PartyQ on the mini.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Hi everybody! Been a while since I've been here. Figured Id share my initial experience with the BBQ Guru PartyQ on the mini. I gotta say it's a match made in Heaven! I've used a mini for a few years now, and yes, it does very well on its own. Only times I've had trouble are when its cold out and I load it up with two pork butts. But with the partyq, the thing is so dead simple it's ridiculous. It seems to be a lot more frugal with charcoal too. I've only done one smoke so far, chicken thighs at 285°. It locked on to the target temp in 10-15 minutes and held it there for upwards of three hours. After 3 hours probably 85% of the initial load of charcoal remained. This was Kingsford blue bag, which would usually be probably half gone in that amount of time.
I think I like this little gadget!!
Doing a pork shoulder today so we'll see how it does on a long haul.

Hey MD good to see you are still with us,I have the BBQ Guru and I love it.

Richie

Same here, glad to see you posting again.

I have a Guru as well & they are just too good to be true.

Good luck with the shoulder.

Al

Update on the pork shoulder. I ran the mini at 325°, and the partyq held it like a champ! The low battery light came on about 6 hours in and about a half hour later it started to struggle to hold temp. The coals were consequently running low at this point as well, and even more consequently the meat was also ready to come off. So as far as I'm concerned, the partyq totally rocked it!

One thing, I won't be doing pork at that high a temperature again. Normally 300° is where I like to do pork butts, but I was running short on time and also wanted to put the partyq through its paces. Wasn't entirely happy with the outcome. This was a picnic shoulder and in my opinion, for my taste, I don't like it as well as a butt. I knew this going in but it was on a fantastic sale so I had a couple in the freezer. In addition, the higher heat made the bark pretty hard and burnt tasting in places, also not my favorite. Lastly, the meat wasn't as buttery tender and moist as it always seems to be at 300°. This is probably my fault as it probably could have used another hour or so in the smoker, but folks were hungry. It pulled, but not that easily.
So to sum up, the partyq was definitely worth the $150. It made an already great little smoker one that is as simple and rock solid as an oven. I'm so happy I got it!!

By the way, the day started off sunny and in the high 80's, then storms rolled in. Was probably 68° and breezy for most of the cook. In those conditions, 1 load of coal and 1 set of batteries doesn't seem too bad at all. Had the mini under a canopy to keep the rain off.

Thanks guys! I haven't an a lot of write ups on the partyq so figured I'd share. I think the 5cfm fan is perfect for the small volume of my cooker, but not sure if maybe a 22.5"WSM might need something with a little more oomph. I also suspect that the positive airflow might even out the temps between the top and bottom grates. This is a guess and I haven't tested it yet.

MD, I have found that the picnics make better hams, I too prefer the butt cut for pulled pork. One of the only meats I brine or cure and brine.

Reactions: Swannyj
Took the mini on a camping trip to the outer banks this past weekend. The weather was in the 80's and breezy. The mini and the partyq didn't let me down! Made ribs and chix wings. Did St. Louis spares and drumettes. Simple approach, rubbed with soul seasoning and brushed with sweet baby rays for the last hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmayna
I need to get one soon! The ribs look great by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drool.gif

That food looks good. Like the gizmo at the beginning of the thread. That looks cool.
Going thru all these threads and I'm getting hungry with all I'm seeing.

Will a mini fit in a VW camper? 
banana_smiley.gif
 Just another camping toy.

Md, thanks for sharing.  Points!

Last edited:
 Thanks for this post. I actually ordered a PartyQ today before I read this. My only worry is the space underneath as I have a very old original silver Smokey joe. I am pretty sure I am going to have to lose the ash tray...but we will see. Will arrive Thursday...just in time for a brisket point on Saturday!!! I will share some pics.

Glad to see so many of you guys still posting and using the Mini. I too haven't posted in a long while. But the Mini is now two years old and gets used nearly every weekend!I am addicted to using mine.

This looks like it will make it even better!

Keep smoking brothers...and sisters too if you are out there!

Thanks for this post. I actually ordered a PartyQ today before I read this. My only worry is the space underneath as I have a very old original silver Smokey joe. I am pretty sure I am going to have to lose the ash tray...but we will see. Will arrive Thursday...just in time for a brisket point on Saturday!!! I will share some pics.

Glad to see so many of you guys still posting and using the Mini. I too haven't posted in a long while. But the Mini is now two years old and gets used nearly every weekend!I am addicted to using mine.

This looks like it will make it even better!

Keep smoking brothers...and sisters too if you are out there!

I think what I'd do is drill a 1" hole in the side of the Smokey Joe to mount the guru adapter. That way you can just leave the bottom vent closed and not worry about the ash.

Thanks. I am hoping I won't have to. Did you get the weber adapter with your guru? or anyone reading this use it on a silver without drilling a hole? I will post my efforts when it arrives and see If I am off to the hardware store too for a drill bit. I must have no life...I am like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky