peppers started. onions trimmed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
gave the onions a trim and put pepper seeds in pots to start. it's going to be a good year :)
PXL_20240218_215707906.MP.jpg

Nice
gave the onions a trim and put pepper seeds in pots to start. it's going to be a good year :)
What peppers?

I've been procrastinating. Really need to get my habaneros going.
Last year I told my self to get started before Valentine's Day. Missed that mark.
Started my Datil tonight. They have to be in a damp paper towel for a week or so and then transferred to seed starter. once they show signs of life.

Reactions: nlife
Amazing how many times lately, that I've done a search on a gardening subject and the auto fill in the search window finishes my search with marijuana.

I think there's a whole lot more people interested in growing pot than tomatoes and peppers.

I haven't decided if I want to grow peppers this year or not. We're still using dried jolokia peppers from the bumper crop I got back in 2016. I did pick up some fresh seed for Jolokia, Reaper and Moruga scorpions today.

Given my short 90 day growing season I have to decide what I'm going to do pretty quickly. I grow my peppers in hydro or in coco since its the only way I can get any sort of production from the super hots.

Reactions: dr k
Amazing how many times lately, that I've done a search on a gardening subject and the auto fill in the search window finishes my search with marijuana.

I think there's a whole lot more people interested in growing pot than tomatoes and peppers.

Tell me about it. When I first started dabbling in hydro and coco coir I did a lot of digging around on the internet. Imagine my surprise when I realized that Grass City wasn't a forum for lawn and lawn care enthusiasts! :emoji_astonished:

I haven't decided if I want to grow peppers this year or not. We're still using dried jolokia peppers from the bumper crop I got back in 2016. I did pick up some fresh seed for Jolokia, Reaper and Moruga scorpions today.

Given my short 90 day growing season I have to decide what I'm going to do pretty quickly. I grow my peppers in hydro or in coco since its the only way I can get any sort of production from the super hots.
Me to. I don't have people to give powder to. I'm loaded.

Reactions: nlife
What I've found about peppers here in central Oklahoma, is there's really no benefit to starting them early from seed. My plants don't really start producing until July. They like the heat of the summer.

Compared to tomatoes, where I've got a window for plants to set fruit and produce, and that's May and June. After the first week of July, they get blossom drop from the heat of the day.

So I try to get my tomatoes in the ground ASAP.

When did you start your onions? This is the first year for me trying onions from seeds. I started about a month ago and they are no where as big as yours.
i want to say i started them in early january ... i read somewhere that onions are more tolerant to longer starts... and less prone to getting root bound in trays, so i wanted to make sure that they had some good growth before moving them outside. this'll be my first try at onions - last year i pitched some long day seeds into a spare raised bed and the results were less than stellar.

babies r looking GREAT. onions need another trim. i'd put them outside but can't yet get down the hill with a truckload of dirt.

PXL_20240308_024258139.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
those look great mine are starting to get a little bigger but are leggy
if they're leggy, then probably they're not getting enough light. if you're using lights, try and lower the lights so that they're almost on top of them. i also put oscillating fans on my plants this year to encourage them to fatten up the stems.

Reactions: TNJAKE and dr k
if they're leggy, then probably they're not getting enough light. if you're using lights, try and lower the lights so that they're almost on top of them. i also put oscillating fans on my plants this year to encourage them to fatten up the stems.
Bingo

Thanks for the tips. I do have lights pretty close but i'll move them closer

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky