New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scox80

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Sunnyvale
Hello everyone,

I live in the Silicon Valley, California. I Just recently, finally, purchased a smoker. I got a 38" Smoke Hollow Propane Box smoker. Being in property management, I've lived in apartments since I was about 21. Which has made it impossible to own/use a smoker. I chose the propane style for three reasons. First is price, second is I don't have a good electrical outlet in my backyard that could support using an electric smoker. The third is, since I've been apartment living for over 15 years I didn't want to have to learn how to smoke and maintain charcoal temps at the same time.  I have made a few "mods" to my smoker. When I first got it I added the lava lock gasket. I also purchased the bayou classic 10psi regulator with an inline needle valve, although I haven't installed it yet. I also purchased the iGrill2 with the ambient temperature probe. The stock thermometer is garbage. 

In the few weeks I've had it, I have already smoked two pork butts, at the same time. Chicken, and a trip tip. Definitely getting creosote.

So far I haven't been able to consistently achieve TBS, I think I'm using too much wood. Ive been using un-soaked chunks. The temperature has been hard to get to stay exactly where I want it. But I can tell its just me getting used to the settings. Which I know will change once I install the new regulator.

I've been lurking around here for the past few weeks and have gotten some pretty good tips so thank you!  

Scox 

my first smoker was a propane "box style" i quit soaking the chips towards the end my chip holder had like a bowl in it  that I just filled with more chips , and I just used the bottom rack to hold a pan of water. TBS is not impossible , but it will not be easy either.

Welcome to SMF!

I use chunks in my gasser & get good TBS!

Try using bigger chunks.

I cut mine from splits using a chop saw.

Al

Welcome to SMF!

I use chunks in my gasser & get good TBS!

Try using bigger chunks.

I cut mine from splits using a chop saw.

Al
So I've used only chunks so far. Pretty good size. I would say no smaller than a baseball. Even bigger? Thanks for the input!

So I've used only chunks so far. Pretty good size. I would say no smaller than a baseball. Even bigger? Thanks for the input!
This is how I start out with a couple of chunks & some chips in the middle to get everything going, then only chunks.

Hope this helps!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky