new build of a reverse flow smoker(pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclebeef

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
hello all,UNCLEBEEF here. i was lucky enough to score a 250 gallon propane tank. i successfully burned off the propane and opened up the tank.then removed the paint and started work on a trailer.my plans are to build a reverse flow with two doors that will function as one.im debating on materials for the grates should i use round rod or expanded metal? tell me what ya think, any suggestions? im also thinking about using 10ga sheet steel for the drip pan/baffle. anyone out there build one similar?

Wow. That's gonna be badazz man...

I know I will use expanded metal and angle iron along the edges for my shelves/racks...

10 Ga. is a little heavy...no need really. 12's plenty...14 MIGHT twist... but a little reinforcement and I bet it's fine. Expanded is the way to go..lighter and also easier. Just be sure to get like a 12 Ga. in that. Or..again. reinforced grates.

thanks PINKMEAT! im like a kid in a candy store dreaming up new ideas and trying to improve on old ones. yeah ill have to register it. here in colorado you can call it a ''homemade'' trailer and tell them an approx. value. they base the cost of the plates on that.im leaning towards expanded metal for the ease of completion, but i think the solid round may hold up better.

I would think the solid round would require some heavy duty support, but if you have a plasma cutter, I bet you can weld as well and you're up to the challenge :)

hey RICHTEE what do you think about welding the baffle in all the way around(water tight ) i may try a water pan or flavor it with applejuice or?
yeah PINKMEAT i can weld. if you know someone who welds buy a welding helmet and watch them while they do it. you will pick up little tricks alot faster when you can SEE what they doing and a good used machine is normaly reasonably priced. just took a couple more pics.im starting the layout of the doors.

My single door was a pain to line up. Maybe it just gets easier with time. I used painter's tape, then spray-painted a little, and removed the tape to leave a line to cut on...worked well for me.

im just using the tape as a straight edge. then ill use a silver colored marker ,then ill remove the tape and use a flexable metal straight edge to guide the plasma cutter.im not going to completely cut the doors until i have some hinges tacked in place to hold everything square.

Out here in the sticks we have to use grinder with thin metal cutting wheel. 1 blade $4.00. Plasma $1500.00. Great looking rig. Look forward to final pics and post. Please show more photos along the way. Thank you.

My dear uncle.... Its your nephew from California long lost yes! I want one!
lmao! nice looking rig cant wait to see its progression.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

long lost nephew is that really you? do you remember the $500.00 dollars you borrowed? im waiting!!!! ......just kidding
biggrin.gif
thanks for the thumbs up. ill get to work on it tommorrow and keep posting pics.

Looking great!

Whats the diameter, 30" or 24"?

Can't wait to see more!! When you cut the doors, take your time so as not to overheat them which can warp em. If you leave a little metal uncut on each side (which would mean the door won't fall out), then let it cool and finish all the cuts after "tacking" the hinges of course:-)

By the looks of your work so far, I think you probably know that!!!

Steve

what part of the sticks ya'll from round here plasma most of us have 1 just for backup like a spare $4 blade

How do you know that all the propane is empty and it is safe to cut.... I can get the tanks no problems...

Will ya be willin to share some drawings or some info on the specs for someone that don't have a clue on how to build one. Just talking about the smoker, allready built some trailors and such. Heck i really don't know what reverse flow is all about but i would like to know if someone is willing to educate this hillbilly. edit done a search found a description of a reverse flow.

smok'n steve, its a 30 in. dia. ive read some of your previous posts and thought your door idea was pretty good ,so thats what im planning to do.one good thing about my plasma cutter is speed, you can cut fairly quick and avoid heating up the metal too much.

rdstaples, propane being a GAS is lighter than water.when you have the tank empty and the valves removed you can fill it with water FULLY until it spilling out of all the holes on the top of the tank.while its filling youll be able to see gas vapor being pushed out of the tank. second i siphoned about 15% of the water and added a heavy industrial powdered soap similar to boraxo to the tank and drove to work a few days to let it agitate and slosh and spill out of the top holes.then i drained the tank and left the bottom plug out,added some dawn dishwashing liquid that advertised odor control and spent about ten bucks at the car wash steaming the inside.after all that i hooked up a shop vac hose to the exhaust of a truck and filled the empty tank with carbon monoxide, to further eliminate any flammable gases. then i cut, i had no problems. hope this helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky