New iGrill mini

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I looked at the Igrill Mini 2 on the website just not a fan of that design would rather they use the original Igrill unit with four probes. I think the mini and mini2 are a stumble for Igrill I can't imagine how you interface with that tiny cube.
I like the Mini the use of the app is the interface.  Now that they have the four prob design I think it would work very well.  Also the four prob unit has a temp display unlike the mini.

I ordered the iGrill mini as a Christmas gift for my husband, who loves to grill and smoke meats both indoors and out.  Out of the package, it felt a little cheap in hand - it was light and seems to be made of lightweight plastic.  It also took some time setting up the sync between his iPhone and the app, which was a little irritating.  Additionally, the battery was all but dead.  But the worst of all is that the range is NOWHERE near the 150 feet it boasts. We couldn't get more than about 10-15 feet away from the unit without it losing its signal and disconnecting.  We tried everything we could think of, including heading out in the midst of the Chicago Polar Vortex to buy new batteries for the device.  Even after installing a brand-new battery, the device only showed 60% battery power.  Once we had exhausted every 'fix' we could think of, including spending hours looking online for help, etc., I decided to call iDevices and ask them for some assistance.  Basically, I was told that they are aware of the battery issues and that part of the problem will be addressed in a future update.  However, when I told the representative that we were having trouble with maintaining our signal at even short distances, I got what amounted to a big run-around and a bunch of nonsense excuses.  I was told that any interference in the 'line of sight' between the device and the iPhone/iPad would cause a disruption - - INCLUDING oven doors, walls, cabinetry and even a human body.  I was told that it is the nature of Bluetooth technology to lose connectivity regularly.  (This, despite owning several other bluetooth devices that never seem to have this issue.) We were offered no help, no refund, nothing.  Consequently, it seems like our iGrill mini will be solely used as an in-kitchen meat thermometer and not as a remote monitor as it is described as being.

That stinks, I was about to purchase one of these and for some reason just did not get around to it. Sounds as if there is a lot of work left to make these functional. Again sorry for your troubles with the device, but I may suggest picking up a Maverik ET-732! Just a suggestion as I tried different brands of probes/transmitters and was about to give up on them and then seen some good reviews on this particular Maverik and have been very pleased with it. Done some Boston butts and they turned out perfect. Hope maybe this helps as I have been frustrated with other units as well. Let me know if I can help with anymore info. Keep Smokin, WHB

Reactions: bluegoose1972
Hi, found this thread by doing a Google search on the iGrill mini. I purchased one on a whim while shopping at Lowes this morning. I've got some beef ribs on the grill and I'm tracking the temperature over several hours. Setup was really easy after I downloaded the app. I placed the rubber sleeve part of the probe on the lip of the grill and put the lid down on it. Temp on the app says 260° while the Weber lid gauge says 270°. I've also got an internal gauge sitting on the grates that's around 255-260° so it looks like it's pretty accurate (usually hotter at the top of the lid anyway). It's only the first day trying it so I'll have to take more time to give it a proper review, but everything seems to be working fine. The shaded area of our patio is about 30-40 feet away from the grilling area and connectivity is a-ok. I'd want the base unit to be heat resistant so you could stick it anywhere on the grill's exterior.

I've had the iGrill for a couple years now. While I like it, I wish it could do more. As many of you have mentioned, there is a problem with the connectivity. But what I would love more is a way to network this thing. I'd like to be able to check the temps with my phone when I am miles away. The only thing I can think of doing is training a webcam on it and networking the webcam. Does anyone have any other ideas? This would be a HUGE upgrade, IMO.

I've had the iGrill for a couple years now. While I like it, I wish it could do more. As many of you have mentioned, there is a problem with the connectivity. But what I would love more is a way to network this thing. I'd like to be able to check the temps with my phone when I am miles away. The only thing I can think of doing is training a webcam on it and networking the webcam. Does anyone have any other ideas? This would be a HUGE upgrade, IMO.
There are looking at offering an app that would allow you to do that. From there FB page they asked if anyone would be interested in a one time fee app that would do that. My understanding is that you'd have to have wifi, wherever you leave the transmitter though.

I really like my original iGrill and will purchase the iGrill2  once it's been out for a while and I can see some reviews.

There are looking at offering an app that would allow you to do that. From there FB page they asked if anyone would be interested in a one time fee app that would do that. My understanding is that you'd have to have wifi, wherever you leave the transmitter though.

I really like my original iGrill and will purchase the iGrill2  once it's been out for a while and I can see some reviews.
Thanks for the heads up. I just went over to their FB page and commented on that post. I would absolutely pay a fee for this amenity. Would be tremendous, especially for those long smokes when I need to leave the house for an hour or two. I don't understand the people opposed to it, the ones that say "No, because I never leave my pit." To hell with that! I like being able to walk away from my pit for hours. Those of us who have their smokers dialed in and can hold heat consistently like an oven don't need to sit by their smoker the entire cook.

Feeling your pain . Ours doesn't work either. Bought a new battery - nope, nothing. GOt the run around back at the Apple Store I purchased it from. Now waiting to hear back from idevices. Did you get some satisfactory results?

I have had pretty good luck with the iGrill 1.  I recently sent them a message about probes that are straight so they would fit through my smoker vent.  They got back to me right away stating they only offered the curved probe.  I was able to bend the probe a little bit so it does now fit through the smoker vent.

I have now been through 3 probes on 2 units.  I like the bluetooth iPhone capability but I just ordered a Maverick.

The probes are junk and I am tired of not knowing what my temps are.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky