**New Member = First Reverse Flow Smoker Build from 60 Gallon Compressor Tank**

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gotcha, I can't read a newspaper without glasses, thought I was seeing things. As usual, you have it covered! 
icon14.gif

Got a little more done. There is a lot more work in building one of these than I first thought. 

I did mess up a little on my Pre Cut FB. I had to scab in a couple pieces of metal to fill in a couple gaps. When working with Metal like this after it is finished nobody will know but me. All corners will be ground round and sanded smooth. 

Little bits here and there and it will soon be finished. I am getting HUNGRY! Lol

Originally Posted by Mad Dart  

I did mess up a little on my Pre Cut FB. I had to scab in a couple pieces of metal to fill in a couple gaps. When working with Metal like this after it is finished nobody will know but me.......
And everybody on smokingmeatforums!

First rule of Fight Club smoker mistakes is you don't talk about smoker mistakes.

Yeah, we've all done it. And you are right, everything in metal working is fixable.

Reactions: dannyp
No progress lately. I did pick up a new Mig Bottle. The brand new one I picked up had a stuck valve.... Swapped it out.

I also picked up the rest of the material to build the FB door and to finish off the lower vent slide etc. 

This weekend at some point I should be able to put a couple hours into working on it.

Work is still booming. No updates. I have ideas on what I will be doing to finish it but thats it for now! Lol

Finally got to put 4 hours into the smoker this morning!

I got it all welded off and the areas for the vents ground down and sanded a bit. Was a lot of welding. Whewww. Double wall makes double work. 

What's left is the FB Door, Lower Vent Slide & Fire Grate. When that is all done I will mate the FB & CC together and they shall become 1................ Lol

Looking great, those fireboxes get heavy in a hurry, be careful of your toes during the next step!
Thanks!

Yeah, I will pick it up with a chain and my cherry picker then set it on wood blocks at the height I am aiming for. After that I can set the CC on the FB using 

the cherry picker as well. The CC is a pretty darn awkward piece to handle all by my lonesome..... 

Looks like you are going to have a very nice smoker very soon. 

Quick question, how much difference does having an insulated fire box make when the rest of the smoker is not insulated? Or is it more for handling safety?

Looks like you are going to have a very nice smoker very soon. 

Quick question, how much difference does having an insulated fire box make when the rest of the smoker is not insulated? Or is it more for handling safety?
From what I have read the only reason for a double wall insulated Fire Box is that wood consumption is drastically reduced "Less fuel used over the cook period".

Some of the Veterans here can probably elaborate more on the subject since this is my first ever Smoker build. I have never even owned one before. 

Last edited:
Last edited:
yeahthat.gif

Hey MD, how about fillin out yer location in yer profile.... 

Joe

I was thinking a bit this morning about a grate shaker. An Idea popped up in my head to try and incorporate one into the ash tray pan.

It should work out well when it is all done.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky