Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pcmyers23

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Texas
Getting ready to toss this ~11# choice packer brisket from costco. $4.20/lb at ~$50. Got the smallet one I could, most were 14+.

Would like to smoke it at 225-240 on my 22.5" WSM. Have done quite a few chickens so far and feel like I cant do anything wrong with this thing. Preheating the smoker now but shes at 250 and slowly climbing so we'll see. Have included a few pics of my setup that I thought yall would like. Looking for some people to hang with while this thing sits for 12 hours.

Where do I want to put the probe in on the brisket? Assuming the flat but i dn. Have the maverick 733, if you dont have it get it. Pics below. I started to trim this thing but then i realized i dont know wtf Im doing so I stopped.

Nice, love some good ole brisky ! I try to probe bout right in the middle, pick a good happy medium spot of the thickness ! Just my way ! However, brisket is generally better done not just with IT but tenderness... If ya take a toothpick & it slides into the brisky nice and smooth with little resistance, then it's done ! Generally between IT of 195-205* ! Also, I never trim much fat at all & smoke fat cap up so the fat cap can baste the brisket so to speak ! Also when it's done, don't forget the rest.... An important step in making that brisky nice, tender & juicy !

Lookin forward to your smoke !

:beercheer:

Sweet, thanks for the reply. Have plenty of toothpicks on hand for stabbin, foil, a towel and cooler ready for restin. Think Im gonna keep it fat side down bc its what I read mostly about but I will keep fat side up in consideration for the future.

Still dont have the brisky on yet bc of wind issues. Have setup a few things to help block but the temp is still at 280. Q-view is comin though!

To each their own & I respect your decision but if the fat cap is down, when the fat renders it drips down.... Either way the fat is gonna render, would ya rather it render into & around the brisky or just drip down & not get the meat basted ! Your call, just saying ! :biggrin:

Here's a pic of a past brisky I done with fat cap up, for what it's worth ! It was moist & juicy !

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffro10
Alright Im convinced and am about to toss it on fat side UP. Hope my smoke ring ends up that nice!

Q-view is coming timberjet.

Alright Im convinced and am about to toss it on fat side UP. Hope my smoke ring ends up that nice!

yahoo.gif
 yes I'm bored. Living my smoking life vicariously  through you and your brisket this evening.

Last edited:

Your brisky will be great,can't wait to see it ! Dang it, now I wanna smoke a brisky ! :biggrin:

Alright I jotted down a few notes about the smoke so I can reference later. The wind is more annoying tonight than I expected so I setup a blanket on a wooden gate thing. Not sure if its helping but cant hurt I suppose. Closed off 2 vents completely that are getting hit by wind and have the other 1 barely cracked.

Glad I listened to your experience Timber bc the temp is dropping just like you said. @446ish now. Bonus pic of chickens from a previous smoke. You can see my upgraded door from cajunbandit in the last pic, quite an upgrade from the aluminum foil door Weber includes.

Lol yes thankfully it was just a typo and not the actual temp. Was 246 but its dropped to 225 now...may have to go crack a vent just a smidge in a bit. Thanks for the advice guys and when I look at the brisky I'll be sure to snap pics so yall can see too.

My juicy chickens have taught me to be patient and not open the lid unless I think they could be done. Will probably put the other probe from my Maverick in the brisky in 4-5 hrs so I'll get some pics then. I wont leave yall hanging. Again, appreciate the advice.

Small update (if anybody is still watching)

The wind seems to have calmed down, which is nice, and the WSM has decided to settle in at 228 which makes me quite happy. Comin up on 2 hours thats its been on and Ive switched from coffee to beer to keep me from being a helicopter parent with the smoker.

I do enjoy a few beers with my smokes!!! coffee is good to when I start an early morning till evening smoke. Don't need to say it but falling asleep (passing out) while watching the cook sucks!!!

-Don't ask why, lol

;)

Yea I'm just tryin to nurse the beers so I dont end up like that haha. I used to do briskets on a grill where I had to add charcoal every hour or so...this WSM makes things waaaay simpler. Sittin at 232*

I'm still watching! Sounds like it's going well... Don't drink too many beers! ;)
Ahh I figured out how to reply like the cool kids. Glad to have you Welsh...trying to take the beers low (in numbers) and slow just like the brisket. Thanks for the reply the other day in my thread asking about the AMNPS in the WSM. I ended up ordering that package (if you remember) and it should be here tomorrow! Excited to try smoking cheese.

Another small update in case anyone is bored and watching. Still havent opened the lid, holdin pretty steady 225-235. The wind has almost completely died but its pretty damn cold out there. Thought the fire had gone out for a second bc the TBS was so thin I couldnt see unless I got the right angle. Been on for 4 hrs now..

New pics with Q-view added! Finally took a peek at the 6.5 hour mark and got the other probe in the middle. Smoker is sittin at 243 after opening and the IT is 162*. Those last 30* must be difficult to gain, hoping I didnt make a mistake by opening the lid when it was in the middle of the stall? Realized a couple hours ago that I forgot to add the brown sugar on the rub so I'm hoping that wasnt a fatal mistake. Anyway, here are the pics bc I know youre tired of reading words. Pics taken after I liberally spritzed with apple cider.

Last edited:
Reactions: savismoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky