Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Smoker Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome, I'll have to look into those covers. I'm getting my wrangler delivered this evening and will have it in the garage for now, but may want to keep it out back, and I want to make sure it stays out of the rain.

I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. It's going to take some practice, but I'm determined to get this thing down. Managing the fire/heat is going to be the biggest thing now. I think I want to use splits that are 9-12 inches, leaning more towards 12. The splits I had were just about all 8" or below and the smoker seemed to just eat them up. I had a hard time managing the temperature as it would be too high (280 or more) or too low (190 - 215) for what I wanted. I've got a lot to learn and have been doing a lot of reading on this site and elsewhere. I'm going to get it...

Again..thank you..

Hey kingt36...nice looking pork butt there my friend. 

Also, thanks for the info on the covers guys.  I posted this thread awhile back about covers http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/142828/to-cover-or-not-to-cover-that-is-the-question  and ended up buying an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn cover.  It doesn't fit well at all, and I have all this fabric that would go over the little OK Joe smokestack just laying on mine, as our smokestack is a lot wider than the OK Joe.  And, the top of the cover is already faded all out and looks terrible. 

I emailed Old Country about a cover, and got this back: 

"Thank you for your purchase.
At the moment, we do not have covers.
We are looking for some companies to make some for our units.
It will be a few months before we have any.
Try a universal cover or a tarp or keep it in a covered patio."

And, I even emailed them back and asked that they let me know when they will have covers available.  I told them I live on a golf course and have hundreds of people by my house each day, so I do not want to use a tarp to cover my smoker.  :-)  Never got an answer.

And, I emailed Horizon to ask about their cover for their 20" Classic Smoker, which looks just about like the Wrangler.  They never answered either.

I also talked to a guy who takes care of all the grills where I live.  It is a time-share community...Silverleaf Resorts, and we have about 3,000 permanent residents at Holly Lake Ranch.  Anyway, they have a ton of the small steel bbq grills, one for each time-share...like the ones you see in parks.  They look to be 1/8" steel, and are never covered.  So, I just asked how they keep them from rusting.  And, he said they keep the outsides sprayed with WD-40.  Anybody ever heard of this? 

I am taking a serious look at the Wrangler.  How many slabs of baby back ribs can you get on the lower grate?  Thanks in advance!
The wrangler is an amazing pit for the money, I love mine very much. If you use a rib rack, you can easily fit 6 racks on the bottom rack, otherwise you can fit about 3 racks horizontally, and maybe 4 or 5 vertically if they are short enough. I'll be cooking 6 racks on mine next weekend, and I'll try to get some pics if I can. The cooking chamber is 30 inches wide, and I think it's 17 inches deep if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply glocksrock. Look forward to the pics! I have a 15 yr old brinkman that does ok. But I usually end up with 20-30 people and it is not big enough. I recently picked up a good one (for free) that i am in the process of restoring. The good one is not my type of smoker and I may end up selling....hence my interest in the wrangler. Enjoy the Labor Day!

I have the Wrangler and have been looking for a cover as you.  Saw the Smoke Joe one at Lowe's and looks like it would fit, but didn't want to chance.  Did it work out for you?  Funny Charbroil has it for $10 cheaper than Lowe's.  Thanks.

Thanks glocksrock...I guess I should have looked harder on the forum ;)  The XL is definitely XL, but will cover that and the wood I keep under the smoker for starting.  I also saw this Brinkman on Amazon that looks like it might work, but not willing to take the chance at twice the price and it might not fit.

Thanks again!

Yep, I ordered the XL last night.  With all the talk about Wrangler vs. Pecos, I went and measured mine.  What do you know, I have a Pecos.  The XL will dwarf it, but cover it completely :)

The Pecos is a bit longer and the cover will actually fit it better. I like the Pecos, but it doesn't have a top rack, and the steel is thinner than on the Wrangler, but it's cheaper and will still do a fine job. I'd really like to have the Brazos, but at twice the price of the Wrangler, I couldn't justify it.

Hello, does anyone knows where I can get an old country smoker. I am from California and I been having trouble looking for one

Hello, does anyone knows where I can get an old country smoker. I am from California and I been having trouble looking for one

I'm pretty sure Academy sports & outdoors is the only place that sells them. If you don't have one in your area, you can get it online.

Thanks for the reply glocksrock. Look forward to the pics! I have a 15 yr old brinkman that does ok. But I usually end up with 20-30 people and it is not big enough. I recently picked up a good one (for free) that i am in the process of restoring. The good one is not my type of smoker and I may end up selling....hence my interest in the wrangler. Enjoy the Labor Day!

I was able to do 7 racks, could have done one more slab on the top shelf, but didn't need to cook that many. I did find that the ribs in the middle of the rack didn't cook as evenly, so if you use a rib rack, you may want to rotate them around the rack after about an hour or so.

Last edited:
Thanks for the followup glocksrock.  The ribs look good; understand having to rotate sometimes...it's a given.  Academy sports is opening a new store here in Olathe.  Can't wait to take a close look at the Wrangler.   

I finally received the Charbroil XL cover and put it on.  The first night we had a storm blow in and blew it right off since it covers the Pecos completely.  I added a bungee and it works very well.  I store some stuff under the smoker and this really protects everything.  Not back for $20.  You can see the other cheap one that didn't work laying on the ground in front of it.  I do recommend this for the Pecos or the Wrangler. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky