"New" Weber Smokey Mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

I just picked up up my new 2014 Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 yesterday from Home Depot. After about a year of trying to decide if I really needed this smoker, in addition to my Weber Kettle, the lure was too strong and I convinced myself I had to have it. I lovingly assembled it yesterday afternoon in the bright spring sun, wiped it off and polished it till it gleamed. I planned today's first smoke, (chicken of course), and woke up this morning to several inches of new snow, and its still snowing.  Ahhh, life in the high Rockies.

After struggling with my Brinkman Trailmaster LE for a year, I'm excited to use a smoker with a reputation for ease of use, and reliable temperature control. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Trailmaster LE and smoked a lot of meat on it, but at this altitude, 7500' you can have 20-30 degree temperature swings in the middle of a summer day. Maintaining a consistent temperature was a lot of work and babysitting. I'm hoping the WSM will be little easier to use.   So many recipes, so little free time!     

If I didn't already have a Masterbuilt I think I'd go with a WSM. When I decided to buy a smoker I decided to go electric so I wouldn't have to keep adding both charcoal and wood chips or pellets throughout the smoke. And the MES I bought was cheaper. Had I gone with the WSM, I would have wanted the 22.5 since I have a Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5 grill and that size is perfect for what I cook.

Just curious: do the A-MAZE-N smokers work well inside the WSM?

I've used my 18.5 WSM since '06 mostly for smoking bacon and beef jerky, ana all at a temperature of 145F (plus a little climb thereafter) and smoke time of five hours.  Tthe temperature holds steady, uses one chimney or less of charcoal, and requires only a small handful of smokewood, 6 thumb sized pieces.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky