Need some help, Homecoming Tailgate and wondering what I should smoke

Discussion in 'Pork' started by chorizodahitman, Sep 28, 2011.

1. for the home opener, I smoked a rack of ribs and my first fatty. Trying to figure out what I can smoke this time. Was thinking maybe a Bacon-Cheeseburger fatty but want to do something else too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The game is Saturday at 2:00 p.m. I will probably start smoking around midnight.

2. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

I like ABT , chicken bites wrap in bacon or monks..
    Insideout hamburgers. The list could go in for ever!!
    How about some pig candy .

3. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]That fatty sounds great and I do like some Brisket !!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

If your going to do an all nighter, I would go with a pork butt. They are very hard to screw up.

And everybody likes a good pulled pork sammie!

5. going with a pork butt. My only concern is time. The game is at 2:00 p.m., with an hour and a half drive to Fort Collins from Denver. A good tailgate has to be about 4 hours long, which means we need to leave by 9:00 a.m. If I start the butt at 11:00 p.m., will it be ready by 8:00 a.m.? I have made butts in a roaster, but have never smoked one. Little concerned. Don't know if I should cook it from 11-6 and do the last 2 hours in the oven (like they talk about on the front page of the site) or just chance it and expect 9 hours will do the trick. Advice please.

6. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

You are pushing the time.  I would do the day before.  I've had butts take 14 hours.  They are better the longer they sit in the ice chest.

7. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I agree, do it the day before and take the stress away.

8. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Id start it around 7pm to give you time. If its a 8lb butt it should take about 10-12 hours. Then you can hold it in a cooler for a good 3-4 hours. So 7 will give you the room if it goes a bit longer.

9. I have to coach a football game Friday night, so can't start it until after the game. It might be something I do tonight then. Start it around 7 and cook it all night and pull it tomorrow morning. Thanks.

10. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Just because of the time constraints i would go with a fattie and ABTS or smoked chili.This is just me but i would rather do something i know would fit in my plan than something i hoped would fit.[​IMG]

11. I bought a few pounds of sausage to smoke, and some beans to smoke in their own trays. Maybe I will go with bacon wrapped boneless chicken thighs with ham and cheese inside. I have grilled these in the past and they have tasted great.

12. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

The chicken thights sound great.  Why not plan a Sunday to smoke the Butt  Freeze it and then warm and serve sandwiches for the game. 

13. Sounds like a good plan Chorizo.

14. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

CHILI

[​IMG]

ABT's

[​IMG]

Philly Cheesesteak Fatty

[​IMG]

Turkey Panini (one of my favorites

[​IMG]

DINO EGGS

[​IMG]

BOURBON BACON CHICKEN

[​IMG]

BUFFALO DRUMSTICKS

[​IMG]

BUFFALO CHICKEN LOLLIPOPS

[​IMG]

MOINKDONALD BALLS, sorry they're not cooked

[​IMG]

ROACHES, SPONGEBOBS AND PINEAPPLE BITES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Nice!

16. Dino Eggs? From what I see, it looks like a boiled egg surrounded by sausage

wrapped in bacon, is that correct?

Anyway, what those fellows have suggested sounds great to me, good luck, win...James

17. sqwib

Correct

18. Hold on a second....Moink "Donald" balls?  Please tell me you have a Chicken Nugget stuffed in there.... [​IMG]

19. sqwib

No chicken, I came up with this recipe trying to duplicate the taste of a McDonald's Cheeseburger, its actually pretty close.

20. Coming up to Foco huh? I might have to drop by lol...