Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

It is looking good. I bet the neighbors are starting to look around.

Keep the lid closed.

Happy smoken.

David
Thanks David. My post feels official now with your 'happy smoken' stamp...saw it in every thread I lurked in for 2+ weeks. Managed to open the lid only once in ~7 hrs so I'm planning on keeping it closed until I'm checking for tenderness. I'll be sure to get finished pics on the smoker and hopefully sliced ones too. IT is 169* after 8 hrs with the smoker just a hair under 250*

See your pics, lookin good !
icon14.gif
Thanks Waterinhole.

Hey quick question one of you guys can probably answer quickly. I dont see much smoke coming out (Ive checked pretty closely, I had a steady stream of TBS through the night) but my temp seems to be holding around 240*. Ive walked outside a couple times but have been able to convince myself not to do anything and just look. Its been a long night and any input would be appreciated.

See your pics, lookin good ! Thumbs Up

Thanks Waterinhole.

Hey quick question one of you guys can probably answer quickly. I dont see much smoke coming out (Ive checked pretty closely, I had a steady stream of TBS through the night) but my temp seems to be holding around 240*. Ive walked outside a couple times but have been able to convince myself not to do anything and just look. Its been a long night and any input would be appreciated.

If your temp is holding steady, sounds like your charcoal is ok but maybe the wood chunks have burned up. Ya could add a chunk or two if ya want... What's your brisky IT ?

Brisky is 174*

I just went out and gave the legs a few love kicks..pretty sure I read about that somewhere on here to knock some ash off and now my smoker temp is droppin pretty quick. Went from 243 to 234 (although after typing this its held at 234) in about 3 or 4 min. Starting to get the itch that something needs to be done..

I believe I may be over thinking and stressing myself out for no reason. Believe I'll go toss a few chunks in through the door.

Thanks for the help again.

Alright so I opened the door and there seems to be quite a bit of ash buildup so I stirred it a bit. Charcoal is still lit and I tossed about 4 hickory chunks on and its back to smokin. Gonna just trust that its lit until I have a significant drop in smoker temp from here on out.

Smoker temp jumped: 261*

IT: 174*

9 hrs into the smoke

Thanks again

Brisky is 174*

I just went out and gave the legs a few love kicks..pretty sure I read about that somewhere on here to knock some ash off and now my smoker temp is droppin pretty quick. Went from 243 to 234 (although after typing this its held at 234) in about 3 or 4 min. Starting to get the itch that something needs to be done..

I believe I may be over thinking and stressing myself out for no reason. Believe I'll go toss a few chunks in through the door.

Thanks for the help again.
You are. Hahaha.... You can open the door and throw a couple chunks in there if your worried about smoke but the best smoke is barely visible, especially in the morning light. You can smell it but barely see it.  I am going to say everything sounds just perfect to me so far.

You are. Hahaha.... You can open the door and throw a couple chunks in there if your worried about smoke but the best smoke is barely visible, especially in the morning light. You can smell it but barely see it.  I am going to say everything sounds just perfect to me so far.
Haha glad somebody is enjoying my misery. I'm done tinkering and am going to make some coffee.

You know things are going good when what you think is a mistake is actually beneficial. Sugar is not so good on beef so your leaving it out was a good thing. A good piece of beef like that has it's own flavor. Most of us use just salt pepper onion powder, garlic powder for beef or SPOG. You might have to reload charcoal at some point in your near future, but I wouldn't worry about it until it starts steadily dropping and hits under 200 or lower.

Awesome. Appreciate the reassurance.

That sounds like a plan for the next rub, simpler makes sense. I will be watching the temperature closely and youre probably right about having to add charcoal. I loaded that ring as much as I could but Ive had to deal with a lot of wind + 30* weather before the sun came out. Im gonna switch back to enjoying this process instead of worrying about it.

Updated Q-view page 2! So I'm beginning to test for doneness and maaaaan does this thing smell good. I have the probe temp in the middle of the flat and its reading 189*. Pretty much anywhere in the flat the toothpick goes in with no resistance. What should I expect up towards the point as far as resistance when its done? There is some resistance there. My gut is telling me to pull this thing but I will listen to experience. Too early to pull it? Been smokin for a ltl over 12 hrs at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ

It should all probe tender. Some will pull it now and separate the point and chunk the point up and put back in for burnt ends.

Happy smoken.

David
I would have posted this earlier but Im very tired and people came over to eat the brisket. Overall it was a success as far as first briskets go, room for improvement but Im pretty happy with it. Next thing I need to learn is how to slice the damn thing bc I didnt know wtf I was doing (seriously Im not gonna post the sliced pics haha). Thanks for all the input fellas.

It should all probe tender. Some will pull it now and separate the point and chunk the point up and put back in for burnt ends.
Happy smoken.
David

I would have posted this earlier but Im very tired and people came over to eat the brisket. Overall it was a success as far as first briskets go, room for improvement but Im pretty happy with it. Next thing I need to learn is how to slice the damn thing bc I didnt know wtf I was doing (seriously Im not gonna post the sliced pics haha). Thanks for all the input fellas.

Looks great !

It looks GREAT! The only way you can cut it up wrong is if you can't get it in your mouth 
biggrin.gif

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky