New from Tuscaloosa Alabama!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

faststang71

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Tuscaloosa alabama
The names Justin guys and gals been grilling for bout 5 years now and just got my first smoker. Just used to throwing the chips on my coal now really getting into grilling and smoking. Needing ideas for my new grill it's a offset New Braunfels Hondo classic. Already having issues the main door won't seal good and had to bore out one of the chimney holes my biggest thing is getting this grill to be a good investment.checked out a few mods but anybody got sealing tricks besides aluminium foil ?

Welcome to the site and Roll Tide!!!
My Hearts in Alabama but my feet are planted in Kentucky.
Can't help you with the mods but a lot of people on here can.
Again, welcome!!!

I'm implanted in bama and from VA but worked in Kentucky in Knott County got laid off from the mines moved here to try find work. Got a job just nowhere near what I was making. But yes Roll Tide huge bama fan !

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Would you mind updating your profile to show the other SMF members where you are located?  You just might meet some neighbors!  I am about 3 hours North of you near Huntsville.  AND...just have ta say this....WAR EAGLE!

Jeff offers a free 5-day E-Course and its packed full of great information no matter what your experience level might be! http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Welcome to SMF........
welcome1.gif
..Not really familiar with the New Braunfels Hondo classic unit but many use fire proof gasket material. You can buy that as a replacement for the Big Green Egg and other types of kamado kookers. Sold where the units are sold.  Also, search your unit on this forum for mods if you haven't. If you have pics of the actual unit, you may want to post a few....RTB

Welcome to the forums, Justin!  Glad you joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastime...Smokin' and Grillin' great food!  Lots of friendly and knowledge folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

Many use stove gasket rope to seal leaky doors and seams in their smokers.  Others have used high temp silicone caulk.  You can do a search for either of these and you'll find some how-to threads that others have already posted:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=rope+gasket

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=silicone+caulk

Red

Thanks guys I have plenty of black rtv ha ha I'm going to the store after work to get some wax paper. Also my door is a little bowed so that is one issue I'm going to have to fix unfortunately the hinges are welded which sucks !

Hi Justin! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!
The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

Hey Justin....VA boy myself - was raised in Southern Central VA.  Where you from?

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Ha ha yea well I took that grill back and picked up a charbroil offset smoker model number 820 its basically the same grill besides the legs other than that it's the same. But running into issues with the smoke box on this ! It's driving me insane. But I'm gonna pull few tricks up my sleeve with this grill should have with the other one. I'm gonna try and find some latches and put 2 latches on the chamber door and one on the firebox and use permatex black rtv to make my seal. I have done made a baffle and extended my exhaust tube down to grate level.

Well this is a no go on the charbroil I just can't stand the fact it's messed up so taking it back and going to buy a Old Country BBQ Ranch smoker anybody got any info on them besides weighing over 200lbs ? Lol

Sounds like you are getting a real workout on finding a reliable smoker. I have grilled for years and recently bought my first smoker. I bought a "SMOKIN-IT" smoker which comes in 3 sizes. They are really quality built and reliable. They are less than half the price of cookshack, the top shelf smoker, with the basic same quality. Enclosed are some picts of recent smokes. Good luck.

Jimmy

Yea I'm losing my mind I talked to a guy at academy today I really don't have the extra 100$ for the old country so going back to try and find a good Hondo classic... I want a good durable and reliable offset smoker.

Thanks bud I've been on that forum actually on it now ha ha. I'm really just debating on getting the Hondo again then start working on a design to make a reverse flow offset or something and make one.

Went back to the Hondo classic and the doors were perfect double checked before I left the store its together with my mods and seasoning the grill as we speak

Tried posting a few pics but they won't upload from the phone some reason my thermo is barely climbing its leaking pretty bad but after I get it seasoned ill get me some sealant and wax paper now do I seal both the door and resting spot ? Or just the resting spot I will be using black rtv for I am planning on to not get above 450

Hi faststang71 and welcome!  Don't sweat the small leeks on the Hondo SFB. What will help you most is to construct a charcoal basket to put in the firebox. This will keep the charcoal, and I prefer lump, together so you can use the minion method. This helps with temp control and long smokes.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky