New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sams is probably the best bang for your buck unless you dont want a window.
Do you not want a window or just don't want to pay extra for one? I (and a lot of people on here) really like the window so we can see how things are progressing without opening the door. And it is really easy to keep clean contrary to what a lot of people say.

Do you not want a window or just don't want to pay extra for one? I (and a lot of people on here) really like the window so we can see how things are progressing without opening the door. And it is really easy to keep clean contrary to what a lot of people say.
I'm shying away from the window because from what I've read, 1) its a pain to clean & 2) it's unnecessary heat loss, 3) costs more.  Pro would be 1) can see how much smoke is inside.  I would really like to get a no window Gen 2.5 but as of now, it doesnt appear there are any being produced in 2015 (from what the CSRs are saying).

Is the Sam's club one stainless steel?  Does the stand have wheels on it?  Can someone please post the SKU or item number from their receipt?  Thanks.

It is super easy to clean. All I do is take a wet paper towel and wipe it off while it is hot. Comes clean every time. No detergent or scrubbing.

looks like there are two choices for the GEN 2.5 MES 40

Sams $329

4 racks

legs

glass

cabelas branded version

black front, no stainless, no window

no legs

6 racks
Plus Bass Pro:

6 Racks

No legs

Glass SS door.

$429

Bearcarver - your comment got me to thinking about the chamber temperature and how much it could vary, so today I decided to put it to the test. I used an iGrill2 with the ambient temperature probe. I did the ice water, boiling water test and hit 32 degrees and 209/210 degrees (210.532 is boiling point in my location). The water pan was empty and covered with foil and vent was open all the way. I set my temperature on the smoker to 235 degrees and put the iGrill2 ambient probe on the second shelf back middle for the tip was about a 1/4 inch from the smoker chamber thermometer tip. They both hit 235 degrees within a second of each other. Now on to the test, I took 27 measurements on the bottom, middle and top racks (9 on each rack). For each reading I would put the probe in a location and make sure the smoker temp dropped below 220 degrees. As soon as the smoker hit 235 degrees I would document the iGrill2 temp and move on. I'm not sure what to think of all these numbers but here they are.

I color coded them as follows; Green = within 5 degrees of 235, Blue = more than 5 degrees lower that 235, Yellow = 241 to 255, Orange = 256 - 275 and Red = greater than 275.

Wow this is great intel.  Thanks for taking the time to pull it together.  Has anyone else confirmed this?  I mean a diffs of 85F on the bottom rack seems excessive.

What conclusions can be drawn Re: meat placement?

Wow this is great intel.  Thanks for taking the time to pull it together.  Has anyone else confirmed this?  I mean a diffs of 85F on the bottom rack seems excessive.

What conclusions can be drawn Re: meat placement?
No MES smoker can confirm another one. They are all different from each other & they vary throughout the smoking session.

All you do is keep an eye on your own smoker & make adjustments if & when needed.

Bear

I think they either have the legs or have the two wheels in the back so you can tip it and roll it. I don't know of any MES units that have both right out of the box although plenty of people have modified their units to add them.

Also, the Bass Pro model has as much SS as they will have. The sides and top on the outside will not be stainless on any models that I have seen.

Did yours come with a stand in the box?  How much did you pay?  I spoke to Masterbuilt again.  The CSR said there will be no 40" without a window or bluetooth.  Completely conflicts with what another CSR said......  I'm ready to pull the trigger but dont need the window or the bluetooth stuff.  Conflicted.
I've worked in a few call centers and it's commonplace to get a CSR (or more) who knows what they're talking about and one (or more) who don't. I used to get frustrated when I'd take a call from a customer who just talked to a colleague who was a moron. Some lazy CSRs will wing it with what they think is true if they don't have any firsthand knowledge.

I would bet that the profit margin is much bigger on the Bluetooth/Window 40" models and it's cheaper to just offer these loaded machines instead of climbing the ladder at different price points like they do with the MES 30. So, without any firsthand knowledge on my part I'm guessing MB is going exclusively with the "top of the line" B/W models with some having the remote and meat probe and 6 racks and some not.

Can the guys with the Sam's Club smokers please let me know if they are stainless, come with a cover, or have wheels?  I want to update the chart.  Thanks.

To Mummel:

All MES smokers have back wheels.  They work by leaning the smoker back, and, like a hand-truck, the wheels take over so you can roll it around.

SAM's club model: 40

Bluetooth

Wheels

Legs

Stainless front, with glass window  (magnets stick, so not true stainless, but it is polished steel)

4 racks

insides seems to be aluminum  or perhaps steel 

black steel on sides

galvanized steel back

1200 watts

no cover

Last edited:

To Mummel:

All MES smokers have back wheels.  They work by leaning the smoker back, and, like a hand-truck, the wheels take over so you can roll it around.

SAM's club model: 40

Bluetooth

Wheels

Legs

Stainless front, with glass window  (magnets stick, so not true stainless, but it is polished steel)

4 racks

insides seems to be aluminum  or perhaps steel 

black steel on sides

galvanized steel back

1200 watts

no cover
Great thanks.  Didnt the previous aluminum models have serious rust issues?

I have read through a lot of MES threads and I don't recall seeing issues with the body rusting. Aluminum is very rust resistant (not quite as much as stainless). Just FYI, everything will rust including stainless under the right circumstances.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky