Newbie Here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

racer102

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
First build need advice. Will this work for a air compressor tank 20 X 48

1-   18 X 18 Fb to be used

2-  Cut into tank will be 5" from the bottom to seam which is 5" in from crown of tank

3- plate mounted flush with FB. Will be using a channel and sloping to opposite end for drain

4- cooking grate would be 4 to 5 inches above plate

Thanks in advance for the info. Those calculation pages just screw me up have come up with 8" from the bottom seems really high to me and just leaves no grate area to speak of

So with a dome end on a compressor tank what do I use Partial round, football ETC. ????

Also how deep do I set it into the tank

Last edited:
So I measured the tank from seam to end of dome 43.5" so that is my true length now, not the way I was measuring it total end to end at 48".

So recalc. at 43.5"

That's close enough to get an approximate volume... AND will get good numbers for the rest of the calculations so you have a great smoker.......

Dave

Thanks Dave greatly appreciate your advice. Now off to start up the plasma cutter and get tis thing started

Here it is the start of my smoker. Thanks to Dave for the help. I'm slowly doing this as I had cancer surgery 4 weeks ago and I'm still not up to full speed so I tinker then rest for the day then work a little more

Marking the cut out for the throat was a challenge but got it marked. I used my Dial Indicator base with a long drill bit in it the taped a magic marker to that. Set height and went to marking. Put a piece of sheet metal down so that it would move smoothly around without any jarring worked great.

Here is what I have so far

Is there any real height standards for a smoker from the ground to bottom of door is it more preference

My smoker will have about 4 to 5 inches from plate to grate and leave me 10" above the grate to top will this be ok

You could make the grate adjustable.... from 3" to 5" from the RF plate to accommodate larger cuts of meat.. maybe add a second grate so you could have one at 3" and one at 9" for smaller cuts of meat....

The only standard is making the smoker accommodate your needs...

That's close enough to get an approximate volume... AND will get good numbers for the rest of the calculations so you have a great smoker.......

Dave
Dave, is the proper measurement from end to end including the domes? or from seem to seem? or what?

Fire box dampers. I have a end door going in to the fire box. Where is the best placement for the damper front or side round or sliding square. should it be mounted low  middle or high

So it looks like square is better than round is that correct. Also the square inch calcs I take are based son sea level I'm at 5000 ft. Says I need 13.5 sq in how much should this be increased

Question about flue. I know the height I'm suppose to use according to the calculator sheet but where do you measure from. I'm using a 90 degree elbow out of the end of the cc so is it from the bottom of the elbow to top or what  Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky