New Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Matt

I've never seen one displayed anywhere, it's just not that popular. It is hotter at the top,but not much,maybe 10 degrees.

I'm still really glad I got it, did ribs and a pizza fatty today,best I've made so far.

I received Trail master Vertical smoker for fathers day. I put it together sealed everything I could find that would leak and sealed all the doors with lavalock and built a metal basket for the charcoal/wood. I also purchased the IQ120  with the standard adapter and received it Friday morning. I cured the smoker yesterday and had a little problem keeping the cooking chambers temp but was able to get the cure done. I should mention this is the first time that I've used an offset smoker.

Today, I started smoking a pork shoulder went on around 9:30 this morning, I put the ribs on around 2:30 this afternoon. After I put the ribs on, about 30 minutes later my problems started. I could only maintain 210 degrees in the cooking chamber. I went and purchased a 1" valve, drilled a hole in the center of the dampener and attached the valve, hooked everything back up and my temp started climbing. I was happy and thought I had cured the problem, twenty minutes later the temp dropped to 190 degrees and I was unable to get it back up to 225 degrees.

can someone help me with this?

I received Trail master Vertical smoker for fathers day. I put it together sealed everything I could find that would leak and sealed all the doors with lavalock and built a metal basket for the charcoal/wood. I also purchased the IQ120  with the standard adapter and received it Friday morning. I cured the smoker yesterday and had a little problem keeping the cooking chambers temp but was able to get the cure done. I should mention this is the first time that I've used an offset smoker.

Today, I started smoking a pork shoulder went on around 9:30 this morning, I put the ribs on around 2:30 this afternoon. After I put the ribs on, about 30 minutes later my problems started. I could only maintain 210 degrees in the cooking chamber. I went and purchased a 1" valve, drilled a hole in the center of the dampener and attached the valve, hooked everything back up and my temp started climbing. I was happy and thought I had cured the problem, twenty minutes later the temp dropped to 190 degrees and I was unable to get it back up to 225 degrees.

can someone help me with this?
Did you have the chimney open all the way?

My CyberQ with the chimney open, will keep it at 250 all day.. The only time I open the stock vents is if I have had the cooking chamber door open for awhile. Once the temp is back up, I run off the fan again..

We had a big family get together today... 

10# brisket.

3 nice big chickens that were left over from "last years crop"

​some venison sausage..

A little breakfast to go with the smoke..

Last edited:
I did have it open all the way.  Could it be that my charcoal basket doesn't have enough clearance, right now my charcoal basket is setting on top of my charcoal grate that came with the smoker.

Did a bit of looking around on the site and a wood (cherry and oak) and lump combo work best.doing a corned brisket now for pastrami.the temp. flucuation issues are now rising to the high side of all things.having trouble getting it below 265...but a brisket can handle occasional spikes for 15 /30 minutes unlike other cuts of meat. Will post the pics later.....much later.did not get it (3.25 lbs.) on till 10 am.never did pastrami dones dozens of briskets ....fingers crossed.

I found that starting it with charcoal then going to straight wood, I can get the temp up. with the wood I had to move my basket back down. smoked a shoulder this weekend and it turned out great.

Thanks to all for the help.

Hey, all I can say Is, thank you. I seen this smoker in Home depot and thought, man I sure like that one. Your hard work, just made my home work a breeze. I'm Ordering the Mod kit today and next week I'm going to Home depot and pick up my smoker. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks a million.

Glenn

Pastrami came out great.10 hrs. at 225/ 250 on the smoker and a hour in the oven on steam.

Has anyone used a BBQ Guru DigiQ CyberQ or other similar product with a Brinkmann Vertical smoker?  I'm wondering what size fan I should get.  10CFM or 25 CFM?  I never really fill the smoker with food at one time.  Usually 1-2 racks at a time.

Has anyone used a BBQ Guru DigiQ CyberQ or other similar product with a Brinkmann Vertical smoker?  I'm wondering what size fan I should get.  10CFM or 25 CFM?  I never really fill the smoker with food at one time.  Usually 1-2 racks at a time.
Hi Dan

I actually looked at these a couple of days ago, but they're a bit out of my budget right now.  From what I could see I think the 10CFM would be plenty big enough.  They rate the 25 for "those wood fires in BIG BBQ Pits such as large offsets, whole hog cookers, oil drum pits and more", I think that would be too much for this size smoker.

Be sure to let us know if you get one installed, I would be very interested to see how you did it and how it works.

Thanks,

David

Hello to all ....I just got my "New Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical Smoker" about a week ago and been doing a lot of work on it...... Will do my 1st smoke this weekend....Pictures coming soon.

Hello to all ....I just got my "New Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical Smoker" about a week ago and been doing a lot of work on it...... Will do my 1st smoke this weekend....Pictures coming soon.
Hey LeeLee, welcome aboard, can't wait to see the pictures.  You should stop by and post over at Roll Call, so that you can get a proper SMF welcome!

I found the great cheap / temporary fix for air flow issues....a hair dryer on a block next to the fire box vent, multi speed, you can move it closer if need be.on days with no wind.....worked incredibly well .try it then you will have a good idea how much air flow you need for a permanent fix.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky