Newbie Smoker from OK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokes13

Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Just got into smoking the last year or so. I have always looked at SMF for advice but never posted before. Currently use a Weber Kettle for me smoking needs but looking to get something better in the coming weeks! Stuck between a few different Old Country and Oklahoma Joes smokers or just going with a 22" WSM.

Pokes13, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and a Weber Kettle fan.  There are a bunch of us who hang out here. 

It was an easy decision for me here in California, the WSM.  Cooking wood is prohibitively expensive in Sacramento, $350-$400 a cord.  Hickory is not available at all for a stick burner.  It was oak or fruit wood only. 

Whatever you choose, you'll love once you get used to how it smokes and get your process down.  Have fun choosing and shopping!

Ray 

Welcome and lots of good options out there.  Depends price and style but bottom line is "smoked meat"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys! I have a budget around $500. I know WSM is probably the "smarter" buy but there is just something about those stick burners that intices my primitive instincts

I was having that debate myself, after research and talking to a bunch of people I came to the conclusion of going with the WSM.

But in fairness I am also a bit of Weber junkie as well

Reactions: pokes13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky