New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm seasoning my 2.5 now. Should there be a big temp difference between the meat probe and stove temp ? Like 20 degrees ? The probe is stored in it holder on the side.
Sorry for the rookie questions.
I wouldn't trust either one of them, because it isn't easy to test them for accuracy like it is with a Maverick, or with other similar digital wireless therms.

Bear

Thank you ! I moved it and now it's close.
Another question , my neighbor has a whole filet mignon that he wants me to cook.
I'd rather do something else , expensive meat to screw up. How would you guys cook it ? Slice it sear it then smoke ? Whole ? I have no idea.

Thank you ! I moved it and now it's close.
Another question , my neighbor has a whole filet mignon that he wants me to cook.
I'd rather do something else , expensive meat to screw up. How would you guys cook it ? Slice it sear it then smoke ? Whole ? I have no idea.
Personally I would do that just like I do my Prime Rib Roasts.

Here's a Good one---Easy to follow:

Thanks Bear that looks great.
If everyone doesn't use the waterpan , why not just remove it ? Also for elevating the amnps , can I just get 2" stainless and nuts and bolts put them through the amnps to raise It ?

If everyone doesn't use the waterpan , why not just remove it ? Also for elevating the amnps , can I just get 2" stainless and nuts and bolts put them through the amnps to raise It ?
I believe the water pan is also used a heat sink. There are guys who have removed it but I think the water pan is integral to how the heat is disbursed within the MES. I think it was Bear or another knowledgeable person who advised I keep mine inside the smoker. I just foil over the empty water pan before I smoke.

I believe the water pan is also used a heat sink. There are guys who have removed it but I think the water pan is integral to how the heat is disbursed within the MES. I think it was Bear or another knowledgeable person who advised I keep mine inside the smoker. I just foil over the empty water pan before I smoke.
yeahthat.gif

The Water Pan keeps the direct heat of the heating element from making the lower racks much hotter than the upper ones.

I keep my water pan in place & empty, yet I still don't use the bottom (#4) rack, because it gets too hot. Imagine how much hotter the #4, and even #3 racks would get without the Water Pan in place. 

This is my theory, anyway.

And Yes Mori---Bolts would work too, as long as you don't block too many perforations in the AMNPS floor or walls.

Bear

Last edited:

yeahthat.gif

The Water Pan keeps the direct heat of the heating element from making the lower racks much hotter than the upper ones.

I keep my water pan in place & empty, yet I still don't use the bottom (#4) rack, because it gets too hot. Imagine how much hotter the #4, and even #3 racks would get without the Water Pan in place. 

And Yes Mori---Bolts would work too, as long as you don't block too many perforations in the AMNPS floor or walls.

Bear
You are right. That's what I meant when I wrote the water pan was important for heat disbursal but you described it more clearly.

Guys it looks like the Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker, 40-Inch is now at Amazon for $468.  Very overpriced IMO.
It's been at that price for 5-6 weeks or more. Started out around the first part of May or a wee bit before towards last of April at $367 with being available the end of June. Then one or two weeks into May, they raised the price to $468 and still end of June availability.

For the guys with the Cabelas models that came with the sausage hanger.  I dont have the instructions with me.  Where do you hang it?  How does it work?  Anyone have pics?  TY.

:yeahthat:

Bear

Well, now I am confused. I have been smoking with my water pan removed and placing the AMNPS on top of a wire basket which is on the floor. With the water pan in place on the bottom shelf I could not do that. And if I moved the pan up wouldn't that block the smoke ventilation? I was unaware that the pan was needed for proper heat distribution.. (I have the 6 shelf Bass Pro model).
Dennis

Well, now I am confused. I have been smoking with my water pan removed and placing the AMNPS on top of a wire basket which is on the floor. With the water pan in place on the bottom shelf I could not do that. And if I moved the pan up wouldn't that block the smoke ventilation? I was unaware that the pan was needed for proper heat distribution.. (I have the 6 shelf Bass Pro model).
Dennis
I'd have to see the whole inside of a 2.5 again, but I was talking about the Gen #1.

However I would think the water pan should be in it's place in the 2.5 too, to keep the direct heat from hitting so hard on the bottom racks.

I think my book even said not to use the smoker without the water pan in place in the Gen #1.

Don't you have room on the bottom left with the pan in place?

How about setting the AMNPS on the left end of the water pan?

Bear

I'd have to see the whole inside of a 2.5 again, but I was talking about the Gen #1.

However I would think the water pan should be in it's place in the 2.5 too, to keep the direct heat from hitting so hard on the bottom racks.

I think my book even said not to use the smoker without the water pan in place in the Gen #1.

Don't you have room on the bottom left with the pan in place?

How about setting the AMNPS on the left end of the water pan?

Bear

I just reread the owner's manual and couldn't find any warning not to use WITHOUT the water pan, or any reference indicating that it helpes to distribute the heat. I do know that the lower racks are obviously hotter than the top racks. It would be interesting if Masterbuilt could comment on that...but then again they assume we all use the chip loader and not smoke pellets.
Here are some pictures I just took. This is where the water pan is designed to sit on top of the burner assembly. It would work on top of the water pan also, I tried that once. I doubt AMNPS would work from under the pan - inadequate ventilation.
Dennis

The AMPS works with the pan in. That's how I have it setup. I have it sitting on the Masterbuilt sausage hanger maybe 1.5 inches off the ground. Works fine. I've had issues with the AMPS staying lit in the beginning but once it starts, no probs at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky