**New Member = First Reverse Flow Smoker Build from 60 Gallon Compressor Tank**

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by mad dart, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lendecatural

lendecatural Smoking Fanatic

Gotcha, I can't read a newspaper without glasses, thought I was seeing things. As usual, you have it covered! [​IMG]

2. I'm planning on using the top of ours as a stovetop of sorts our fb is 5/16 steel once I get a better phone I can post pics or you can Facebook me chashudson

3. smokejumper

smokejumper Smoking Fanatic

Looking really good.
    Like the upper air intake slider.
    And the mix of square lowers and round upper.

4. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Got a little more done. There is a lot more work in building one of these than I first thought. 

I did mess up a little on my Pre Cut FB. I had to scab in a couple pieces of metal to fill in a couple gaps. When working with Metal like this after it is finished nobody will know but me. All corners will be ground round and sanded smooth. 

Little bits here and there and it will soon be finished. I am getting HUNGRY! Lol

5. smokejumper

And everybody on smokingmeatforums!

First rule of Fight Club smoker mistakes is you don't talk about smoker mistakes.

Yeah, we've all done it. And you are right, everything in metal working is fixable.

dannyp likes this.
  6. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Lol! 

7. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

No progress lately. I did pick up a new Mig Bottle. The brand new one I picked up had a stuck valve.... Swapped it out.

I also picked up the rest of the material to build the FB door and to finish off the lower vent slide etc. 

This weekend at some point I should be able to put a couple hours into working on it.

8. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Work is still booming. No updates. I have ideas on what I will be doing to finish it but thats it for now! Lol

9. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Finally got to put 4 hours into the smoker this morning!

I got it all welded off and the areas for the vents ground down and sanded a bit. Was a lot of welding. Whewww. Double wall makes double work. 

What's left is the FB Door, Lower Vent Slide & Fire Grate. When that is all done I will mate the FB & CC together and they shall become 1................ Lol

10. lendecatural

lendecatural Smoking Fanatic

Looking great, those fireboxes get heavy in a hurry, be careful of your toes during the next step!

11. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Thanks!

Yeah, I will pick it up with a chain and my cherry picker then set it on wood blocks at the height I am aiming for. After that I can set the CC on the FB using 

the cherry picker as well. The CC is a pretty darn awkward piece to handle all by my lonesome..... 

12. smokejumper

I have a feeling you will persevere.

13. jcbigler

jcbigler Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks like you are going to have a very nice smoker very soon. 

Quick question, how much difference does having an insulated fire box make when the rest of the smoker is not insulated? Or is it more for handling safety?

14. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

From what I have read the only reason for a double wall insulated Fire Box is that wood consumption is drastically reduced "Less fuel used over the cook period".

Some of the Veterans here can probably elaborate more on the subject since this is my first ever Smoker build. I have never even owned one before. 

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  15. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Spent 1 hour on the smoker after dinner. I was supposed to just brain storm and I ended up on the saw and got what you see done here.

The FB door opening is starting to take shape. The lower section is for the slide out Ash Tray. I also got the fire grate pre cut and ready to weld together.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  16. smokejumper

Nicely done.

17. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]

Hey MD, how about fillin out yer location in yer profile.... 

Joe

18. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Hey Joe,

I never knew it was missing. Fixed!

Louis~

19. Looking nice   !!!

Gary

20. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

I was thinking a bit this morning about a grate shaker. An Idea popped up in my head to try and incorporate one into the ash tray pan.

It should work out well when it is all done.