**New Member = First Reverse Flow Smoker Build from 60 Gallon Compressor Tank**

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by mad dart, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Nice     Looks Good

Gary

2. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Toggle clamps came today.... Man they sure are Puny suckers. Going to put them in the parts bin. They just don't look right compared to the size of the smoker. I ordered the next biggest size.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

What size expanded metal did you use? Went to pick up some of the supplies I need. Shop I am getting everything from ordered me  "flattened" expanded metal...it was less sharp....if that makes any sense....

4. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

I am using #9 - 3/4"

If you are getting it flattened, I would get thicker material. The non flattened material will stay straighter even when it heats up compared to the flat stuff. If not you may see bow's in the material quickly unless you use a stiffener under the grate up against that material to keep it straight and flat.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  5. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looking good MD...................[​IMG]

6. bgingras

bgingras Fire Starter

I got mine from harbor freight tools for $6 ea. they are big and heavy. See picture. I bolted them on with 4 1/4" stainless bolts each, instead of welding in case they ever do need to be replaced. I also changed out the pin that holds the lid down and used carriage bolts instead of the robber bumpers that came with them.

7. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Looks good! How did you seal your CC Door? How about your FB?

8. bgingras

bgingras Fire Starter

Lavalock Grill gasket is what I'm trying for the CC. I did not gasket the FB as of now. I'm going to see how it runs first.

9. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Been busy at work. I have not touched the smoker. I will finish it but I don't know exactly when. $$ is too good working right now to stop!

10. lendecatural

lendecatural Smoking Fanatic

That's why they say "you have to make hay while the sun is shining" You will have time and money soon enough.

11. smokejumper

smokejumper Smoking Fanatic

Hey, I am right there with you in putting the "slow" in low and slow.

All in good time.

12. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

I took today partly off and got a little bit done on the FB. Later today I am going to go get a 3.5" Hole Saw for the upper vent on the FB. 

I will slice off the insulation and slide it into the cavity's before I cap it all off.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  13. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]   Smokers looking good MD.....Insulated firebox... Be an extra place to sit on while smoking...lol

14. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Had a few minutes to mess around with the smoker tonight. I made the upper air inlet cover. Used a 4" whole saw and added a couple things to it so it will bolt to the 

FB. Will post pictures later... I did not take any. Lol

15. smokejumper

smokejumper Smoking Fanatic

Coming along nicely.

16. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Little more progress...........

17. lendecatural

Very nice, now that pretty clean garage is looking like a shop!

18. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

Sitting here chicken scratching some ideas around for the FB lower vent slider, FB Door & Ash Pan. 

Tomorrow in the morning I am going to try to get a little more done. 

19. lendecatural

Hmmm, is the space between the lower cutouts narrower than the width of the cutouts themselves? Could cause a problem......

20. mad dart

mad dart Smoke Blower

It won't be when I am done. They are not finished just yet....... The material when I box those in will take care of what you are seeing. I tripped out on it as well. 

So the material will come out and be flush with the face of the FB openings and will shrink up those openings about 1/2 of an inch all the way around. Then I will sand down the welds smooth so the the vent slides nice. 

Last edited: May 16, 2015