New England Style Hot Dog Buns & How to Use Them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have posted these hot dog buns before, see:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/181573/whole-wheat-bratwurst-buns

Here is a pdf of the recipe for the white version.

However, I have been asked why I like them so much over the regular. I find they have a great shape and are perfect to grill for a bratwurst or hot dog.

I cooked up a batch but I did them with all white flour this time. I also rolled 3 of the small rolls into a fifth hot dog bun for each pan so I only had one small roll left.

When you break them apart they have these nice straight sides.

When you go to cook your hot dog or brat, butter the sides of the buns.

While you are grilling your meat, toss the buns on the grill and toast up both sides.

Cut the bun from the top instead of the sides.

Cutting it from the top makes it way easier to load up with your favourite toppings.

The toasted sides with the soft bun are great. Cutting from the top makes it easy for kids to do their own topping.

Try it!

Disco

Last edited:
That's a thing of beauty Disco! I can only imagine the smell of those fresh out of the oven. I bow to those of you skilled at breadmaking, for it is my nemesis. Points!

Last edited:

I have posted these hot dog buns before, see:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/181573/whole-wheat-bratwurst-buns

However, I have been asked why I like them so much over the regular. I find they have a great shape and are perfect to grill for a bratwurst or hot dog.

I cooked up a batch but I did them with all white flour this time. I also rolled 3 of the small rolls into a fifth hot dog bun for each pan so I only had one small roll left.

When you break them apart they have these nice straight sides.

When you go to cook your hot dog or brat, butter the sides of the buns.

While you are grilling your meat, toss the buns on the grill and toast up both sides.

Cut the bun from the top instead of the sides.

Cutting it from the top makes it way easier to load up with your favourite toppings.

The toasted sides with the soft bun are great. Cutting from the top makes it easy for kids to do their own topping.

Try it!

Disco
Points to you Sir Disco baking is not my thing,I try and fail etc. etc 

So I wave a hand to you

Richie

That's a thing of beauty Disco! I can only imagine the smell of those fresh out of the oven. I bow to those of you skilled at breadmaking, for it is my nemesis. Points!

Points to you Sir Disco baking is not my thing,I try and fail etc. etc 

So I wave a hand to you

Richie
Honest guys. This has to be easy, I do it.

Thanks for the points!

Disco

Looks Awesome, Disco!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Like others, I wish I could bake rolls like that !!

BTW: I like to put Mustard on both inner sides of the roll, so it isn't sticking out on the top of the dog.

Keeps it from being such a mess, especially if Kids are eating them.

Bear

Looks Awesome, Disco!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Like others, I wish I could bake rolls like that !!

BTW: I like to put Mustard on both inner sides of the roll, so it isn't sticking out on the top of the dog.

Keeps it from being such a mess, especially if Kids are eating them.

Bear
Thanks, Bear. Really, really, really, these rolls are ridiculously easy. I humbly accept the point anyway!

I guess that explains why She Who Must Be Obeyed suggests I'm a messy eater!

Disco

Wow Disco. Your rolls look great. I gotta try to make these, no eggs needed.

Geez! Thanks for adding another project to my ever growing list of things to have to do!

I'll get my Sous chef on these this weekend!

Looks great,we have a hot dog place that does that, I think it raises the dogs to another level for sure!

Great job Disco!

Judy has a pan especially made for baking those buns.

They come out square with a rounded top.

It will bake 10 at a time.

Perfect for New England lobster rolls!

Al

Geez! Thanks for adding another project to my ever growing list of things to have to do!

I'll get my Sous chef on these this weekend!
Don't you get snippy with me mister after all the projects you have put on my list!

Actually, these would be a good project for the sous chef!
Looks great,we have a hot dog place that does that, I think it raises the dogs to another level for sure!
Thanks, b-one!

Great job Disco!

Judy has a pan especially made for baking those buns.

They come out square with a rounded top.

It will bake 10 at a time.

Perfect for New England lobster rolls!

Al
Har! I wanted a dedicated pan but my food equipment purchases have been put under embargo by a higher power!

Thanks, Al.

That just may be the best looking brat on a bun I've ever seen!  

You've got very very nice buns my friend.

Point! B

That just may be the best looking brat on a bun I've ever seen!  

You've got very very nice buns my friend.

Point! B
Har! I don't know what it is but as I get older, my buns are getting smaller.

Thanks for the point, Brian.

Disco

Those look great!!!!

And thanks for posting the recipe. One question, did you just swap out the wheat flour for white 1:1 or were there any other changes?   POINTS>>>>
points.gif

Those look great!!!!

And thanks for posting the recipe. One question, did you just swap out the wheat flour for white 1:1 or were there any other changes?   POINTS>>>>
points.gif
Thanks for the point! Yes, I just substituted all purpose flour for the white one to one.

Thanks!!!!

Saved to the recipe PDF files (both version, white & whole wheat). 
You saying your saving the recipe got me looking at it more closely. There is no molasses in the white version.

Here is a link to my blog post which has the recipe for white.

http://oldfatguy.ca/?p=2230

I will send you a pdf of it by PM if it will let me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky