New Twist To An Old Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thinking about bringing the smoker into work and media blasting it. If I did would I have to reseason it? Gonna push through and and do all the mods I've wanted to do. Might be another week or two before I getter done but just gonna go for it. Was thinking when it comes the reverse flow plate having clean metal to work with would be great. Also unsure if I shoulda started new thread to ask that.

Cleaning the inside will help with the welding of the RF install...  Figure on using a plenum for the exhaust stack.... adds more room to the cooking grates....   Also, install the RF plate 1-2" above the opening to the firebox...  that will reduce the friction and allow for better air/heat flow through the smoker....    Dave

Last edited:
Hey Dave, I'm thinking if I came out the side of the cc with smoke stack the door of the firebox would hit it and not open. Also, the window cut out between the firebox and the cc is already more than halfway up the cc. Even if I put the plate right level with the opening that puts my grate only 5 inches from the top and above the lid opening. So I'm thinking of closing some of the window off and doing an initial slope down. What do you think. Should I close enough off so it is an 1 or 2 under the reverse flow plate?

To properly make the mod will take some thinking....  Measure the cook chamber dia/length... firebox the same...stack, the same.... Dave

Both firebox and cc are 16" in diameter, firebox is 17" long, and cc is 35" long. Smoke stack 3" in diameter but I have access to all kinds of tube so can change that when I move to the other side.

popcorn.gif

JT, afternoon....  Here is what I came up with.....  Since you are talking about blasting and welding already, here is a little more work along that line.... below is a cross section of the cook chamber.... an RF plate dropped in the smoker tight to one end leaving 4" space at the other will be a good start...  Close off the opening above the RF plate.......  Modify the end of the firebox as shown to mirror image the CC...  Other stuff to think about..... Thermal mass would be a good idea in the firebox to hold heat and stabilize temps...   What are you doing for smoke ??   I would add a "mailboxbox" mod to the opposite end of the cook chamber...  Just something to slide the AMNPS into... That way, the gas flame wouldn't consume the smoke and the AMNPS would run cooler .... The draw from the stack would suck air through the "MB" mod box for air supply...  ( If all the air leaks in the smoker were sealed )... Dave

.......... click on to enlarge .........

http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalcula....90,24.19&fi=0,0,0,10.25,0&fc=5.90,8.34,27.34

This will help a lot, thanks Dave. As far as smoke goes, I've had good luck with wood chunks, I use a 10" cast iron pan above the burner. Down the road I might do a mailbox mod. Once again, thanks.

So it's been a while since I've posted. Haven't got to far, mostly cause I think I have OCD and probably do way more than I should. But hey, it's a hobby that I can go out in da nice warm garage, drink beer, watch tv, and build something really cool. I do miss using the damn thing though. Anywho, here's where I'm at...............

Technology these days, these little battery operated igniters are cool.

Need to add legs to raise burner grate up 2 inches.

man, i was looking for a smoke generator for my propane smoke vault, and found this thread. the thermostat is a damn good idea. as i am constantly chasing that perfect temp and keeping the wood burning. what i was thinking was a AMNPS do i can drop my temps to 200-225 range and still maintain smoke. this thermostat would make the smoke vault a much more consistent and relaxing experience. 

what i was wondering if there is a cheap way to scrounge up these parts if i cant find the pieces hidden in my garage. i know new rv parts are expensive, and what alternatives might i have to put this together?

I'd say hit your local junkyard. For a guy like me a junkyard can be a gold mine for parts. As far as alternatives go, that just depends on how handy you are. I used a thermostat out of an rv oven because I had one. One out of house oven might work? Sorry I'm kinda vague but too many variables to give you a definitive answer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky