, because I had a problem with the bones piercing through the foil a couple times. Is that why you do it too?

I didn't notice Al that you had said you do them meat side down. Any specific reason? Wondering cause I actually did do muine meat side down, because I had a problem with the bones piercing through the foil a couple times. Is that why you do it too?
No but that is a good point, I usually double foil them, so the foil is pretty strong. I put them meat side down so the meat is right in the juice. I think the ribs pick up more flavor & tenderize quicker.

Al

Well Al I tried your ribs... I did 4 racks Saturday... When all said and done, They were a BIG hit.. When the family left I had 5 ribs left... They are sending me texts telling me how much they loved them... Thank you Al for this rib recipe and all u do on this wonderful site. The final IT was 198.. JD

Those are really good looking ribs, Al.  I'm like Bear, I don't do ribs very often.  I don't want FOTB, I want some bite.  I'll give your method a try.

Great step-by-step.

points.gif

Gary

Last edited:
Well Al I tried your ribs... I did 4 racks Saturday... When all said and done, They were a BIG hit.. When the family left I had 5 ribs left... They are sending me texts telling me how much they loved them... Thank you Al for this rib recipe and all u do on this wonderful site. The final IT was 198.. JD
Hi JD,

I'm so happy that the ribs turned out well for you.

The best part is now you know you like your ribs at 198, so you can make them exactly the same over & over.

Great job!

Al

Those are really good looking ribs, Al.  I'm like Bear, I don't do ribs very often.  I don't want FOTB, I want some bite.  I'll give your method a try.

Great step-by-step.

points.gif

Gary
Thanks a lot Gary!

Let me know how it goes if you try it this way.

Thanks for the point too!

Al

Appreciate all the info on this post Al. I tried this today and the ribs came out perfectly. The only problem was there wasn't enough of them. Next time maybe I could remember to take some pics.

Appreciate all the info on this post Al. I tried this today and the ribs came out perfectly. The only problem was there wasn't enough of them. Next time maybe I could remember to take some pics.
Glad the ribs came out good for you.

Yes we all like photo's, maybe next time you will be able to take some good ones.

Al

Second or third time I tried the IT method. 

It's so weird... everything goes according plan. But an hour after I have wrapped then I check the IT and they went from 190F before wrapping to 180F after wrapping. I used some apple juice, not out of the fridge, at room temperature. This is the second time this is happening. I have no idea what is causing this....

Second or third time I tried the IT method. 

It's so weird... everything goes according plan. But an hour after I have wrapped then I check the IT and they went from 190F before wrapping to 180F after wrapping. I used some apple juice, not out of the fridge, at room temperature. This is the second time this is happening. I have no idea what is causing this....
I like to Nuke my foiling juices to at least the temp of the meat at that time. (Like about 150° to 180°)

Bear

Update from my side. Heating up the foiling juice really helped. After 3 hours of smoke and 1 hour wrapped, the racks were at 195F. However after unwrapping them, saucing them and putting them back on for 30min, the temp dropped again. I will make sure my sauce will be at lest room temp, maybe even heating them up a bit before saucing them. Trying to enjoy the process of learning and getting better at it :)

Update from my side. Heating up the foiling juice really helped. After 3 hours of smoke and 1 hour wrapped, the racks were at 195F. However after unwrapping them, saucing them and putting them back on for 30min, the temp dropped again. I will make sure my sauce will be at lest room temp, maybe even heating them up a bit before saucing them. Trying to enjoy the process of learning and getting better at it :)
Sounds to me like you got it just right. If the final IT you were looking for was 195, then you hit it in the foil & the ribs were done.

If the temp dropped after saucing them, that was a good thing.

Otherwise if they continued to cook & the IT went higher they would have been overdone.

How did they come out? Were they the way you wanted them? Or did you want them cooked longer?

I'm really glad to see that you haven't given up on this.

Al

Hi Al,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm on vacation.

I did try them again. Had a similar experience as before. First 3 hours went great. Then foiled them with warmed up apple juice. After an hour and 20 min they were around 200f. perfect!

This time I nuked the bbq sauce and put them back on. After 30 min they I pulled them. They were 145F and was pretty frustrated. They were not that good.

I wonder if I would have sauced them and put them on a hot grill if that would have made the difference. I don't have a gas grill at home so that's why I put them back on the smoker. I just feel like they dry out during the last stage. I'm even thinking of stopping the cooking process after the wrapped part, just sauce them and serve. When I unwrap them they look juicy, soft and delicious.

Morning Al,, just found this post,,,, I will be doing your trick today,,, but I already pulled the Membrane and let them sit overnight in the fridge??? I am not a rib guy,, but my wife loves them I will let you know how they come out 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky