New Build -Trailer mounted reverse flow smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey BBQ, smoker looks great. Looks just like you said it would, like the ice machines. I think I will fashion my next one on your design. Very nice and the smokes look great as well. Sorry I did not comment sooner, but have not been on much the past month. Too busy fishin
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hey Butcher,

I took a bit of time off to work on other things and recharge Mrs. Engineer's fun meter. I also took the time to plan a strategy for a trailer, and I think I have that put together.

Hey Meathunter,

good to see you back. Let me know if I can give you any additional tales of my journey...I definitely learned a lot through this manufacturing cycle. I should have this thing completed soon and will be able to tow it around and smoke all I want...that's when I will really be able to judge the operation.

I decided that I would build a custom trailer for my new smoker, versus buying something and then hacking it up to make it work. I bought a 3500 lb. axle and all the necessary hardware to get this thing on the road.

I started with the frame for the trailer. I used 3', 4', 5' triangles to make sure the corners were at right angles. Next, to make sure the trailer was on the same plane, I ran string from one corner to the opposite corner and then the same thing for the other two opposites. I pulled the string tight as a guitar string, and then shimmed the corners until the string in the center just touched.

I tacked the edges and then welded all around. Next, I welded the channel iron into the A Frame coupler. Then I made sure it was centered on the frame, and that a straight line perpindicular to the front of the trailer at the midpoint of the trailer width intersected the center of the coupler.

This is where I am. I will work on the trailer more this week, and then get the two of them mated up and back in to the shop.

Hi Everyone,

I have been going back and forth on the trailer design, but I finally decided that I wanted this to be able to haul my smaller cabinet smokers and also coolers, tables, etc., etc. when I go to a comp. So with that in mind, I decided to build a deck on the trailer frame, and have the smoker on top with a walkway on one side for me to cook on. At least it worked in my head!

I have been working on the trailer to finish it up, but dang, summer has really set in, and it is friggin' hot out...it kind of takes away my motivation to weld.

First I have to let everyone know about a product that I found that is simply awesome! My neighbor gave me a bucket of these, and they are the best hand cleaners that I have ever used...even better than the pumice orange hand cleaners. They are rough towels that won't disintegrate but they are simply unbeatable for cleaning serious dirt off your hands. I got these for free, but I would buy them, they are that good.

I got my trailer put together and will deck this thing either this week or maybe next weekend, so my smoker has a permanent home and I can finish it up.

I have to put the fenders and lights on it too, but I cheated and took it for a spin around the neighborhood...It trailed like a dream.

I put this together for way less than I could have purchased one, and I used heavier material than they build them with. Besides, I have always wanted to build a trailer from scratch, and it was a fun mini project inside the larger "Reverse Flow BBQ Project".

Here we go again!! More building stuff!! I love it. Can't wait to see next pics. Well, guess I have to, but sure look forward to them. Great job BBQ Eng

oh yes scrubs in a bucket i like too we sell at where i work.
great build keep us posted as i got lots of idears just lacken time for now
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great job on the trailer. What kind of decking do you plan on using?
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looking forward to more!!! I think you should move closer to me so you can help me build a new smoker cause you have skills and come nice equipment
biggrin.gif

I plan to have the trailer completed and more pics later this week...I have been working on it SLOWLY, but it is about to heat up again. I have a competition in October that I'm doing, and will need this to be done. More this weekend!

Wow.....how could I have missed so much of this thread? Incredible what you did since I last saw it, you were cutting the sheetmetal and drip pan/ baffle. Seriously impressed with your work and work ethic, BBQ.....you sure have some skill!

points.gif

Here are some updates on my trailer.

I have the thing complete, and am painting and putting the deck on (ran out of paint...Mrs. Engineer is gonna grab me some more this afternoon). I have put in some framing to receive the smoker and I am continuing to work on this today.

I think lights are vulnerable on most trailers, and people that are helping you lash things down will usually use them as a step...go ahead, I built mine to be ok if you did!

Light wiring I ran in conduit. It has a custom bend around the axle!

I found some trailer stabilizer jacks that will fold out of the way and then drop into position. This will keep the trailer from tipping. They are pretty convenient! Here they are folded and out of the way.

If you drop them down and raise a lever, the lower leg drops and the trailer is stabilized. They make these so you could load bikes on a trailer without it being hooked to the tow vehicle.

I made a foot plate from some pipe and scraps. I'll get it painted too.

I'm using some hammered metal paint on the trailer. I really like this stuff and the textural look it gives.

I'm gonna round up the neighbors next and get this thing loaded with my smoker. More pics to come on the move.

That is a really nice job on the trailer. WOW you are really putting in the little extras that will make a big difference in the long run
Thanks for posting the pics

Hey Morkdach...

Story of my life...I'm constantly busy, and I have found that if it weren't for the last minute, I'd never get anything done!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Hi Everyone,

I got the neighbors together and we moved the smoker onto it's very own trailer. We got way smarter in the process too, because it was almost too easy!

I took the door off of the top chamber and this lightened the load. We stopped short of taking all of the doors off when the tractor lifted it no problem.

This time, we made the transfer on more level ground. That made everyone a little more sure footed!

We strapped the smoker further back on the lever arm, reducing the leverage required, and increasing the mechanical advantage...worked like a champ!

Off of one trailer, and we moved that one out of the way. Drove the smoker a few feet forward, and then backed the new trailer under it.

After we moved the smoker, one of my neighbors wanted to drive my zero turn mower. After he made a couple of loops around the driveway, I flagged him over, kicked on the blades, and I felt just like Tom Sawyer as he mowed my yard and I sat there and drank a beer!

Got the smoker welded to the trailer, and took a test drive to make sure all was good. It passed with flying colors! Moved it back to the shop.

It is now back in the shop and I am in the process of finishing it and spit shining the thing in preparation of painting it. Yup...I just love standing on my head welding upside down under the thing.

Here is Hannah my helper cow dog. She was kind of freaked out at my power tools and some of the loud noises that were coming from the shop. You can tell, because her tail is way tucked under her belly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky