Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks Jack

Yea around the 12 hour mark I think I was becoming delirious. I think I will try a simpler rub next time and I actually forgot to put the brown sugar on like the rub I used called for haha. As far as slicing goes I forgot to pay attention to which way the grain was running before I spiced it so Im not sure. I'll be sure to do some more reading about slicing before my next brisket.
Read some of Bearcarver's brisket posts. He has a trick to finding the grain after the thing get's all barked up. I think he makes a cut across the grain before smoking for later reference. I might have to see if I can find that again.

Just saw this post and though it appropriate I harass you just a little since you did not post the end results. 

I have been through all you are going through many years smoking a brisket, watching it 24/7, adjusting every 30 min to keep the temp just right with all day or overnight smokes while nursing my beers to help keep my sinuses cleared out from the hickory smoke.   

I finally gave up on trying to nurse my beers, was just not my style.  Ha Ha

I solved my problem of getting older and lazier with a trade off of not opening my great tasting brisket sandwich and looking for a "smoke" ring, (which in reality, it is not.)  This site has a lot of information on what causes that pink color ring.  Hint, smoke is not pink..

Saturday afternoon, I put a 9lb brisket into a Smoke-it #2 electric smoker with two hickory chunks. 

Wifey and I drove to the airport and flew around the neighborhood and the lake area, got home as the sun was going down.

About 8PM that evening Wifey and I headed out to have a few drinks (she has the drinks, I am a beer drinker) and listen to a blues band.  She got toasted after her max of 2 drinks she sips on and I brought her home to go to bed,  I stayed up and had a few (several) more beers and did some IFR flight practice on my computer trainer set up.  Went to bed, woke up about 9AM.  IT was 186, must have been a long stall.  Needed a Bloody Marry with breakfast omelets and the fried potatoes Wifey fixed for sure..

Couple hours later the beeper went off, 200' IT, time to foil and put in the cooler.

In the past, If I would stay on top of my charcoaler that I put major wood chunks in with that I watched 24/7, most likely somewhe would have gone past my temp objective at some time in my smoke.  Yes, I would have a pretty pink ring.  No ring now, just good brisket. 

Now I "set it and forget it" until the beeper goes off. (had that "forget it" happen with a PB recently)  Sitting here watching a football game one day and Wifey and I immediately looked at each other with a "What the hell is that" beeper going off when we both forgot a few seconds I had put a PB on the day before.

Yep, fire cooked brisket (or anything else) is better every time it is smoked.  I commend all that cook that way.  I enjoyed doing that my self many years. How much better? 2% 4% 20% ---- depends on your tastebuds vs time and $.  I cooked my last ribs on the propane grill, just having fun now.

Bottom line, If you are not having fun, do something different.  Sometimes I can have more fun doing something else rather than watching a smoker 20 hours, sometimes not, in either case I can turn out an edible brisket or PB Charcoal/wood, electric, or propane burner.  Use what you got, and eat it.  Most of us always strive to make it better next time.  The rest of them go to the local bbq joint and survive..

Reactions: mromj
I agree with the fun part, I don't mind tending my fire and checking it ever so often, I don't sit and watch it every minute  I have an RF and you do have to keep an aye on it. But I've smoked enough on it I just know when it;s about time to add wood or check it. 

As for as meat always plan for a longer smoke, if it finishes early that's a bonus 

Gary

you know folks, I have been smoking briskets for many years and we teach BBQ 101 classes in Elizabethtown, KY. WE have Never smoked a brisket no longer than 4-5 hours and always have the same results cooking hot and fast as you get cooking low and slow.

Fat cap down so as to protect that $40 piece of beef in case you run it out of moisture, which I use Makers Mark bourbon and Simply Apple apple juice and maybe a cup of beer. Smoke at 350 degrees, Cover with foil when it reaches 150 degrees IT and add some moisture and pull off when the IT reaches 205. tender and a nice smoke ring. I would be too drunk to eat it if I had to wait 12 hours. As long as I am cooking on my Lang 48 deluxe at 350, I throw on a nice 4-5 lb Meatloaf and let her cook. SMOKE ON!!!!!

That's a Purdy Brisket   Looks Tasty

Gary

Thanks for all the info guys. Ive read every post in here I assure you.

I agree with it should be fun and it was, just stressed more bc it was my 1st on my WSM + it was $50 worth of beef. I used to cook briskets on my charcoal grill with coals on each side and I paid like $20 for a 15 lber. It was quite a deal to feed a crowd back then.

Appreciate all the input and advice from yalls experience. Probably gonna take a break from brisket for a bit but I'll give em another try closer to summer. Gonna put a couple chickens on today and then probably make my 1st cheese attempt later this week.

God I love this site!!! Nothing better than people helping people to do what we love best!!! BBQ !!! I wish the real world was as helping as the great people of this forum are! God bless everyone of you!!

Reactions: mromj
This may be off subject...But... Fatties. Anyone ever use goetta instead of sausage? Just askin.

I was thinking goetta might be a little fatty. But...it is a fatty.[emoji]128522[/emoji]

I'm dying to see the finished product!

Disco
Sliced pic added! Alright since enough of you guys hassled me about not showing the final product I'll post it. Was embarrassed about my slicing abilities so I only took one shot unfortunately. Thanks for all the comments, input and watchin.

Last edited:

Sliced pic added! Alright since enough of you guys hassled me about not showing the final product I'll post it. Was embarrassed about my slicing abilities so I only took one shot unfortunately. Thanks for all the comments, input and watchin.

Sometimes super tender meat is hard to slice ...I find that an electric knife works better than my manual skills now and then.  I also like the idea of examining the grain direction before the meat goes into the smoker and putting a shallow slice mark on top of the meat to indicate the right direction for an across-the-grain slice after cooking.

Brian

PS: Your brisket looks great to me and all I can see is a lot of tender goodness and yum factor!  

Reactions: romy6
If you want a shorter smoke try a tri tip. 2 or 3 hours and tastes just as good imho. Much cheaper too so lower stress level. Great looking brisket!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky