Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Smoker Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
lphamilton, jrkapel, and grillin_all_day, got my Wrangler delivered today.  Been seasoning it tonight.  However, it had no temp gauge on delivery.  I knew the Pecos had no temp gauge...but thought the Wrangler did.  Did yours have a temp gauge?  I got everything I needed ahead of time, except a temp gauge, as I was sure Academy showed the Wrangler shipped with a temp gauge.

I didnt have one either and academy was sold out theday i got my smoker. But i found a threaded one at heb for 20bucks thats pretty nice. And even where its located on the door it reads the same temp as my oven thermometers on grate level.

I bought the O.C. therm. for $14.99 there, although I would highly suggest investing in a Maverick unit if you don't have one.  I have the ET-732 and love it.  It's dual probed so you have one for your meat and one for your cooking chamber.  You're going to get more accurate readings.  There was a 30 degree difference between my probe on the rack versus the probe on the lid.  To be honest I only put it there to give me an estimate on what the temps was while waiting to throw the meat in.

Another option is if you're willing to drill into your new pit is to do what Aaron Franklin did to his.  If you haven't seen BBQ with Franklin on youtube yet, check it out.  This is the one where he relocates the therm. on an O.C. Ranch Hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybrM6EQ6fg 

Thanks for the info guys.  Don't know why I thought the Wrangler came with a temp gauge. 

I do have the ET-732, and that's what I was using last night to gauge everything.  It worked like a charm.  I have a few other cheap temp gauges for testing temps across the grate with, and found only a 25-30-degree difference from one end to the other on the grate.  But, of course, it is a rather small grate at 24" long.  I do like having the upper grate though...and I like how they all slide out.  I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this bad-boy.  Going to go through the seasoning process again this morning...and try to smoke a couple of chickens and some sausages this afternoon, as a test. 

BTW...has anyone seen this video from Ben Lang on seasoning a smoker, or what he suggests to always do to clean the smoker, as far as spraying water in it?  I did everything but that.  :-) 

I did see that video of Aaron Franklin...actually, I have all his videos saved as favorites. 

Been playing with the Wrangler all day, and it will hold pretty consistent temperatures.  I did see that you can even grill on this bad-boy if you want to.  I got it to hold about 400-405 for an hour this morning.  Then, started letting it cool down.  It held at about 325 for an hour or so with no problem.  Then, I started trying to get it down to that magic 200-225 area.  No problem holding at 250 forever.  But, I had some real problems getting down to 220 and holding.  I was doing good for a while, holding right at 220, TBS and everything for about an hour.  Then my temp started declining and I went to add some wood.  OMG!!  Thick, white, ugly smoke forever...didn't think it was ever going to clear up and go back to TBS.  So glad I was just playing and didn't really have anything on it.  Finally figured out (from reading oldschoolbbq's stickburning 101 article again) that I had too much ash build-up...so the fire wasn't getting enough air.  Once I got those old ashes dug out, we've been good to go again.

I've had it running since 7:30 this morning, and decided it was seasoned enough...I HAVE TO SMOKE SOMETHING!  So, I started trying to figure out something quick, that wouldn't hurt too much if I ruined it.  Thought about chicken, but didn't have any, and didn't have enough time to bring them.  So, I'm going to smoke a small pork tenderloin, some jalapeno sausages, and I made my own armadillo eggs.  Can't wait to stick it all on. 

Temp looking good on the smoker (TBS for over an hour) and the tenderloin is coming along.  Running short on beer though...ONLY have a 6-pack left.  :-)  I knew I'd like this.  LOL!!
As a rule of thumb, when playing with the smoker (even if you're just "testing" it), you should always have plenty of meat and beer on hand because you know you're going to want to throw something in there!!

Looking good though, can't wait to see the results.

If ur having problems staying at 225 i found if you take ur splits and resplit them to about an inch thick sn burn a smaller fire.

Reactions: mickhlr

Wow!!  Everything was awesome!  I've never cooked a tenderloin low and slow before...afraid it would dry out.  But, it was fantastic.  My favorite was the sausage roll, stuffed with cheese and jalapenos, wrapped in bacon...Mmmm, Mmmm!! 

And, amen on having plenty of meat and beer on hand!! LOL!!

Can't get any better than this.  :-)  I had a great time today, playing with the Wrangler and drinking Newcastles.  As you can see, my back yard ends on the tee-box, (#15 at Holly Lake Ranch) and I probably could've made some money today if I'd had some BBQ ready as each group came through. 

Thanks Cwalk...we do love it out here.  Nice and peaceful, great golf course, and 24x7 security with a gate guard.  It's a Silverleaf Resorts community, and we feel very blessed to be able to live here.  Seeing that you're from Little Rock...we're originally from Texarkana, and found this place about 10 years ago, as we were looking for a place different to go play golf for a week.  So, we traded our timeshare in Hot Springs for a week down here, had a ball, and said if we ever have a chance to live here, we're gonna do it.  We've been here a little over 2 years now.  We're about 30 minutes north of Tyler.

That is an amazing setup you got there! All the food looks delicious too! What kind of wood were you using today? Being that not too far away, if you're ever back near Barksdale, drop me a line. You'd be surprised how much I've been told the base has changed over the years, but still looks the same.

grillin_all_day, I will do that, next time we head that direction.  We used to a lot, but now we've got grandbabies in Texarkana and College Station...so we're usually north or south.. :-)  Barksdale was my first base.  Then, my last base was Ramstein, so I actually retired from Barksdale...started it and ended it there.  We used to live out North Airline 10-13 years ago, Bayou Bend subdivision.  And, before that, I lived in a patio home outside the north gate.  Was a member of the base golf course, and played every day.  And, you're right...I can see all the changes, but it does still look the same.

I started out this morning using oak, but before I put the food on I switched to apple.  And, it was all good.

It is really great that you are sharing all of this good information about your stick burner and its performance, especially the seasoning and performance. It has influenced me and provided valuable insight into the purchase of a stick burner which I did this week.

However, the most important aspect of all of your posts is that you are showing your excitement and enthusiasm for traditional wood/charcoal smoking. And, it really shows how happy you are in pursuing this wonderful hobby and passion. It is fun, isn't it? And, you have immediate gratification on your results.

It is a learning experience and we are all not too old to continue to learn a little bit more.

With kind regards,

Ed

Reactions: mickhlr
Looks outstanding mick. Guess later this weekend ima have to find time again to fire up mine. In the field for most of it but sunday u can beleave ill be smokin something and have beer in hand. I gota look into that thermometer though. I have a digital one i use but only has a meat probe. Where did u find yours at and price wise.

Looks outstanding mick. Guess later this weekend ima have to find time again to fire up mine. In the field for most of it but sunday u can beleave ill be smokin something and have beer in hand. I gota look into that thermometer though. I have a digital one i use but only has a meat probe. Where did u find yours at and price wise.
Thanks Lance.  I'm gonna be out of town this weekend, and that's why I just had to get it fired up yesterday...and just SMOKE SOMETHING! 

That thermometer is a Maverick ET-732, and is the most highly recommended thermometer that I could find in all my research.  And, I see why.  I ordered mine from Amazon for $60.  Well worth it, I think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky