Need Brisket Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike, thx again very much. That's very helpful. A few more questions for now, and then I'll leave you alone. :) 

- Before you apply your rub, do you wipe the meat with oil or anything else?

- Do you mop at all during the smoke?

- Do you add chips throughout the whole smoke? 

Can't wait to try again.

Thx again!
I've rubbed with yellow mustard, and forgot to rub with yellow mustard.  I couldn't tell any difference in bark or flavor.  I don't mop, I don't open the smoker until the brisket is at 190.  I put 4-5 fist size chunks of wood on the smoker, they smoke the entire cook.  

Don't worry about bothering us, we are here to help.

Mike

LearningAZ,

Wrapping vs not wrapping is a bit like the Hatfields and McCoys. You have folks swear either way. I was a non-wrapper for a couple years. I got on a kick a while back to take my brisket to the next level and after much research and experimentation started wrapping. What got my attention was Aaron Franklin of the famous Franklin's barbecue in Austin Texas. Is brisket has fantastic looking bark and he's a wrapper. He does wrap in butcher paper as do I.

Bark can be a function of many things (smoker temp and moisture, rub) including how and when to wrap. My experience has shown me that you can wrap and have good bark. The key is when you wrap. Wait until your bark has set and that will help. I don't wrap at any certain temperature I wrap when I reach a good color and bark.

Also, you don't need sugar in your rub to get a good bark either. Here in Texas were brisket is King just salt-and-pepper is common. Another trick I picked up for Aaron Franklin is to use coarse black pepper in your rub and a lot of it. Just don't use freshly cracked pepper as it will be too strong.

Now I am not saying you should do one or the other. I just think you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. Your bark will be harder without wrapping of course. But it can also be a tad dry if your not careful. Good luck in your quest for brisket nirvana. Brisket is the best smoking meat ever!

Here are a couple pics of my latest brisket I did this weekend. It was wrapped in butcher paper.

Last edited:
Temp is a guideline, some briskets probe tender at different temps. The connective tissues break down at temps above 165....but it's not instantaneous, it takes time. Theoretically you could pull your brisket at 185, hold it at that temp for a while and have it probe tender with the temp never going above 185, it would just take longer than pushing the temps up higher. Personally I cook beef at 275-300, wrap in butcher paper around 165 and let it finish in the paper until its tender, then let it rest until the temps come back down to 150ish...only slice what you plan on eating...Google "bludawgs kiss brisket" for the details....blu has it figured out. I never liked wrapping in foil, but butcher paper is the perfect compromise between getting the bark of unwrapped meat and the moist/faster cook time of foil....highly recommend trying it!

Hey, thanks again everyone who helped with my smoke a few weeks ago. Ready to try again. :) Where do you "wrappers" get your butcher paper?

Thx!
Jeff

I ordered mine off amazon, get the "pink" butcher paper that's rated for cooking, nothing waxed or anything like that....definitely get the 24" wide roll.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky