New Platform - What do you think?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What do you think about the new platform?

• It's ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love it

• I don't like it at all

• I'm not sure yet.. I'll let you know later

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like it. Host a few firms for clients and usually use phpBB, but someone needed to make a more modern alternative to that and vb. Huddler seems pretty cool and I'll be keeping an eye on the transition here to see if I'll be recommending it.

If you don't mind me asking, who is providing the advertising? I ask because the targeting is spot on. The display ads are all targeting my interest perfectly.

My only comment isn't even related to huddler; is there any way to access the chat without flash? I'd love to be able to leave the laptop inside and chat from my iPad on the porch.

icon_wink.gif
 Jeff, Pineywoods and Mike,

Thanks for filling me in on why the smiley things is not working for me.  I'll hang on with the IE7 for now and hope it get addressed.

This is my first post since "the move".   So it seems fitting to post it here.   First of all I want to say that I for one truly appreciate all the effort that has been put forth to update this site.  I liked the other site very much and didn't have a problem with it,  but I am not behind the scenes dealing with the issues.  So if this makes it easier for the moderators and safer for our site then I am all for it.  I  am sure this will grow on me just the same and in a few months I won't remember the way thing used to be.

Thanks again.

becoming less of a fan of the new setup with each day:

1) weird layout

2) slow

3) makes my antivirus act up

4) new picture downloading method

I was going to download some pics this am, but I dont have the time to figure out the new setup. 
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

really disappointed.

Jeff,  I have spinning around the new website now and have a few things that I have notice.  First the site seems less personal now with the signature pics gone.  Sig pics give people a chance to show a little personality with their thread,  IMO,  but I understand that it does require more bandwidth.   If that was the issue then I can understand,  even if I don't really like it. 

Another thing I would like to see is that the background has at least a little color.  Maybe a light grey or something just to give a little contrast from the forums area.  The sight just feels washed out. 

Just my two cents.

Thanks for reading.

I was discussing our above post with my wife,  and she can design and use color much better than me.  She suggested a light tan or beige to compliment the wood grain at the top and add a little warmth to the website.   

becoming less of a fan of the new setup with each day:

1) weird layout

2) slow

3) makes my antivirus act up

4) new picture downloading method

I was going to download some pics this am, but I dont have the time to figure out the new setup. 
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

really disappointed.
We have a Wiki that may take some of the frustration out of uploading pics, here is the link http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/how-to-upload-images-to-the-new-smf-format

It should be helpful to you.

I understand being able to turn off the ads by becoming a premier member.  Is this the only option on being able to view full pics.

When I view a thread and the pics are too large for the box it is in i have to scroll across the bottom to see the full pic. but if there are several pics the scroll across the bottom is not available until you get to the end.  So i can"t scroll across to see the full pic until I get to the last pic.

Does that even make sense what I am saying?

I understand being able to turn off the ads by becoming a premier member.  Is this the only option on being able to view full pics.

When I view a thread and the pics are too large for the box it is in i have to scroll across the bottom to see the full pic. but if there are several pics the scroll across the bottom is not available until you get to the end.  So i can"t scroll across to see the full pic until I get to the last pic.

Does that even make sense what I am saying?
Can you give us an example of that type of thread?

That's odd..It's fine on this end and the site auto sizes the pics before they post...Maybe one of the mods casn figure it out.sorry

What is your monitor resolution set at? If its really big then you might have to scroll to see the whole picture.

OK, I'm slowly moving my opinion. The other day I voted "I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know".

Right now I would say I'm in between "It's OK" and "I love it", but closer to "It's Ok". I imagine I'll slowly move toward "I love it".

Maybe there should have been a "I LIKE IT" option???

Hey, I'm a 61 year old Grunt. These kinds of things come slowly to me!

Bearcarver

OK, I'm slowly moving my opinion. The other day I voted "I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know".

Right now I would say I'm in between "It's OK" and "I love it", but closer to "It's Ok". I imagine I'll slowly move toward "I love it".

Maybe there should have been a "I LIKE IT" option???

Hey, I'm a 61 year old Grunt. These kinds of things come slowly to me!

Bearcarver
I'm a 65 year old grunt, some things come so fast to me, it's in a blink of the eye. You'll get comfortable here, jusy give it some time. it's all good my friend.

My res is at 1400 x 1050 with a 22" monitor.

Looking at the example that MrsB posted I see it the proper way.

MrsB I know exactly what you are talking about, it happens to me alot over on the Hobart welding site. Its very fustrating to have to scroll down just to move over and then scroll back up to look. Since we have been over here I cant say that I have had that problem at all.

BTW Its nice to see another smoker close, I'm in Independence.

Another feature that would be nice would be an option in the CP to turn off all the snazzy scrolling.  If my post is at the top of the page followed by many replies and I click edit... instead of jumping down to the bottom instantly and letting me edit it and being done with it we have to sit thru the javascript(?) slowly scrolling down the page to the reply box.... then once the post is edited and you click submit you have to sit and wait again for it to slowly scroll all the way back to the top.

The ads don't bother me, every day I click on at least one of them since I am not a premier member.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky