One more "Mail Box Mod" for the AMNPS and the MES30 ...NEW PICTURES FOR ATTACHING ELBOW TO MAILBOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
First of all, thank you to Pops6927 for his brilliant idea and doing the "pre engineering" for the rest of us that can't leave well enough alone and strive to improve on many of the quirks and pitfalls of making the perfect smoked product we have all come to love.....  There have been many smoke generator mods over the years and this particular mod caught my attention as being easy, doable, inexpensive and simply perfect......  below are some pics of a few, that as of late have caught my eye....  I apologize for not posting them all here.... Please add your mod to this thread for all to see to continue inspiration for all our members...

Since a snowplow smashed my mailbox by throwing chunks of ice, and this one was a temporary fix until I could get one of those "Big Rural" boxes permanently, and it was in the barn, now I have another project...

Adjusted the shelving in my "smoker corner" to fit the box.... Using a hole saw and tin snips cut a 3" hole in the back....  Attached the 3" 90 deg. elbow to the box and fitted the rest of the pieces...  Got the pellets going for a test and "I am one happy camper".... this mod is AWESOME..... The best thing to happen to Todd's AMNPS yet...  no tent to stop drippings from putting out the pellets or starting a fire inside the smoker.... no moisture to snuff out the pellets.... One more match made in heaven...

Now onto the 60#'s of bellies I have in the freezer and the 25#'s of cheese I bought on sale last week....    Good thing Todd had pellets on sale with a special offer awhile back... I did capitalize on his generosity....  Todd is one really good dude....  Pitmaster's Choice will get a good workout, once the temps cool here...  

Thank you to all, who have posted your ideas to improve the forum and make smoking stuff better.....   Dave 

The mod....  

Beautiful thin blue smoke.... it don't get any better than that.....  

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDITED SECTION

Mark the hole using the outside of the elbow as a template and cut inside the line to make the

hole the same size as the OD of the elbow...... Mark a line around the elbow 3/4" or so from the end...

Snip 16 cuts up to the line... Bend every other tab out 90 deg to the tube... insert tube and tabs into the MB...

Bend inside tabs out to complete the fastening.... I did not see any smoke leaking around the elbow....

Done with care, it should be a pretty tight seal...  It will rotate for a convenient fit up to the smoker.....

Elbows and flex are 3".....   

You might be able to see where I cut inside the line for a tight fit....  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pops6927....   his mod.....  The man who started this "mailbox revolution"....
2thumbs.gif

525x700px-LL-dd17bd98_018.jpeg

S2K9K...  his mod....  the "toolbox revolution" .....    

640x478px-LL-20ec729b_102_0716.jpeg

jrod62....  his mod..... "improving the UDS" ....

chrisblunk....  His mod..... "Improving the MES"... and who got me looking around the barn 

for my mailbox..... Thanks Chris.....  

Please add your AMNPS mods for all to see......   Dave

Last edited:
Dave, That looks Awesome! And also Pops, Jrod and Chris! I just love seeing mods like this!

And Thanks Dave for the info and the link for the scales, I am looking into them right now.

I have one question though, "What is a snowplow"? 
banana_smiley.gif

Dave, That looks Awesome! And also Pops, Jrod and Chris! I just love seeing mods like this!

And Thanks Dave for the info and the link for the scales, I am looking into them right now.

I have one question though, "What is a snowplow"?  
banana_smiley.gif
It is a great big truck with a blade on the front of it, that piles up white stuff in front of my driveway, so I have to do extra work to get to the store to buy butts, briskets, bellies and beer....

Last edited:
Reactions: old fart and bashby
White stuff? You don't mean....oh no it couldn't be that......that is so weird, a big truck delivering white stuff right to your driveway.....I just can't even imagine!

Great Job one and all!...JJ

Looks great and congrats to all on their successful mods. It's on the BF's to do list but I may have to do it myself since work has him running 3 jobs right now. 

We had a bunch of that white stuff on Pike's Peak last week and will probably get some more up there this week (yeah)

Well, I realized I didn't show how to attach the elbow to the mailbox..... Soooo, new pictures in the original post....

One more "brain f@rt" for the old guy I guess.....    

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveOmak

Please add your mod to this thread for all to see to continue inspiration for all our members...

I didn't have a mailbox but wanted to give the idea a try. I used a disposable aluminum pan I had and a piece of flashing for the lid. I had one elbow already & a friend picked up another one for me. I used aluminum tape to hold the lid on & the two elbows together. A 76mm hole saw made a perfect hole in the lid for the elbow. This is what I ended up with.

It works great & I am going to keep using it...

Reactions: smokeystacks99
I am thinking about doing this but I'd like to know if there's a certain mailbox I should get... Is aluminum ok or should I look for something else? I wasn't sure if there would be a problem with the heat and the mailbox metal type.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky