New to off-set smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
Last night I picked up a New Braunsfel off-set. I've never used one before. Previous owner said he had to run with intake and exhaust almost closed to keep it at 250 using lump. I plan on trying straight up oak. Where should I start? I'm planning on just playing with temps before actually putting anything in the cook chamber. Just curious where to start. Thank you, it's going to be fun! (and only 20 bucks!)

I don’t own one but I might try a quarter chimney of lit coals and 1 split cut in half. If that works then add 1/2 split every 30-40 min to maintain temps. If it doesn’t then just take notes and adjust.
Someone who owns one might chime in.

If you want to smoke something while you are playing with getting used it it, throw a prok shoulder/butt on there, they are pretty hard to mess up and are very forgiving.

I currently use a New Braufels as my primary smoker and actually run it opposite of the way the previous owner had recommended. I run it with the exhaust wide open as well as leave the firebox door wide open unless the outside air temp is below 40 degrees. The previous owner was more than likely adding too much fuel and therefore having to choke down on the airflow to lower the temps.

I run mine with mixed hardwood splits (oak, maple, hickory) about 2 inches in diameter and 7-9 inches in length, I typically have 2-3 splits burning at any given time to help maintain a solid bed of coals. If I find the temperature moving up I just move the fire further from the cook chamber opening. I would recommend using a water pan to both provide humidity and act as a deflector plate as the firebox/cook chamber opening is pretty high in the cook chamber. I have also elevated my grates around 4 inches above the stock grate position as I found too much heat was flowing over the top while barely any color/temp was hitting the bottom of the meat.

Hope you find this helpful, happy to provide more info/answer any questions you have.

If you want to smoke something while you are playing with getting used it it, throw a prok shoulder/butt on there, they are pretty hard to mess up and are very forgiving.
Good idea, except I just did one last weekend for my youngest son's college graduation/enlistment party and I've been eating left overs all week!:)

I currently use a New Braufels as my primary smoker and actually run it opposite of the way the previous owner had recommended. I run it with the exhaust wide open as well as leave the firebox door wide open unless the outside air temp is below 40 degrees. The previous owner was more than likely adding too much fuel and therefore having to choke down on the airflow to lower the temps.

I run mine with mixed hardwood splits (oak, maple, hickory) about 2 inches in diameter and 7-9 inches in length, I typically have 2-3 splits burning at any given time to help maintain a solid bed of coals. If I find the temperature moving up I just move the fire further from the cook chamber opening. I would recommend using a water pan to both provide humidity and act as a deflector plate as the firebox/cook chamber opening is pretty high in the cook chamber. I have also elevated my grates around 4 inches above the stock grate position as I found too much heat was flowing over the top while barely any color/temp was hitting the bottom of the meat.

Hope you find this helpful, happy to provide more info/answer any questions you have.
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I'm new to this. I've got a ton of oak, so I can play. I figured I'd mimic Franklins method. Thanks.

I don’t own one but I might try a quarter chimney of lit coals and 1 split cut in half. If that works then add 1/2 split every 30-40 min to maintain temps. If it doesn’t then just take notes and adjust.
Someone who owns one might chime in.
Thank you.

If I had 12 to 14 inch diameter logs I would probably split them into about 8 pieces. I find that smaller splits catch up quickly and burn cleaner. May have to add wood more often but I like tending my smoker anyway. That to me is part of the deal with a stick burner.

I set mine up in a rotation for longer cooks. Pile of splits by the fire box, 2 or 3 logs on top of fire box ready to go in, 1 split inside firebox at front ready to be rolled into the fire. As a split goes into the fire all others move up and continue staging as I go.

Weedeater

I run the exhaust wide open and choke with the firebox intake. If your offset doesn't already have some kind of heat deflector, you can improvise one. See my sig link.

"Splits" are whatever you like; smaller ones light faster but also burn away faster. I like to have a mix of sizes so I can have some big steady ones burning and toss in small ones for lighting or reviving.

You're going to have fun. I suggest you start with chicken parts because they're quick and inexpensive.

If I had 12 to 14 inch diameter logs I would probably split them into about 8 pieces. I find that smaller splits catch up quickly and burn cleaner. May have to add wood more often but I like tending my smoker anyway. That to me is part of the deal with a stick burner.

I set mine up in a rotation for longer cooks. Pile of splits by the fire box, 2 or 3 logs on top of fire box ready to go in, 1 split inside firebox at front ready to be rolled into the fire. As a split goes into the fire all others move up and continue staging as I go.

Weedeater
I meant 12-14 inch lengths. I'm looking forward to putzing with the fire. I still have three other verticals I can use if I'm busy. It'll be nice to do a brisket or rack of ribs without cutting in half.

I meant 12-14 inch lengths. I'm looking forward to putzing with the fire. I still have three other verticals I can use if I'm busy. It'll be nice to do a brisket or rack of ribs without cutting in half.
Wood, Six pack and a pack of chicken thighs and practice fire management.
Start out with short smokes until you master learning your smoker.
Then go for the longer smokes.

That may be a winner!

You may find a 30 pack is a better deal. Then store away the extra 4- 6 packs.
You will be cooking again... ;)
And a 30 gives you 5 barbies in one box. LOL!:)
Basic Bar-B-Quenomonics.
(That's not a word. I just made it up.) :oops:

I saw where a market near me has 30's up for sale for Memorial Day at <$16.
I am temped!

Reactions: kawboy
If your offset it like mine you will also have the option of running it as a big honking grill.

It is also possible to have your smoking fire in the cooking chamber along with the food, for higher temperature smokes. Have the fire over by the firebox end and the food at the exhaust end. Then it's similar to indirect cooking in a Weber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky