Outback full of Ash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
My ex-boss has a neighbor with a small sawmill and all he makes is stakes for construction sites, mostly Ash.
He gives away the "off-cuts" to anyone who wants them. Perfect 2"x2" sticks of varying lengths. I may be unusual in that I actually like smoking with Ash so when I got a call saying there was a bunch to get I jumped on it.
I should have enough to last a bit.... wood.jpg

Nice score. Can you get scraps and discards, too?
I loved using ash in the stick burner. Good clean heat. I would add a cob of other wood to amp the flavor.

Nice score. Can you get scraps and discards, too?
I loved using ash in the stick burner. Good clean heat. I would add a cob of other wood to amp the flavor.
Yeah, in the stick burner I mainly use it to get started and then move to something else. It lights fast and clean but burns up fast.....
I like it with chicken, though.
What I've seen of his scraps is mostly bark.

My ash was free off my trees so it included bark.
I used it for heat to start with added flavor wood.
After the smoke period was done I would finish if off with just the ash for heat. When larger than 2x2's, it doesn't burn up as fast.
Cannot top free! Happy Smoking!

Reactions: SmokyMose
Ironically I was just logging on to ask my "silly" question on whether anyone preheated with junk wood like ash to save a few bucks. I never knew that you can even use it all the way through. Doing a pork butt today and I may throw an occasional ash split in with the apple and cherry.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky