**New Member = First Reverse Flow Smoker Build from 60 Gallon Compressor Tank**

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is what we use :

[h1]Roxul Acoustical Fire Batts, Mineral Wool, 2-inch (6PK)[/h1]

roxul-afb-rigid.jpg

Point to an image below to see a larger version.

roxul-afb.jpg

roxul-afb-rigid.jpg

• Price and Order
  • Item Description

Price: $36.00

Let me start by apologizing for the hi-jack but I have had an absolutely shi**y day. Went to the "local" HD to see if they could get me this particular insulation. Woman behind the desk called the supplier...does the customer have a commercial account? No....sorry, can't sell it to him...it is for commercial sales only...

Let me start by apologizing for the hi-jack but I have had an absolutely shi**y day. Went to the "local" HD to see if they could get me this particular insulation. Woman behind the desk called the supplier...does the customer have a commercial account? No....sorry, can't sell it to him...it is for commercial sales only...
That is funny...... If you go to Roxul's website, that insulation is not even one of their products listed. 

Little more progress. I made up the cook racks. Now that I am looking at the pictures I forgot to add the stops on the rack rails so they don't fall off to the ground..... Lol,  I still need to get over to the local metal yard and pick up the rest of the grate material.

Next up is the door stops and then cut out the FB opening in the CC. 

My good friend owns a Sandblasting company. I will drop off the CC at his yard this week to get the inside and outside blasted. 

Last edited:
That is funny...... If you go to Roxul's website, that insulation is not even one of their products listed. 
Found a local shop that sells some sort of rock wool insulation, 1.5" thick rated at 2k or so *.

Found a local shop that sells some sort of rock wool insulation, 1.5" thick rated at 2k or so *.
That is what mine is Rock Wool. 3.5" thick though. Rated to over 2100*... On Roxuls site they brag that Rock don't burn........ I thought that is what Lava was, Molten Rock! haaaa

That is what mine is Rock Wool. 3.5" thick though. Rated to over 2100*... On Roxuls site they brag that Rock don't burn........ I thought that is what Lava was, Molten Rock! haaaa
Local Home Depot has what you purchased, just like to keep the outer skin of the box thin...no particular reason...sorta like someone I know about colors.....lol...

You get it back to where it needs to be ?

Gary

Door is now fixed. I pulled in on the door with the clamps then heated up the seal and door just enough to make it not glow red on the ends only and about 6" in from the ends on the door steel. I then used a wet rag and cooled the door off from the inside quickly. It should seal up real nice now. I will also use High Temp RTV that was discussed earlier on final assembly.

Last edited:
I went and swapped out my Mig gas bottle and got more wire. Both were just about gone.

I ended up stopping off at the metal scrap yard and picked up a 1/2 sheet of expanded metal #9 for $25.00. This will be more than enough material to get the cook rack's finished.

They have some projects down there now using that material so I will go see in a few days if they have another cut off for the lower wood shelf. It will be built in between the FB and legs directly under the CC.

Tonight I will try to put a couple hours in. I have the door stop, CD handle and need to put the expanded metal on the cook racks. After that cut in the FB opening in the CC. 

Last edited:
Louis, might have mentioned this but I did not see it....perhaps I breezed thru your thread too quickly. You mentioned using heat to help with the CC door....o/a or just a little Propane (MAPP?) gas type of gig?

Louis, might have mentioned this but I did not see it....perhaps I breezed thru your thread too quickly. You mentioned using heat to help with the CC door....o/a or just a little Propane (MAPP?) gas type of gig?
I just used a propane torch. My weed burner just arrived today. If it was here earlier I would have used that instead. 

My door was not off by much at all. I will be using Pull Latch style clamps on the CC Door & FB Door. It should seal xlnt when it is all said and done.

I will mount them up and down but I don't know just yet if the handle part will be on the door or on the CC. I want the option to add a platform table in front of the CC. 

Probably will figure all of that out once the parts get here. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky