One more "Mail Box Mod" for the AMNPS and the MES30 ...NEW PICTURES FOR ATTACHING ELBOW TO MAILBOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I notice you have not covered over and of the holes in the mailbox door, and I see some pics where those holes are covered. Do you find that not covering those holes doesn't lead to too much air? I can only assume others closed off those holes to limit the air. Would more air cause the pellets to burn quicker?

Thanks Bill

Bill morning..... Depends where the holes are.... Holes near the bottom increase air to the pellets... near the top, air is added to the smoker.... IMO, for properly tasting smoked food, the smoker needs good air flow to prevent acrid tasting smoke... Like the old buildings old timers smoked their food in.... Excellent picture of cold smoking meats....

Reactions: brycraft
Does anyone have pics of this mod in a second gen mes40?

Im attempting this but was wondering about having a cover over the heat element since the guts were removed from chip tray etc...

Thanks

Here's photos of mine. I use both the 18" and 12" AMNTS. The only thing I'd change is to drill a smaller hole in the door for the AMNTS to sit in. Darn beer anyways! I have to put some foil to seal the gap. The tube is about 1/2"-3/4" above the floor if the box and it is fine. The exit in the back is 3", with 3" aluminum dryer vent. The mailbox is 100% steel.

The tube sticks out when in use. Works great.

I like this idea dirtsailor2003

Thanks for the pics guys.

You seem to have a slightly different model then me, my exhaust vent is out the left side of unit, not on top and my controls are up front.

But as far as the heating element, I have the one plate still inside that fits over the element and has a square hole in it, I just wasn't sure if that would be enough to protect element from grease droppings, that's why I wanted to see more setups with and without the chip loader guts, etc....

Appreciate your help.

Thanks for the pics guys.

You seem to have a slightly different model then me, my exhaust vent is out the left side of unit, not on top and my controls are up front.

But as far as the heating element, I have the one plate still inside that fits over the element and has a square hole in it, I just wasn't sure if that would be enough to protect element from grease droppings, that's why I wanted to see more setups with and without the chip loader guts, etc....

Appreciate your help.

We are here if you need help....

Dave

MAN!! I love this place. I just stumbled onto the mailbox mods. I've got the Master Forge double door smoker from Lowes. Done the standard mods to it with the rope gasket and such. And I've had the original AMNS dust smoker for years. Love it. But I have issues with it burning up in the smoker. So I ordered the pellet tray and am going to do the mailbox mod. My question is this: I'd really like to not have to cut any holes in the actual smoker, mainly for convenience sake. I'm thinking I could just pop the damper off one of the side vents at the bottom and go into that. Only issue is, will this restrict air flow too much, and/or will it feed the TBS right into the burner in the smoker thereby diminishing my TBS? I need to look at my smoker and do some brainstorming but I'm at work now so I'm just tossing this out there to see if anyone else has done it this way. I see most of y'all are going in through the wood tray opening on the MES. Possible to go in through the vent on the side?? Otherwise I've got to figure out something else and cut into the smoker wall, which I really don't want to have to hassle with. Thanks in advance! And many thanks to Todd for getting my AMNPS out to me quickly!

READY......... close your eyes and cut the hole......

That smoker is gas right.... you need the smoke generator above the flame, or have the smoke enter the smoker above the flame so the smoke isn't consumed by the flame... You will probably need to drill additional exhaust holes, in the top portion of the side walls, for better air flow also....

READY......... close your eyes and cut the hole......

That smoker is gas right.... you need the smoke generator above the flame, or have the smoke enter the smoker above the flame so the smoke isn't consumed by the flame... You will probably need to drill additional exhaust holes, in the top portion of the side walls, for better air flow also....
Thanks for the heads up, Dave. So you're saying I should not go in through one of the two air intakes? I also need to figure out what to cut it with. My 3" hole saw bit sucks. Got a 3.5 or a 4 that is much better. But my 3" in a set I have blows.

You could use a 2" or so hole saw.... use a piece of downspout to transport the smoke.... or auto exhaust pipe...

You could use a 2" or so hole saw.... use a piece of downspout to transport the smoke.... or auto exhaust pipe...
Welp, this mod will have to wait. Went to take my burner assembly off last night so I could replace a severed gas line. Realized the bottom is rusted out. Like, I pushed on it and punched a big ass hole through it. Time for a new smoker.

I was looking for a better way to cold smoke with my AMNPSmoker tray, and went looking for ideas on an external smoker box. that's when I found this thread.

this thread was the process - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/167787/smoker-box-for-the-oldsmokey

but this is basically what I put together

a simple foil pan clamshell for the AMNPSmoker tray

using flange pipes from a drain a and carburetor pre-heater hose

it really works well

Well, I just had to try the mailbox mod for my MES 30 and the AMNPS. So here is what I came up with. I've had 2hrs of beautiful TBS and I am ecstatic
banana_smiley.gif
 Has worked great so far..see how it works going around the corner when the first row is done.

I used the usual. 3" elbows, duct, pipe, 3 to 4 adaptor and a 4" elbow

Got to thank SMF and all the great folks and their great ideas. This mailbox mod so far is working great. It's working so good, I got a  dozen wings ready and threw them in the 30. Just basted them with butter and chipotle seasoning, gonna let them smoke for a couple of hrs or so. Following a couple of different recipes from here of course. See if I can do a Qview later....Thanks again...MOS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky