New Guy MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tillman752

Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Ok my wife got me a MES 40 for fathers day. I seasoned it the next day and did some ribs for the 1st time. They were ok but I know what I did wrong opening the doors a few times and trying to rush it. But besides that I have been reading a lot on here the past week and am getting a little nervous that this one is junk. It is the Gen 2 from what im reading. I will link it below. She got me the one without the stand bc she knew I could build it myself and save some $. My main question is what do I need to do to "fix" it the way it should be? Im just going to be doing ribs, wings and a butt every now and then. Iv been looking around the forum on what to do but there's so many different post on it I just wanted to ask in one place. Thanks for the help in advance.  

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Spor...e-with-Viewing-Window/product/11090613460023/

For starters, never open the door except to add wood.  And that is why many folks get an AMNPS.  Load it, light it, forget it.  So you have a version 2.  That particular model is reported to be problematic according to the posts on this forum.  The model 1 and models later than the 2 are reportedly more reliable. And you have a very thoughtful wife.  A smoker is a great gift. 

Ok I have been smoking a butt today and I have noticed since I have the external thermometer that the temp goes from 217-238 constantly. Is this normal? I have it set on 230

I'm using the pelet tray that was posted earlier and the wood chip holder is removed. I left the chip loader in the side bc I knew it would let all the best out. It's just taking forever. It's been on 5hrs and setting at 153f prob gonna take it another hour to make 160f

Ok I have been smoking a butt today and I have noticed since I have the external thermometer that the temp goes from 217-238 constantly. Is this normal? I have it set on 230
Typical, but its not a deal breaker. They tend to stabilize (less swing) after it has been up to temp for a while. So... you have an external thermometer... Great! Are you talking about a digital remote like a Maverick? That's the first thing to invest in so you can trust what the internal one is ACTUALY doing. If it has a built in meat probe, don't trust it. The second is a pellet tray (AMNPS) and/or mailbox mod.Also, that unit is not stainless steel and doesn't stay non-stick and will rust. Line the bottom tray with foil as well as the slanted one for easy cleanups. Take a look at upgrading the tiny vent on the side. It doesn't allow much airflow.

Yea I am using the pelet tray and it's work 100x better than the tray for sure. Was just wondering about the butt setting at 148-150 for over an hour but I guess it's just stalling. I'm going to pull and wrap it. It's setting at 155

That stall is perfectly normal at about that temperature! Just keep the door closed. Cuz like Aaron Franklin says, "If your lookin' you aint cookin'!"

Otherwise Yes, you can wrap it to speed it along if you want.

Man ol man thanks everyone for all the help. U learn as u go and yes I leaned some things today. The bone pulled right out without a piece of meat on it and my wife said she wasn't going to normal BBQ place we eat at sometimes anymore. It's amazing. Thanks so much for all the help on these forums!!!

I don't think I'm going to do the mailbox mod. My pelts smoked just like they were supposed to the whole time. And u move my smoker around so I don't wanna have to mess with it really

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky