New guy, first smoker, any recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pistachio shells (if you eat the nuts and have the shells saved in a bag afterward) make great chips for fish too, though I sent you a note. Cheers and here's to your delicious adventure! I am excited!!!!! - Leah

Hey I'm looking at the 30" model, and it looks like it may be easier to work with on a stand of some sorts.  I will also probably put the smoker in a flower bed due to space restrictions.

Do you guys put your smokers on stands?  Any ideas?  Something decorative?

Last edited:

Pistachio shells (if you eat the nuts and have the shells saved in a bag afterward) make great chips for fish too, though I sent you a note. Cheers and here's to your delicious adventure! I am excited!!!!! - Leah
You are the one that turned me on to this. I use them when doing jerk chicken now too. Yum. Thanks Leah!

Yeah thanks.  I saw this but I am looking for something off this shelf that can work, that will look half decent.  Another guy had a tiled table top.  Looked fantastic.  I would need something low to the ground.  Dont want the smoker to blow off in a storm.  Some counter space would be nice.  Hopefully I can find something. 

Here's what the new Bluetooth model looks like. http://www.masterbuilt.com/bluetooth-smoker Note that the controller is on top, same position as the Gen 1. The Sportsman Elite edition will run you over $400 which is still a good price for a new electric smoker.

This MES 30 Gen 1 is the one I own and have had great success with. If you're looking for the best smoker under $200 this is it.

The Masterbuilt model 20078715 is a Gen 2 and the prices have really fallen on it making it slightly more expensive than the MES 30 model 20070910. From what I've read, I'd stick with the Gen 1.

This MES (20078715) on Amazon is Gen 2.5 according to another CSR I called this morning.  She confirmed its exactly like the bluetooth model except without the bluetooth & the glass door etc.  She confirmed all the components are replaceable and she said the water tray is stepped/circular, and that the drip tray is at the bottom.

This is the second CSR to confirm this (I called them yesterday as well).  This smoker was released last month.

I'm pretty sure it's Gen 2.5 but I cant find any photos of the interior.  I dont want to be a guinea pig because CSRs are untrained and may be giving me false info.  How sure are you this smoker is Gen 2? 

I'm still hazy on this Gen 2.5 thing. Is Masterbuilt admitting it screwed up the Gen 2 models and is claiming they fixed everything with the Gen 2.5? Are the Bluetooth models that were released in Dec. 2014 designated Gen 3?

They are saying that all these versions are 2.5 with different extras.  Where she lost all credibility was when she said that she had a gen 2 and it worked fine.  Total BS.  Do you know if they have this Amazon version in the 40" size.  I may be leaning towards that now.

Where she lost all credibility was when she said that she had a gen 2 and it worked fine.  Total BS. 
Easy there killer. I have a gen 2 and can crank out great food time after time. I know there are plenty of people using the gen 2 with no problems. Yes the gen 1 had a better designed drip tray and water pan but that doesn't mean the gen 2 is completely obsolete. 

Easy there killer. I have a gen 2 and can crank out great food time after time. I know there are plenty of people using the gen 2 with no problems. Yes the gen 1 had a better designed drip tray and water pan but that doesn't mean the gen 2 is completely obsolete. 
I should have rephrased - she said they they have had no customers contact them regarding Gen 2 and that she has had no problems.  I told her about consumer affairs & SMF and she said they were unaware of any issues.  She was probably just new otherwise that's really deceptive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky