paint and body work withstand heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hugestapedius

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Have a fridge i wana make a smoker with...

Few of the dents i coudltnt pound out have mastic ureathane body top coat.
I was planing on painting it up and using automotive paint to get the color selection i wanted,(1950's cascade green) plus was originaly going to be a
garage/mancave cabinet. Now that i wana smoke it out should i worry about the body putty giving me problems etc. I would think auto paint should be good as firewalls etc. Are painted. I want temps up to 350. Should i invest in powdercoat or see what colors highheat engine paint i can get and try too spray that.

use Roxul insulation when putting it back together and the outside cabinet, paint putty etc, will be fine.

Def using roxul. I even have enough leftover from restoring the working original unit.
have a few questions about pieces id like to use. One being the tip of the door bolt. Hard bakelite plastic like. 1940's .. and the corner trim pieces. I plan on using so i dont have to make again. Will they be affected by the heat? I plan on doing all the trim in 14ga 304 stainless. The laser at work is busy right now so ill prob do them by hand. I have patched the inside with all stainless rivets and rtv silicone.
Also why do people use dual exhaust exits.
i plan on using a single 4" exit through the back and elbow up.. maybe a T to catch abkack rain.

What size gasket shud i use im going with the tadpole gasket from mcmaster carr as its almost direct fit for the original. Just wondering what size bulb the org is .500" hardish rubber
That when closed barely compresses. Should i go with 5-8".

Single out is all you need, I would go 3" at most for it. $" can take away space and also create more draft than you need in the small space. 

heres a pic of mine. 

I left the plastic trim in mine, Cant even tell the glowing red element is less than 1" away from the trim on the bottom. I have some aluminum sheet to make new strips out of, but so far no need for the extra work. 

Mines a GE as well. Go with the dual probe PNP controller from auberins, Working on my second build and there is no way ill not use it again. the perfect controller. 

Still debating my heating/smoking options... i like the idea of the pelletdaddy pellet hopper but i wana b able to smoke below 160 degrees. I suppose i could use mazensmoker but would have difficulty bring my bacon and sausage to temp after it was smoked. I wana use a finned strip heater will the auberpid still give me the control i need with this type of heater. Or is the brinkman replacment elment plenty?

Working on my next build now and using a 1550w finned strip heater. Seen several threads where guys used them with good success. Ill be using the Auberins dual probe plug n play controller with it, i take it out of the case it comes in and mount it in a new box and mount it on the side of my fridges. Expect it will work as good as the brinkman element with the controller. 

Id say go electric instead of the pellet pooper, Its more compact and easier to control. The brinkman element i used in my 1st build is not intrusive in the bottom of the unit and works really good. Im usisng the smoke daddy on my current build. Small, compact and uses and wood or charcoal for smoke. Makes t more versatile. to each their own. 

heres the link to my build. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/168304/50s-fridge-build-almost-complete-is-now-complete 

Last edited:
I have been told that when using a finned strip heater that it is highly recommended and with some required to use a blower to move air across the heater. Is this something that you guys do?

I was checking into it myself at one time but have not got that far.

This is what I was told by someone whom I have a lot of faith in and has built and/or modified several smokers.

I would try to integrate a blower into it. I think it helps to keep the Amazen Smoker lit, circulates the air in the cabinet to keep the vertical temperatures more even and I think if your using the finned strip heaters it will extend their life span with the air flow.

Some finned strip heaters absolutely require air flow because of the watt density. 

I have been told that when using a finned strip heater that it is highly recommended and with some required to use a blower to move air across the heater. Is this something that you guys do?

I was checking into it myself at one time but have not got that far.

This is what I was told by someone whom I have a lot of faith in and has built and/or modified several smokers.

I would try to integrate a blower into it. I think it helps to keep the Amazen Smoker lit, circulates the air in the cabinet to keep the vertical temperatures more even and I think if your using the finned strip heaters it will extend their life span with the air flow.

Some finned strip heaters absolutely require air flow because of the watt density. 
I called Omega, a strip heater manufacturer in Canada. and He helped me out. the one I chose he said will be fine. I tried putting a fan in my 1st build and I find it makes it hard to hit temp. If I let the smoker get to temp then turn it on ill see a drop of usually no less than 10f and it takes a really long time to get it back to my target temp. It will stay there once its there again, but it puts more strain on the brinkman.

As long as there is plenty of room around the element for natural convection air flow and the watt density is in the target range it should be fine, From what Omega told me at least. I bought from them, Acklands Grainger was no help in answering any questions and has limited supply.

Im having trouble finding a finned heater with enough wattage that is 24" long id like something as close to 1800watts and less then 18" prfered. Which from omega u go with?

How much did u pay if you dont mind me asking? Where are you located? Do these type of elements have minimum clearances that need tobe maintained?. How would one hook this too a plug n play auber.? Could i just turn some ss rods and mount it off back of cabinet (saw a build thread with similar method). Also what kind of wire would be used to withstand the heat and get the curewnt to the element? What are the benefits of this style vs. Say the brinkman replacment

How much did u pay if you dont mind me asking? Where are you located? Do these type of elements have minimum clearances that need tobe maintained?. How would one hook this too a plug n play auber.? Could i just turn some ss rods and mount it off back of cabinet (saw a build thread with similar method). Also what kind of wire would be used to withstand the heat and get the curewnt to the element? What are the benefits of this style vs. Say the brinkman replacment
Ya.... I do mind.

Kidding. 

I paid $140 + shipping and taxes. Came out to about $170 in total. I even got a free gift after checkout for doing a online customer service survey they do. I picked teh bendable Mag flashlight.

As lengthwise you just need to ensure it has 1/2" clearance  on each end and 1"-2" above and below. It needs enough room fro decent natural air flow.  The ss rods to use to mount will work just fine. I'm bolting mine in the bottom, kind of. there is a slope in th bottom of my fridge  which will allow me to mount it in the bottom but keep it from being in the way of cleaning or smoking any drippings.

I picked up a roll of oven wire from a local appliance parts store. i think its 16g, cloth braided wiring for use in ovens. Wasnt cheap for the whole roll so if you can get a hold of a scrap oven and rip out enough wire to do you build that would be best. 

In my case i cant use a brinkman style element due to the design of the bottom of the fridge so the finned strip is my only option. If it works well i may use it in future builds as well. 

what kind of temps and  sucess did you have with the brinkman? it might be all i need and if its tried tested ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky