Newbie cooking a NY strip on an Ironwood 885

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd get another thermometer in there to see if it was at actually at 500.
Should certainly get grill marks at 500.

Reactions: leedcn
For the avg. NY strip it's about 8 mins. total. I put it directly over the heat. When the steak releases freely from the grate rotate the steak a 1/4 turn. for another min. or so. Flip and repeat. That's for a rare steak.

Chris

500 degrees in a pellet is more roasting than grilling. The grate on your unit is thin stainless and is not ideal for “grill lines”. Just know that grill lines are mostly aesthetic vs actual searing for Maillard reaction……

Here is and example of some fillets on my old Memphis grill it has 3/8” grates and would give slight marks but look at the over all color…ie Maillard reaction….very tasty….. I think low fat steaks works best when roasting like this….
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fathers-day-filet-dinner-bingo.287996/

If you want “lines” I would suggest some grill grates or a case iron pan that is allowed to get fully heated as B BigW. noted above.

Last edited:
Great advice above . I'll add some thoughts .

Was the surface of the steak dry ? If not , you're steaming the steak to start .

How long did you pre heat the grill ? I like to have it fully heated so the grates and interior parts are releasing heat , not using it .

I always let my steaks warm on the counter before grilling . Some don't like to do this , I usually go about an hour .

If grill marks are important , you really only need one side marked up . Presentation side .

500 degrees in a pellet is more roasting that grilling.
Agree . Picture putting something in a house oven at 500 . Not a bad thing . Get that surface sealed up at roasting temps and the moisture stays inside .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky