Needed Burner Thoughts and Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Troc832

Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
Hi new to the site so I'm green. I love this forum though. I'm like a kid in a candy store looking at all the different mods. So many amazing inventions here.

Ok So I'm a deep south guy living in S. Cal now. I recent was able to get my hands on 2 MB XL smokers. One was somewhat modded the other was in good shape but need a new burner.

My question is it possible to change the burners to better upgraded burners or replace them with original ones. The model number of both smokers are 20050211 and 20051313. My head is bursting with things to ask but think I will hold of for help on this one first. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I would say most likely you are better off to use original replacements. Will most likely fit better without a lot of mods and the correct btu's which could be a safety factor. Just my $.02.

Warren

This Northern Tool burner will provide great temp control... You "may" have to mod the smoker a bit to get it to fit... Don't know for sure... Install a needle valve on the incoming propane line..

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_15490_15490
330973_2000x2000.jpg

Thanks for the comments. As for sticking with the original your points were some of my concerns if I were to upgrade. The reason I want to up grade is the original seems to be cheaply made and rust fairly quickly. Daveomak I was hoping you would respond seen you are very active here and have comments all over of some good ideas trying to help others. I was think on a burner somewhat like you posted but it was just the burner. I was thinking I could just switch out the burner, that way I would be able to keep the original igniter. Here are a few burners I was leaning to. After reading some comments I like the one that comes with a 30 psi regulator, but I can get the regulator separate. So please I welcome thoughts and recommendations.View attachment 406671
Hongso CBBG14 Silvery Cast Iron Replacement Banjo Burner.jpg
GasOne High Pressure Cast Iron Burner With Brass Fitting Orfice.jpg

First, you want a low pressure regulator... Then incorporate a needle valve to regulate gas flow...
Then you can reduce the BTU output of the burner...
Plug 1/4 to 3/4 the holes in the burner using cut off nails to get to the desired BTU output.... Different burners require some out of the box thinking...
Burner BTU reductiion.JPG .. Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG

Burner BTU reductiion3.JPG . Burner BTU reductiion4.png

Adjust the holes and stuff so you can easily smoke meats at 110-130F...
The return to other temps will be easy...
This mod has been done by many members...

Thanks for the advice. After reading some other mods is why I was going to the 30 psi hose direction. Other was using it to control the heat, comments were that the masterbuilt control was not sufficient. But after reading your reply I see I missed that they were also using a needle valve so I get it now. Do you also have any thoughts on heat deflectors for the MB. I was reading some ole post by mavrik about flare ups and grease drippings. He had done some nice mods to his.

Lower the burner temp and grease dripping should slow down or stop... Those high temps are melting the fat...

Thank you alot of info and idea here love the site and help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky