Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Smoker Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also had major major issues getting temps to hold steady. It was either blazing and 400* or choke the fire, and billows of white smoke. BUT after a couple times using and experimenting, I found that if I build the fire all the way to the right of the firebox, instead of the middle or closer to the inlet to the smoke box, WAY easier to control. Night and day. It was pissing me off, watching all these videos of people just cracking/closing the butterfly damper and raising/dropping temps like it was nothing. 

I use 9" splits, throw a new split on when i notice temps dropping and 10* or lower than desired. 

Using this method, i rarely get temp swings, +/- 10* either way. And beautiful TBS. 
All the way to the right as in all the way near the actual damper? I been doing this too. I center it and put the fire as close as I can to the actual side door to the firebox

i mostly cook at 250 and yes i can peg it and keep it steady for hour 2 or more until i need to add fuel

(250 grate level, 225 on thermo on lid)

Last edited:
i do what you do but my temps rise up to however big a split i put usually up to 270 and slow decline down. this is for about 40 mins max. i start with half chimney of charcoal and use oak. damper open half or less than that. so i dont understand why mine is not steady steady. it goes up a "hill" and down. slowly though. 

When I got mines this past Friday, I seasoned it and notice the SFB door is not sealed all the way at the top section. I can see the flames from the mini logs when the SFB door is shut. Any suggestions on how I can correct this door? I thought about heating the door up and trying to bend it into place. I don't know if it will work.

I got mine this past Thursday and I found some of the same problems too but being an HVAC tech I ordered some bbq gasket seal off of amazon and sealed up my firebox doors and my smoking chamber door where I found any gaps and now this thing is sealed tight. Ive been experimenting with different fuels from logs to lump. Now I'm trying the minion method with 20 lbs of kingsford original to see how long I can cook, right now I'm doing a chuck roast. Love this smoker :yahoo::grilling_smilie:

I've seen some stove gasket kits they sell at Ace Hardware, but I don't know the quality. I'm probably gonna search around on the internet.

Thanks John! Will def search amazon.com. Any tips on making tuning plates besides what the OP mentioned? Also, what size sealant did you use? 1/2 x 1/8? Thanks!

Last edited:
I used both 1/2 and 1/8" gaskets and used 20 guage sheet metal for tuning plates. Hope this helps:grilling_smilie:

I just realized that the rust on my wrangler is worst than I thought. I've contacted customer service to see if they can deliver me an exchange. I love the smoker, but the rust is getting to me :(

There is surface rust on the bottom of the cooking chamber, all of the door hinges, bottom of the SFB, the smoke stack bottom where the "L" is, and connection from the stack to the chamber is welded. I almost forgot to add the weld spots on the spokes of the wheel and its bearings.

Last edited:
does anyone know if there is a difference if i use 1/4 inch steel for tuning plates vs a thinner set? i am guessing the 1/4 inch is better as it will help deflect more heat? even will hold heat longer probably for the long smokes

I got mine this past Thursday and I found some of the same problems too but being an HVAC tech I ordered some bbq gasket seal off of amazon and sealed up my firebox doors and my smoking chamber door where I found any gaps and now this thing is sealed tight. Ive been experimenting with different fuels from logs to lump. Now I'm trying the minion method with 20 lbs of kingsford original to see how long I can cook, right now I'm doing a chuck roast. Love this smoker
yahoo.gif
grilling_smilie.gif
Can you post some pics of how you placed your gaskets and where? I've been eyeing these cookers and the ones I've looked at each seemed to have a couple spots on either lid where it didn't sit flush and had a gap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky