"New" Weber Smokey Mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pete77

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
I just ordered a 18.5" Weber from Amazon right after Christmas. It was listed for $299 but was on backorder. It is now being processed by Amazon and the price is up to $330. How can I tell if this is the 2014 model with the side handles the thermometer adaptor for the cooking area?

Thanks, and can hardly wait.

You should be able to look at the description from what you you ordered and see if, "Silicone Temperature Grommet" is included in the description. If so, then it is (or at least should be) the 2014 model. That feature is new... Hope this helps!

I just finished ( or almost finished) putting my new smokey mountain together, and yes, it was a 2014 model. But I can not for the life of me get the temperature probe gasket into that 2" hole!!! Anyone have any tricks on getting this accomplished??? It looks like it would be so easy!!

Thanks

Reactions: dandiele

I just finished ( or almost finished) putting my new smokey mountain together, and yes, it was a 2014 model. But I can not for the life of me get the temperature probe gasket into that 2" hole!!! Anyone have any tricks on getting this accomplished??? It looks like it would be so easy!!

Thanks
Get physical with it.  I had the same problem.  I got one end started then put some muscle into it and it popped into place.

Just pack it back up and send it to me and I will be glad to take care of it for you! I will even send you a picture of the end results! 

Last edited:
Just get that sucker in there and ignore it. You won't be using it. Get yourself a proper digital probe and stick the sensor through the top vent.

:)

~Z

If you need further grommets look at the link below my signature - you can add as many grommets as you want for about $5. I have 2, one just below the upper rack and one above the lower rack. Each on can accomodate up to three probes without any issues.

I was just getting ready to box it back up and ship it off to Topekachef when the wife got home. The extra pair of hands and a small screwdriver helped get the thing on. Never though of alittle bit of lube but I bet that would have helped!! Does wonders for people my age!

PS. It did not come with the extra set of handles.

I don't think there are extra handles, even on the new model. I believe there was some confusion over that when the schematics first came out .

I was just getting ready to box it back up and ship it off to Topekachef when the wife got home. The extra pair of hands and a small screwdriver helped get the thing on. Never though of alittle bit of lube but I bet that would have helped!! Does wonders for people my age!

PS. It did not come with the extra set of handles.

One if the joys of having your college grad son living with you. After attempting (and failing) for way too long asked my son to help out. Went in to wash my hands and when I returned it was done. His friends were oohing and ahhing over it and asking when was my first smoke. So I have some fin times ahead

Just ordered my 22.5" WSM from Amazon. It is supposed to arrive on Friday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be the "newer" model. I'm pumped to fire this baby up!!

Toby

Last edited:
Just got my 18 " yesterday. It turned out to be the new model even though the sales guy thought it wasn't.! I was pleased, although putting your own mod. On the smoker to make for a probe hole isn't a big deal. Just saves you some time when you don't have to do it!

I was having the same problem a couple of days ago...even called Weber for advice.  I finally got the grommet in by getting one side started and pulling the lip through the back side, working my way around.  I kept doing that until it seated itself.  Definitely worth the trouble, though as it works great with the Maverick I've got.

I got a 18 and a half inch wsm for Christmas and love it so far. Its the new one and got the maverick probe also. Man the thing is easy to use and setting on the couch and not having to wonder what the temp on the smoker is wow how great is that! I just joined the site and it looks to be a good one! Hope to learn alot and add little to this place. Just fixed ribs so far and they were very good. Hope to do somecchickens and a butt Friday on my day off. I had little trouble with the gromet but not bad. I use a big and small weber and a old smoker grill also. Nothing fancy but I do pretty fair grilling and hope to get the smoker down. Man there are some guys with nice smoking toys on here for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky