Oven Directions For Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

calculus

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Hi, I have smoked 9-10 pound pork shoulder before. I would smoke them until they hit 140 then foil them untill 200 and pull. My smoker is apart and I have a 9 pounder that I need to cook in the oven. Does anyone have advice for doing this from start to finish? I already have a rub. I just wonder about foiling/not foiling and temps. I went to a recipe site and they have the shoulder cooking in the oven uncovered on a broiler pan at 300 and pulling it out at 170. Isn't that too low? With no foil, will it dry out? I am guessing that if I put it on the broiler pan at 250 it would be similiar to the smoker. Thanks if you can help.

Same temps apply, altho I'd go to maybe 170° before foiling. Helps bark formation.

I HATE to say this... Smoking Gods forgive me... maybe a dash of the cursed L.S.?

Put in a pan, in the oven at 225-250 depending on how fast you want to get done and let it go. It will be fine, trust me. It makes the house smell incredible as well. That's a problem sometimes
biggrin.gif

I have done briskets the same way in the dead of winter when it's too cold or windy to use the smoke. Here's an example:

Just do what you would normally do, (mustard, rub, finishing temps, etc.) and put it in the oven. I have never foiled any of the shoulders or brisket I have put in the oven. All you really need is a good thermometer.

If you can't use a smoker, seriously, after 10-12 hours, it's awesome.

when is it too coldy or windy...........i use a wind break and have smoked in below zero weather ALL the time..............

OVEN OVEN OVEN ! ! ! ! !

lolol....couldn't pass it up......almost like TIME!...........we just had a discussion on using the oven..........i have used it to finish up briskets and butts and turkeys...........when TIME was a issue.........hehehe........i have a freind in orlando that does ALL his butts in the oven, and they turn out well enuff..........NO shame in using a oven..............let me see if i can find his foodnetwork link on how to do it............

That's great but I'm just answering a question in regards to the oven. I live where I live.

When I was in the Marine Corps, we had a saying, "Never stand up when you can sit down, never sit down when you can lay down, never just lay down when you can sleep." Point was, choose your battles carefully and make things as efficent as possible. There's always a shiatstorm around a corner, you just don't always know when.

Since you've never tried it, maybe you should and then let us know how much different you think it is. I think you'll be surprised.

didn't mean to upset you able..........i HAVE done em in the oven..........i have also done em, like i said, in below zero weather, with winds swirling you wouln'dt believe...........i just threw a heavy blanket over it, to help with retanage of heat.............don't know what battle you talking about tho.............i am a lover not a fighter..................
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

WD,

I'm just saying the guy was looking for a solution for using the oven. I tried to answer it. I guess we all like to think the only way to go is the smoker and nothing else. I just don't think that's the case all the time.

As for the battle that isn't, my point was I'm not going to tend a smoker in my back yard when it's 10 degrees and blowing when I can be playing with my kids, watching football, etc. I'll put it in the oven and save the aggravation. I guess I've figured out there's a time to be tough and a time to be smart. Just my opinion.

I'm not upset, just trying to keep this on topic as far as answering the guys question. Sorry if you got upset.

Thanks for your answers. One last question, If I dare, would you put it on the broiler pan or like the picture of the brisket above sitting in the juice?

I'd let it drip into a pan up until foil. It's mainly fat cooking off till then. After the 160-ish mark, you start rending out the gelatin. You wanna save that.

Thank you! That's what I'll do. 250degrees on the broiler pan until about 165 the I will foil it in a glass pan to catch what escapes the foil. I will post back to give the results.

I have done it with Turkey size Reynolds Oven Bags. Set oven for 180 for 8 hours, will not get the bark, but great for pulling. The bag basically steams your butt or shoulder. Comes out as good as smoked, BUT with no smoke flavor.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

Someday, you will pay for that remark.......
wink.gif

Alot of oven talk on this forum all of a sudden, moderators must be slacking off....
cool.gif

I hate to fan the flames, or lack there of but if you go with the oven, when you pull her and dress her with vinegar(if you do) add some smoked paprika to the vinegar. Itll taste leke lays bbq chips, but hey what else could you ask for?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky