New, but with help from some pros

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cloudmaker

Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Memphis, TN
I have smoked pork shoulder and Boston butt on my Weber Genesis gas grill before, but through the encouragement of two friends who compete professionally on a BBQ team I have finally made the move to a charcoal smoker (Chargriller). My first effort was two racks of baby back ribs and my second was (yeah, I know I'm crazy) EIGHT racks of ribs (hey, we had company and we were hungry ok?). No one died, so I guess I'm on the right track so far. Next step......Chicken so the Mrs can use the pulled meat for enchiladas and some Costa Rican chicken and rice. I look forward to all of the info in the forums! - Cloudmaker

Welcome, and don't forget the QVIEW, we love that here.

Welcome, Cloudmaker! Sounds like you have some really good friends. Speaking of good friends, mind if we camp out in your yard next May?

Welcome!

I know that I have found chicken to be very easy to make in the smoker and yet soooooo good. You can get a good deal on chicken at Costco. I think I made four whole chickens and only had $12 in the meat. Good luck and take care.

Okay, after obtaining approval from the Department of the Interior here's the recipe. We have always used boiled chicken, but I'm drooling to do it with bird from the smoker!
*Add Olive Oil to hot pan
*brown 2 cloves crushed/chopped garlic and 2 cups white rice
*once browned, add twice as much chicken broth as rice used
*add 1 12 oz can diced tomatoes (Rotel if you prefer)
*add 1-2 cups chopped bell peppers
Simmer and cook covered-stirring occasionally.
While cooking rice, pull meat from 1 whole chicken into bite-sized pieces.
*Add Olive Oil to hot pan and brown chicken
When rice is almost done, add chicken and stir. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with Salsa & Hot Sauce.

Now I've got myself drooling! GOT TO smoke some chicken this week!

May? Something happens around here in May? *grins wickedly* Why do you think it has driven me crazy NOT to have a smoker? That is the month here that every pig for several hundred miles is either on a smoker, about to be...or is in hiding.-Cloudmaker

Cloudmaker, you've just joined the best smokin' site on Mother Earth. Looking forward to your next smoke, and Q View too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky