Pay Back Stramie W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
My sister in law in Utah did our taxes so I promised her some goodies. Pastramie is one, pulled pork is another, and a Buck Board Bacon will be another.

First the setting. This is the first night that I can sit outside. Temp shows 72'.

The Sandia Mountains.

I call this our light show, from the other night, too cold to sit outside though.

This from a previous score.

She didn't want peppery so I just used the spice pack that came with it.

I trimmed some fat off and seasoned it.

Smoking at 225' till 165' or so with Mesquite and Hickory.

Thanks for watching!

I am definitely interested in hearing the results, and your technique. I want to do one of these this summer, and need some tips.

thanks.

Sorry for the blury pics, have no idea what happened.

165' here and off the smoker.

Sliced a few for sammie.

Sourdough Caraway Rye with spicy mustard and horseradish sauce, yum.

It turned out good, no salt issue at all.

I'll be slicing tonight maybe I can get a better picture.

Sorry for the pics.

that happens to me sometimes, usually when my hands are shaking from hunger..
smile.gif

that looks like it turned out great, I am looking forward to the pics later.

How many hours did it take you to get the meat up to temp.?

Here it is sliced as thin as my Rival would. It would be better shaved but the slicer won't do it. As for the question how long, I would say about 5 hours or so. Just like a brisket times will vary.

At least this pic came out ok.

Guys, this is one of the easist and tastiest smokes you can do. Just buy a corned beef brisket, it is already cured and pumped, I now like the flats, use the spices in the bag and if you want add some black pepper, and what else, I like to keep mine simple, it is the meat you want to taste, not some exotic rub and enjoy on your favorite bread, mine is Krogers sour rye dough with Caraway seeds. Try pricing Real Pastrami in the deli, NOT some dry corned beef Round but a brisket and you will see a price of at least 11 dollars a pound here. You can do it for less than 3 if you watch the sales.

Oh, I also like Kroger's brand as it has never been over salty and never had to soak, but salt is a personal prefference so always do a fry pan test before smoking, but remember that some salt will leak out when smoking. I always use a drip pan below with some beef stock and a few thinly slices of onion for reheating purposes. Also when slicing always slice accross the grain, usually the short side.

I know some of you have indicated Pastrami was in your future for the first time. I have tried to cover some things and may have forgotten some. If anyone has questions or need help, you can PM me.

Good luck, and thanks for watching.

I have one cooling in the fridge. Thanks for the advice on how to slice. Yours looks really good. Great post.

smile.gif

Quick question fellas:

Have you ever had a brisket drop 10 degrees during the plateau. Making pastrami right now myself and my flat dropped 10 degrees the last 4 hours. The fire is going well at 215. Just now I saw it bump up a degree finally. Just wondering...

Yes there could be a drop into the plauteau. 215 is nice and low but you could bump it up a bit with out harm and save some time. I've had small corned beefs take over 10 hrs on low heat.

I've never had anything drop 10 degrees in 4 hours cooking over 200. How long has this been on? Are you watchin the 40 to over 140 in 4 hours rule? Sounds like something is malfunctioning to me.... could be wrong. I've had butts and briskets hit a plateau and drop a degree or two but never a 10 degree drop in 4 hours... that sounds extreme to me.

HA, HA, since I paid for it I can do anything I want with it. Now, take this buddy. Lol
icon_lol.gif

swine_flu.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky