not much smoke MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

topbud

Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I have had my MES 30 for about a year or so and have been smoking regularly. I am not getting the smoke I would like. When I put in wood chips, it smokes for a bit and then stops, when I look at the chips in the tray, they aren't totally blackened but they are no longr smoking. I just read about a few mods for cold smoking, but I am just looking to get more smoke from what I have. I am going to try to smoke a butt in the morning, so I would like some ideas to play with.

Thanks

What mneeley said, but I use mine with out the mailbox and have gotten good smoke for 11.5 hours when it is full.

Hi there and welcome!

Another vote here for the the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMPNS) and the use of wood pellets.

The MES is built to operate in a fashion where the heating element will cut on for a long time to try and heat the wood for smoke (which will cause a swing in temp over your set temp).

The MES temp probes are notorious for being very inaccurate so if you set to 225F you may actually only be getting to 200F and that may not be enough to light or keep the chips lit.

The AMNPS will completely separate your ability to generate smoke from the MES heating element.

I know it may sound odd but almost all of us MES owners use the AMNPS and it is simply just the way to go and you will also get between 9-12 hrs of ability to generate smoke WITHOUT needing to continuously add wood so it is a great investment for a set and forget MES setup :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky