New to smoking, got a Smoke Vault 18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

urg8rb8

Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
I am eager to try my hand at smoking meat for the first time. I bought the Vault 18, bought hickory and pecan chunks, and a rack of ribs and chicken. What is the best method to cook the meat for a newbie? I read about the 3-2-1 method for the ribs. Is there an easy way to cook chicken breasts? I'd also like to cook both at the same time to save time. I'm assuming the chicken is going will cook faster so I'm imagining that the ribs will start cooking and then later the chicken is added to the smoker so that both finish at the same time?

Looks like the ribs will take 6 hours to cook. How much propane will that use up?

Is there a complete how-to primer that explains everything to newbies? I'm wondering about cooking temperature for different meats. Can they all cook at the same time at the same temp?

Reactions: JC in GB
What is the best method to cook the meat for a newbie?
Is there an easy way to cook chicken breasts?
How much propane will that use up?
Is there a complete how-to primer that explains everything to newbies?
Can they all cook at the same time at the same temp?

Trial and error.
Yup.
Depends.
Yes.
No.

Look around for your specific smoker or grill. Search the internet for the meat or vegetable you are cooking.

There are no absolutes. Buy food. Cook it. Then next time, try again until you are able to create what you like.

#1, buy yourself a quality meat thermometer. Preferably a 4 probe ( you'll be happy you did ). 1 probe to monitor smoker temp and the others in various meats being smoked.
The search feature will be your friend on this site,and congrats on your new addiction. :emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks everyone! I am currently seasoning the smoker with a chunk of pecan wood and it smells so amazing! :D Can't wait to cook some good food!

I've got a smoke vault 24" and have for 4-5 years and it is still running great. Produces great ribs. Did you get spare ribs or baby backs? I'm assuming you got chicken breasts and not a whole chicken? I like running ribs a little lower and poultry at a higher temp but both will be fine. If running both at the same time I would shoot for about 250.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts can tend to dry out so I would maybe brine them first if possible. You are correct that the chicken will cook way quicker than the ribs. Run the chicken on the top rack and put an aluminum pan underneath and then the ribs below that. That way you don't get chicken juice dripping on your ribs. 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 2-2-1 for BB's will get you fall off the bone style ribs if that's the way you like them. 195 IT will get you super tender but with a little bite to them.

As far as the propane goes mine does very well. I always keep an extra tank on hand but usually get several smokes before having to replace it. If you have any questions or need any help at all feel free to ask. Several SV owners on here!

I like using the Myron Mixon method for chicken. Always turns out tender and juicy.

SmokinVol has you pretty much covered. I will add that if your chicken comes out dry then just use it to make chicken salad. It's great. BTW welcome to the site.

Chris

I've got a smoke vault 24" and have for 4-5 years and it is still running great. Produces great ribs. Did you get spare ribs or baby backs? I'm assuming you got chicken breasts and not a whole chicken? I like running ribs a little lower and poultry at a higher temp but both will be fine. If running both at the same time I would shoot for about 250.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts can tend to dry out so I would maybe brine them first if possible. You are correct that the chicken will cook way quicker than the ribs. Run the chicken on the top rack and put an aluminum pan underneath and then the ribs below that. That way you don't get chicken juice dripping on your ribs. 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 2-2-1 for BB's will get you fall off the bone style ribs if that's the way you like them. 195 IT will get you super tender but with a little bite to them.

As far as the propane goes mine does very well. I always keep an extra tank on hand but usually get several smokes before having to replace it. If you have any questions or need any help at all feel free to ask. Several SV owners on here!

Thank you for your detailed reply! I do have BB Ribs so I will use the 2-2-1 method and I am going to use boneless chicken breasts.

I have a stupid follow up question: Since I am using wood chunks, when during the 2-2-1 method should the wood be smoking? During the first 2 hours and the last hour? Or just during the first 2 hours?

Btw, go SEC! :D

SmokinVol has you pretty much covered. I will add that if your chicken comes out dry then just use it to make chicken salad. It's great. BTW welcome to the site.

Chris

Thanks for that suggestion!

#1, buy yourself a quality meat thermometer. Preferably a 4 probe ( you'll be happy you did ). 1 probe to monitor smoker temp and the others in various meats being smoked.
The search feature will be your friend on this site,and congrats on your new addiction. :emoji_sunglasses:

I'll look into this as I become better in the hobby!

Thank you for your detailed reply! I do have BB Ribs so I will use the 2-2-1 method and I am going to use boneless chicken breasts.

I have a stupid follow up question: Since I am using wood chunks, when during the 2-2-1 method should the wood be smoking? During the first 2 hours and the last hour? Or just during the first 2 hours?

Btw, go SEC! :D

No stupid questions here man. Really no need to roll smoke while they are wrapped up in foil so you can do the first two hours and the last one.

Another tip if you haven’t seen it I like to put some squeeze butter, brown sugar, and rub in my foil ribs face down on it while they are wrapped up but you can add whatever you like or nothing at all.

Not sure what kind of chunks you have but apple does really well with ribs and chicken but almost anything will work. Take it easy if it’s mesquite as it is quite powerful.

All just my personal preferences but figured I would share in case it helps. Make sure to take some pics and post them!

No stupid questions here man. Really no need to roll smoke while they are wrapped up in foil so you can do the first two hours and the last one.

Another tip if you haven’t seen it I like to put some squeeze butter, brown sugar, and rub in my foil ribs face down on it while they are wrapped up but you can add whatever you like or nothing at all.

Not sure what kind of chunks you have but apple does really well with ribs and chicken but almost anything will work. Take it easy if it’s mesquite as it is quite powerful.

All just my personal preferences but figured I would share in case it helps. Make sure to take some pics and post them!

Thanks again! I got some pecan and hickory wood. From what I read, the pecan might be a little light for the ribs but good for the chicken. Maybe what I'll do is do the first two hours with the hickory, no wood during the 1 hour foil wrap, then throw in the pecan and the chicken breast for the last hour.

Yes, I'll post pics. I'm out of town this weekend, but next weekend is the plan.

That is a great little smoker. I had one at least 15 years. It even lived with a tree falling on part of the unit. It does take some trial and error. I did a lot of pork ribs, pork tenderloins and turkeys. Good luck and have fun.

I'll look into this as I become better in the hobby!

Welcome to the forum. As Winterrider said, get yourself at least a good 2 probe thermometer or better yet a good 4 probe right off the bat (I found that out the hard way when I started out). You will become much better much sooner. Also, there are no dumb questions so ask away.

Ok so I finally smoked the ribs today and they came out really good! They weren't falling off the bone and they came out slightly on the dry side but still tasted really good.

How does one make the ribs moister? I tried to target 225F but sometimes it seemed like it was hard to dial it in. And there are times where I thought the temp was stable and I walk away for a few mins and come back, and the temp is higher (like 260F). Maybe next time I will put apple juice or something in the foil to help with that.

I have the same smoker. unfortunately it’s a lot of trial and error. cook to temps and not time.

I started with baby back ribs, then pork, shoulder, chicken, beef short ribs, brisket in that order.

purchase a remote multi probe temp probe. the gauge on the front of the unit is not accurate. also buy a needle valve at the same time to dial in the temps.

I smoke chicken at 200 for about 1.5 hours on the top rack. lots of info on here.

good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky