New thermo yesterday- I love it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokyokie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Tulsa
I bought a wireless remote thermometer yesterday that really impresses me. I have owned a few, but this one is just a cut above, so I thought i'd share it with you.
It is an Oregon Scientific model AW131. Price, as I remember, $35.00. Things that impress me: 1) the range is realistically in excess of 100 yards- not feet-yards. :shock:
2) the probe cable is about 4 feet long ( great for reaching inside a good sized smoke, and it's about twice as thick as any other I've ever seen
3) It talks! and in a few different languages.
4) It's accurate to within +/- 1*.
5) It seems to be really well made. It seems more like a lab instrument than a cooking thermometer.
I found it @ Lowe's, but I would imagine that you can find them on line as well.
Tim

EEEkkk
eek.gif
I'm heading to Lowes at lunch, I'll have to check it out. Guess I should leave the money home or I'll get one...
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

Sounds like a neat piece or gear. I've seen Oregon Scientific gear at different places. Looks to be quality stuff. Range is definitely impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Ohhhh, yeah, yes by goodness it is! Thanks for reminding me.

Wife: Where'd you get that?
Me: What?
Wife: That thing-a-ma-giggiie
Me: Oh you mean this?
Wife: Yes, what is it.
Me: Oh it's an old thermometer
Wife: Oh, where did you get it?
Me: Lowes
Wife: When?
Me: Hmm goodness, I've had it so long I really don't remember.
Wife: Then why is the packaging in the trash?
Me: I just never used it
Wife: Jiimmm..
Me:SmokyOky made me do it!

icon_mrgreen.gif

Hey Tim, I saw a whole display of them at Lowes a couple weeks ago and thought about getting one, but passed. Thanks for the heads up!

I eyeballed them, Jane slapped my hand. May pick up a couple anyway.
Smoking meat is a lot like bass fishing - you can NEVER have too much stuff.
I have a Brookstone Grill Alert Talking Thermometer. Range is 300 ft. $75.
Christmas present from Jane's sister 3 years ago. Works great, I like it.

Now thats funny, that's why I keep my stuff in the shop about 75' from
the house and take care of my own garbage from there.
Oh Yeah, I'm going by Lowe's in the morning to check them out and for
anybody that qualifies they are giving a 10% Military discount through July 4th

The method I was taught was to walk in forcefully, slap it down on the table, state even more forcefully "I never thought I'd find one of these for under $100, and they had them on sale for only$35,", then turn, walk away and don't look back...whatever you do don't look back!

Actually, the way it worked this time was that I hid it under the $150 worth of bathroom vanity lights that she had picked out.

Tim

BTW, do I get any rep power for the hook up?

Wanted to take a moment to say thank you for your service! My family and I appriciate it. Jim
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
DITTOS from the Okies!

Glad to be of service. Now don't forget the those rep power points fellas.
icon_smile.gif

I bought the Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer from amazon. It has two probes, one for meat and one for the chamber. It works fine. Both readings are accurate (matches my other thermometers so at least consistent) The range is not as good as i would have hoped but in thru my house walls I am glad it even works. My cell phone does not and my wireless router barely does. old thick plaster walls. When it does stop receiving it does not let you know. Just reads the last number. It would be nice if it would blank out or beep when it loses reception. Also you have to turn them both off and on to reconnect them and one switch is behind the battery door. All minor but a pain
But after all that complaining it does work well.

... LOL those all important rep power points. For an Okie Report of that quality with a description of how to get by with spending the money... yeah that's worth a spot... look for it in your User CP

Keep Smokin

Edit: Apparently I have to spread some reputation around before giving it to SmokyOky again... silly cyber rules anyway.. I tried - AGAIN

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky